Framework Laptop 16 Batch Shipment Chart

Bud is dedicated, and I respect that. Keep up the great work man(or gal, or whatever you are)!

4 Likes

I am completely invested in the linearity and slope of these lines.

8 Likes

Someone in the Batch 19 guild brought up the fact that we were supposed to get the email much earlier, before the most recent batch info was released. Due to the labor day mid way through the last batch release, I wonder if that might be skewing the data a little bit.

1 Like

First batch 14 just arrived

6 Likes

Card was just charged for Batch 15

4 Likes

UPDATE 5-10-2024: Batch 14 Arrivals and Batch 15 Charges

Batch 14 has begun to get laptops today, enjoy your new laptops! Batch 15 was also charged today!

Deltas Chart

Average Email-Card Delta: 4.4
Average Card-Arrival Delta: 3.6
Average Batch-Batch Delta (Excluding Batch 1-4): 4.9

Far Predictions

Data is gathered from the FW16 Batch guilds here on the Framework Forums.
The Google Sheet containing all the data and charts is linked in the first post of this topic.

5 Likes

B16 once seemed like forever ago, now I’m next… whattt. Trying and failing to act like an adult and not check my email constantly.

Partly why I’m so hyped is I’ve always I been such a cheapskate about these things. It’s the first time I let that go and splurged on the actual powerful config I really want. No more settling.

After all, it’s not like we’ll have to buy a whole bloody new laptop every couple years anymore :partying_face: Good… riddance… to those days.

8 Likes

Batch 15 has finally shipped!

4 Likes

When is Batch 16 heads up email coming?

1 Like

Batch 15 was 6 days ago, so they’re behind tempo a bit. Hopefully they come today!

1 Like

Still haven’t got a batch 15 shipping notification yet, though other people getting it gives me hope that it’ll arrive sooner than I thought it would!

2 Likes

Honestly, I would rather get a laptop which does not have to go thru RMA and wait a few days more.

I’m hoping that because I’m batch 15 that most if not all issues will be resolved and hopefully we won’t have to go through RMA like the earlier batches :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Are RMAs really that frequent for the current batches? It seems like the earliest issues were largely addressed. Outliers tend to appear to be bigger problems than they are because people are much more likely to share their problems than when everything goes as expected. I haven’t looked at these forums too much, outside of the batch status, but the reddit framework community doesn’t seem flooded with people complaining of having to RMA their new units.

3 Likes

Most of the problems seem to be niggly things like the SSD screws that are cross threaded, though one or two people do seem to have failed dGPU units.

My batch 12 unit has had no problems at all apart from the distorted touchpad problem that seems to affect every unit. The distortion appears to result from attaching the touchpad components to a flat sheet of metal, and the glue curing then stresses it as far as I can see.

So I am loving my 3.2:2 screen …

3 Likes

So since I have pre-ordered FW back in march, I have been checking forums and discord quite actively. I have to admit that the situation is getting better. The further we get throughout the batches, the less people complaining about issues I am seeing. However, there are still some shenanigans going on with FW16:

1. Terrible fit on spacers
  2. Broken threading on the main SSD screw
  3. bezel pinching the screen

I honestly do not know why these issues occur because checking for these literally takes 2 minutes. Those 2 minutes are far less expensive and far more sustainable/ecological than shipping the laptop across the world 2 times. Normally, I would not point out the ecology aspect but framework advertises that they attempt to be eco-friendly.

It’s a shame that the touchpad situation happened. It should have been fixed from the engineering standpoint. Framework definitely saw during their early samples that the modules do not align well and at that time they should have come up with sth.

1 Like

I have seen all three issues mentioned. The stripped screw issue seemed the most concerning. I’ve seen workarounds mentioned (e.g. shove a fingernail under the screwhead and lift while turning), but we just shouldn’t have to deal with something so fundamentally broken.

I’m pretty sure I saw someone say FW just sent them replacement spacers without having to do a full RMA. I would hope so, because otherwise that would be ridiculous. That being said, it sounds like the fault tolerance on the spacers are low enough that poor fit can range from FW saying “we’ll send replacements” to “that’s just how they (sorta) fit”.

I wasn’t clear from the most recent bezel issues I saw people complaining about whether this was an actual design issue, or an assembly issue. Several times people suggested checking the cabling to make sure none of them were pinched, and then the person complaining stopped updating the thread. If its not an assembly issue, though, I can’t see how it wouldn’t be an instant RMA. The complaints of the screen feeling flimsy were my biggest concern after seeing the initial reviews.

1 Like

How common our these issues? I’d hope they’d be quite rare. It’s worth noting, as I believe someone has already mentioned, that most people only comment about their laptop if something is wrong. I’d imagine most people would get their laptop and be content enough that they didn’t need to make any comments. At least that’s what I hope…

I believe I was the one who said that :slight_smile:

I’ve only really been monitoring the reddit Framework community, but these issues don’t seem super common to me, outside of general complaints of the gaps in the spacers. Most people seem to leave it as a cosmetic issue that they can live with.

I saw multiple complaints about bad screws last month so it definitely seems like a recurring issue, but again it’s hard to gauge just how common it is. If I had to guess, I’d say uncommon, but frequent enough that Framework should have taken some additional steps in their QA process to address it.

3 Likes