Framework Laptop 13 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.08 Release BETA - Held

Well I dont use the battery features much. but I have to add that the fan sensors are reporting wrong info. (Using aurora, they report they are going full blast all the time even when no noise). Installed the update due to the security fixes.

I talked to support about the flipping issues the other week, and they recommended I install 3.08 (once it is fully released) to fix it.

From the original post, they have updated the charge limit logic to prevent micro cycles.

As an example, if the user sets the battery charge limit to 80%, the battery will maintain a state of charge between 80% and 75%. And will not charge up to 80% until it has discharged to 75% while the system is on.

Is that what you are describing? (It would be really nice if they’d open source the 3.08 EC firmware so we could see what they were doing)

Also, anyone following this thread using 3.08, can you confirm that this is now the behavior on charger under load?

@Quin_Chou It’s been about a month since this BIOS was released. When can we expect an update on next steps?

2 Likes

Come December we might actually get a proper stable BIOS update…

I will also add that fwupdmgr continues to want to upgrade to the now pulled 3.07 BIOS, including after fwupdmgr refresh --force. Unless this is an issue due to some weird cache behaviour, can FW please pull the broken update from LVFS so that people don’t accidentally upgrade to a BIOS version that has been officially withdrawn?

Edit: Yes, one can permanently mark the update as “to be ignored” with fwupdmgr block-firmware <checksum> where <checksum> comes from the “Checksum” property in the summary of the update ( fwupdmgr get-updates). But that’s not the point, if it has been marked as “held” it should also have been pulled from LVFS.

4 Likes

December of what year, though?

1 Like

Whichever comes out of the random number generator :neutral_face:

I reached out to Framework support through the ticket I have open about the battery flipping.

Currently we are not able to provide further details of the exact ETA of the proper stable BIOS update.

When I asked if it would be weeks or months:

As much as we want to provide how many weeks, months it will take to release the BIOS update however, we still don’t have any update yet.

Please be advised that we are always trying our best to deploy the latest BIOS updates as soon as possible for our customers who are experiencing issues with the current BIOS.

And to the employees that (I really, really hope) are watching this thread, yes, I know that there’s no way support has access to these details, but I have a broken $1400 laptop and two courses of action for trying to get it fixed.

  1. Support (see above for how that went)
  2. Community forums (well, you read this thread :upside_down_face: )

By the way, it’s May now.

7 Likes

As much as I want to love this company, and I have a laptop and am invested, you really can’t be selling laptops at $1000+ and then giving out multiple broken BIOS updates and going, so far, up to 5 months without a fix.

We can do better. Surely.

12 Likes

it arrives :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This post is being locked as the 3.09 BETA is now available. Framework Laptop 13 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.09 Release BETA

1 Like