Framework Laptop 16 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.03 Release and Driver Bundle

If you are referring to my output log, the (unlogged) fingerprint firmware update was completed before the (logged) EFI update because I initially forgot to plug the laptop in before running the update command. This first update was a bit of a learning process for me - this is my first time using LVFS to update EFI firmware.

1 Like

Btw what version of fwupd? New enough fwupd I expect to use “capsule on disk” for framework 16. You shouldn’t even need the EFI binary when that’s used.

1 Like

I second this! My activity on the forum will likely dwindle some time after I get my FW16. I’d love to make sure the system stays updated even if I’m not as active.

2 Likes

Just updated with LVFS (fwupd + GNOME firmware) as well. Worked fine using fwupd 1.9.15:

motzky@framework  ~  fwupdmgr --version  
compile   com.hughsie.libxmlb           0.3.15
compile   org.freedesktop.Passim        0.1.5
compile   com.hughsie.libjcat           0.2.1
compile   org.freedesktop.fwupd         1.9.15
runtime   org.freedesktop.fwupd-efi     1.5
compile   org.freedesktop.gusb          0.4.8
runtime   org.freedesktop.Passim        0.1.5
runtime   org.freedesktop.gusb          0.4.8
runtime   com.hughsie.libjcat           0.2.1
runtime   org.kernel                    6.8.2-arch2-1
runtime   org.freedesktop.fwupd         1.9.15

1 Like

Does this driver bundle include whatever Microsoft is requiring to use the Windows Studio Effects (which relies on the NPU)?

Currently it doesn’t work on my Framework Laptop 16 and from what I’ve read it is likely due to Microsoft requiring additional driver support from the laptop manufacturer.

1 Like

Hola
@Kieran_Levin , a few follow up questions if you don’t mind:

1. What is the typical turnaround time for the BIOS update and driver bundle move from Beta to Finalized? Weeks, months? Or is it more nuanced based on other factors?
  2. I would assume that once this BIOS update and driver bundle has been finalized, only then does it get pushed into the main production line. Until then the production line continues to use the last stable version. Is this correct?

My attempt to upgrade (that ran into the Secure Boot issues) used fwupdmgr version:

compile   com.hughsie.libxmlb           0.3.15
compile   org.freedesktop.fwupd         1.9.15
runtime   org.freedesktop.fwupd-efi     1.5
runtime   org.kernel                    6.8.2-zen2-1-zen
runtime   org.freedesktop.fwupd         1.9.15

Hmm interesting. I’ll double check some code paths, that message is not expected to me on F16.

1 Like

Updated and it seems to be working fine, only issue was igpu mem got set back to 512MB, and still showed up it set to ‘gaming’ mode in the BIOS. Had to switch it twice to get it to go back to 4GB.

1 Like

had the same issue - wouldn’t have noticed if you haven’t told me, so thanks.

When do we get 5V charging?

Applied and so far so good. No change in the dGPU crashing when connecting an external monitor to the rear usb port after booting up. But completely expected as it’s not in the change notes.

Any plans to fix that? Or is it an amdgpu module bug?

1 Like

I applied the beta bios v3.03 on Friday and have had no issues except today Sunday after gaming on rpcs3 for ~ 1Hr I got a random reboot. No warning or Bsod. I went into event viewer and got an error anout windows boot environment failed to load the HSP firmware (the file %hs does not exist). Then after thay error there is an error reporting that the previous shutdown (which I was gaming and everything was working fine then) was unexpected. Weird thing is the shutdown says thay it happened 4 mines befoe the actual reboot did. Then after that there js a Critical error sayibf the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down. I hope this helps, and if any more information is needed feel free to reach out.

This is a Microsoft invite program. We currently do not have this enabled due to lack of support from Microsoft.

1 Like

What is the failure mode?
Can you describe the device you are attaching, OS, failure steps to reproduce.

Sure, I posted the issue here:

I have three different usb to hdmi adapters I can connect to the rear port (also the hdmi and dp expansion cards). They all act the same.

I have discovered recently that if I launch nvtop (need more testing, but probably anything that wakes it up will work), before connecting to the external port after booting up, it also works fine.

However, I noticed that it will never go back into D3cold mode again, even after rear usb is all disconnected and the dGPU is no longer in use.

Running Fedora 40 beta, and fwupdmgr doesn’t seem to see the update as available:
Determined that the current version is Version: 03.02, and verified that the metadata on disk even has the FW16 firmware in there.

I have disabled secure boot (or I at least think I have, it was weirdly complicated finding the secure boot menu)

Fwupd version:

$ fwupdmgr --version
compile   com.hughsie.libxmlb           0.3.17
compile   org.freedesktop.fwupd         1.9.16
runtime   org.freedesktop.fwupd-efi     1.4
runtime   org.kernel                    6.8.4-300.fc40.x86_64
runtime   org.freedesktop.fwupd         1.9.16

I have the same issue on my Framework 13, see:

I filed a bug report for it:

Thanks

I managed to get it working by deleting everything in the var folder, disabling all remotes (including one called vendor-directory), then enabled lvfs & lvfs-testing, did a refresh, and then suddenly it worked!

I suspect something got into a weird state, and fwupd just went stupid.

EDIT: the fwupd’s var folder. /var/lib/fwupd/ not the whole /var folder :sweat_smile:

I also had a similar question regarding the Graphics Driver as another posted in the AMD FW13 BIOS/Driver thread.

Does the version included in the Framework bundle include the fix for the “Display frozen after smart MUX switching” issue reported in the 6th and 8th FW16 updates? Is that fix going to be only available in the FW version of the driver and will we have to continually look to FW for the updated versions to include the fix or is that fix going to be rolled into all new drivers available directly from AMD, and does the 24.x version available directly from them include it?

Are all new machines shipped with latest stable BIOS? I ask, because assuming this BIOS goes to stable in the next couple of weeks, I’m in Batch 12, so curious if it’s likely I’ll be getting this or not.

4 Likes