Framework Laptop 13 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.05 Release and Driver Bundle

Thanks for the answer, much appreciated.

For me was the same, laptop shut down and stayed on black screen. I did not dare to reboot it for more than -10h. After reading your comment, I pressed the power button for quite a long time to reboot it. It was error 2 decompress failed as well.

I probably will read more comments here before I decide whether to upgrade to BIOS 3.05.

well, i’ve just had it happen again in 3.03. I’ve tried disabling the NVMe/PCIe sleep setting in the BIOS, but it still happens. I’ve managed to get a picture of the error by having a terminal open with dmesg -w, and running the amd_s2idle.py script.

nvme 0000:02:00.0: Unable to change power state from D3cold to D0, device inaccessible

I can consistently reproduce it. At this point, I don’t know what to do, because it makes the laptop pretty unusable… should I try Windows?

With the last of my college exams finished, I did the bios reset today by accessing the mainboard switch, as instructed.

However, now the system aways requires the boot password at boot, not just when trying to access bios. This is new behavior and I now can’t use the system at all.

I tried the old password and some basic ones in case there was a default. I also redid the reset a few more times, but no change

As a workaround, you could try echo 0 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:02\:00.0/d3cold_allowed from a root shell, which should temporarily disable the SSD sleeping, but I’m not sure how that will interact with sleep.

What SSD are you using, are you able to upgrade it’s firmware too?

UPDATE: After further review of the support pages and in spending more time on searching for similar issues in other threads, I was able to try again today and finally succeed in doing the reset.

A post response by sgilderd at the end of this thread: Reset forgotten BIOS password - #17 by sgilderd helped me the most.

Instructions followed (Specific to FW13 AMD and a few edits I’ve starred.):

1. Plug in the system to AC. *
  2. Remove the Input Cover.
  3. Press the chassis open switch in the center [top] of the Mainboard 10 times, you must press it slowly, so press for 2 seconds. Release, wait for the red blink on the Mainboard LEDs *. repeat.
  4. Press the power button to boot the system
  5. BIOS settings will be reset to defaults.
1 Like

Is there any kind of notification I can subscribe to for these updates?

It’d be ideal to get an email or something when a new bios/driver pack is released.

1 Like

I got an email from Framework about this update on April 25th.

1 Like

Nice that you’d need to look this up, but doesn’t bypassing the bios password ruin the point of a bios password?

Yesterday I experienced a strange issue. Under heavy load, the CPU went up to about 97 degrees (Celsius) but fan did not turn on. Shut down the laptop completely, turned it back on, and fans immediately kicked on to full speed (even during the EFI POST).
FW Version: 0.3.5

I don’t think that it matters, as fans should be controlled by the EC, but:
Ubuntu 24.04
kernel 6.8.0-31-generic

There is nearly always a fairly easy way to do that on a PC, if you can open the PC up.

If you couldn’t reset the bios password when you forget it or don’t know what you set, then how would you ever use your laptop again? There has to be a way to reset it or it would create even more e-waste - throwing the whole laptop away and replacing it.

I’ve been having a similar issue since 3.03. Sometimes apps will just crash, the DE will start showing visual bugs, and shutting down will result in an error, making me have to hard reset. Sometimes everything freezes. I think the filesystem is going into read only, hence why no logs are showing up. I reported this a while ago [RESPONDED] SSD Does not Wake up After Suspend - AMD. But I never figured it out. I have been running dmesg constantly in hopes of seeing any logs when it occurs.

So I rolled all the drivers back and am still getting the BSOD. Rolled the BIOS back to 3.03b and the issue went away. I’ve just put 3.05 back on and the issue is back.

Is anyone else getting this issue on 3.05?

It seems upon further research, my usage of tuned instead of PPD might be causing the SSD crash on sleep (cc @Mario_Limonciello.) But after switching back to PPD, I had the problem of the crash after a few hours of usage again, so I downgraded to 3.03 again. It would seem that both problems are related, but happen under different circumstances (many hours of usage vs. after waking from sleep)

I’m using a WD SN770 2TB. fwupdmgr get-updates reports that it doesn’t have updates available.

You should go and check for any SSD firmware upgrades for your disks. Often manufacturers don’t push them for Linux, but you might be able to find an upgrade you can install in Windows or from a bootable USB key.

2 Likes

Oh interesting.

Also adding to what @Mario_Limonciello said, here’s a guide for WD drives on the Arch Wiki.

1 Like

I update the firmware of my lexar ssd and ended up not being able to use it on most linux distros as they wpuld ship older kernels that did not yet support that new firmware…

To update WD SSD firmware from linux, check this thread: Western Digital Drive Update Guide Without Windows/WD Dashboard - #48 by nos1609

I followed the manual directions (roughly) to update my SN770 1TB:

$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0n1
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Number:                       WD_BLACK SN770 1TB
Firmware Version:                   731120WD

@ChimP.the.PimP - is this a NM790? If so, where did you find the firmware update?