Framework Laptop 16 Deep Dive - Memory and Storage

I wanted to leave a comment to consider some way to implement (LP)DDR5-7500 and eventually higher speeds for Ryzen 7040 and later - I wouldn’t mind soldered memory mainboards either - anyways you should be running dual/quad channel and you can upgrade the mainboard as a whole when the time comes

And another comment regarding the battery; it was stated in the Q&A that the reason for not larger batteries (at least in the 13") was that no larger exist - the ROG Flow X13 uses a ~70Whr battery (while also having a dGPU) and the older pre 2016 13" Macbooks have been using batteries around that size 10 years ago (though admittedly they are custom)

I would also like to see 1000-nit displays like the ones used in business HP laptops (saves battery even if you’re at lower brightness) and LTE support

By larger you mean more Watts, not physical size.

• Clearly both batteries of a larger size and hence more watts exist but
  • given the design and following physical restraints then I’m sure Framework
    have the optimum battery ~ given cost

So did you check it’s dimensions ??

Note a modular laptop will require more space than a soldered old standard blob.

ECC. It’s what we want. !!!

4 Likes

They are both 13" laptops

If you want to be pedantic about it:

Flow X13: 29.9x21.3x1.875/1000 = 1.194 Liter (at thickest point)

29.9x21.3x1.675/1000 = 1.066 Liter (at thinnest point)

FW 13: 29.663x22.898x1.585/1000 = 1.076 Liter

Measurements courtesy of Ultrabookreview and Notebookcheck, respectively

It is heavier by 10% though

Off topic, so bye :wave: this is about Memory and storage.

Space is all there is.

So much storage! I’m probably not going to go all out at first since prices are not cheap for larger NVMes

It is hoped that ECC memory can be supported.

3 Likes

@Mapleleaf

I have a question about RAM: will it still be possible to use RAM from other makers, or will it be dependent on those in-house custom-made Framework DDR5 RAM DIMMs?

That’s answered in the first paragraph:

on DIY Edition, you can choose any of the modules we offer in the Marketplace or bring your own

(emphasis mine)

Also I think it’s fair to say that it would run counter to the company’s core ideology if they only allowed their own memory modules to be used. The credo of Framework is that consumers should have freedom to repair and customise their electronics without being bound by the manufacturer’s artificially contrived constraints.

4 Likes

@Igby Thanks! Right, I don’t know why I thought that but I found it ambiguous why they had to design in-house RAM in the first place… hence my concern that it was somehow out of technical necessity…
Much relieved that it is not the case!

2230 for the second mainboard SSD slot feels like a bad compromise.

Yes, you can use 1 TB storage expansion cards but they are bespoke and slow.
Yes, you can use a m.2 expansion bay module but then you lose discrete graphics support.

Having two 2280 slots isn’t even necessarily about trying to get 16 TB of total storage in the laptop. It’s more about having cheaper ways to get 4 TB of storage as 2 + 2 TB or to get 8 TB of storage as 4 + 4 TB, and having a cheap way to have a secondary SSD for dual booting.

1 Like

Personally I am very happy with those two M.2 slots!
There was a lot of discussion in another thread about how they could create a M.2 2280 slot convertible into two 2230 slots (this was proposed by a community member, not by Framework)… and in the end they did much better than that!

3 Likes

What I got was that “OEM” RAM modules intended for laptop manufacturers are not also available for retail sale. Framework wanted to offer the exact same RAM modules, both pre-installed and sold separately.

5 Likes

I’m READY to BUY Framework Laptop 16 !!! Please tell me it sells/ships this week!!! LOL

1 Like

What exactly are the measures of the FW Laptop 16?
From the previous blog article on the “enclosure”, we only get to know that it is 18/21 mm thick. But how wide and deep/high is it?

Yeah, it sounds like they now have an arrangement where ADATA are producing Framework-badged modules and supplying them to Framework wholesale, and Framework are allowed to retail them as well as OEM them.

1 Like

Well this thread lit up like a Christmas tree, didn’t it!

Glad we can run dual SSDs inside. One being a 2230 is not ideal and more would have been merrier for my use case, but it’s “acceptable compromise” for the upgrade, repair and modularity gains vs other vendors. Can still put the OS on one drive and data+VMs on the other. She’ll be right.

1 Like

Is there a reason that the 2230 can’t be used as the OS drive? It would seem like a better solution, then that would leave the 2280 available for storage. 2TB should be fine for OS. It may be just a choice of words that seems to imply that the 2230 is for additional storage.

" For the secondary 2230 storage, we offer Western Digital’s SN740 drives in up to 2TB."
Should be able to boot off either drive?

Where did you see that it cannot be done? After reading the post from framework, nothing tells me it cannot be done.

4 Likes

Do we know which PCIe version and how many lanes each M.2 will have?

@John The post says Gen4x4 so that’s 4 lanes of PCIe 4. So max throughput would be about 7.8GB/s.

1 Like