Framework Laptop 16 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.07 Release STABLE

We apologize for the delay in releasing the new BIOS. We are currently validating it for an additional issue that was recently discovered.

We are now performing internal validation and target a beta release for next week.

13 Likes

You guys are amazing.

The progress you’ve made regarding community communications and announcements is stunning! GO FRAMEWORK!

Edit: take all the time you need, I don’t mind waiting as long as everything is polished for the 5070 launch.

4.00 takes time but works well and solves all problems with 140W/240W chargers is way better than a rushed 4.00 release available today but with issues IMHO.

Seems unwise to stay on a BIOS version with known UEFI vulnerabilities: article about Framework UEFI vulnerabilities (3.07 does fix those vulnerabilities)

That said, I don’t have a dGPU yet, so I’m not experiencing the related issues. I guess everyone should choose how to balance the security risk with any reductions of functionality, at least until the next BIOS version is released.

The choice is between having a fully functional system (by staying on 3.05), or patching a vulnerability that can only be exploited if someone gains physical access to my machine. Easy choice in my opinion.

The article does make a good point that we should not be trusting any secure boot keys set by Microsoft or any vendor. They should only be keys I put there myself. Default keys is always a recipe for disaster.

The sad truth, is every new bios update for the 16 since it was released, has added more debilitating bugs to the system. 3.07 is the worst yet, if you have a dGPU installed. I really hope they resolve all these bugs with the up-coming 4.0.

3 Likes

Here’s to hoping when 4.0 rolls out, everything is fixed up and it runs super clean :zany_face:. Had a few shots (versions) at perfecting it now.

Apologies if this was already answered (Ctrl+F doesn’t seem to return anything)…

How does one go about downgrading to 3.06? The release notes say “Once you update to 3.07, you can only downgrade to the previous version,” but maybe I’m too simple to figure out how.

Windows only machine over here.

1 Like

This worked for me, I saw both 3.05 and 3.06 as options, I chose 3.05.

Oh fudge, that’s for Linux. Sorry, I started writing my reply before I finished reading your comment.

1 Like

Thanks anyway. :slight_smile:

Turns out I was mentally overcomplicating it: all I needed to do was download https://downloads.frame.work/bios/Framework_Laptop_16_Amd_Ryzen7040_BIOS_3.06.exe and run it.

2 Likes

FYI, after a few days of working fine, I’m back to having to play Russian roulette on which port will recognize my monitor. Tired, boss.

1 Like

Turns out my issue may have been a bad charging cable, not the BIOS… I’m doing more testing to find out.

3 Likes

I thought this would be easier to search for/find, but I’ve had no luck.

Is there a way to rollback to 3.05 for windows?

Here are some answers from above.

2 Likes

Is there any problem upgrading from 03.03? I have skipped 03.05 thus far, and I am not sure if this version expects me to be on 03.03 prior to the upgrade.

I am not sure I will upgrade, though. If the comments are anything to go by, 03.07 is quite buggy, too. While 03.03 is mostly bugless.

I really wish I could go back to 3.03. Was that the version prior to the addition of the battery limits in bios? Everything seemed to go all buggy once they added those features.

Yeah, it was. I can’t say I’ve had issues on 3.05 though, what kind of issues are you having?

1 Like

I updated to 3.07 last week and now, during intense power usage (gaming), my system randomly rebooted. The system didn’t lock up beforehand, and there is nothing related in journalctl -b-1, so it doesn’t sound like a software/kernel issue.

I strongly suspect this is a 3.07 issue. This seems to be relatively infrequent, so I’m not too worried, but I’m hoping for a fix soon.

-throttle status gets triggered and stuck on when not throttling.
-some lower wattage chargers “cause” it to stop charging. Seems to happen if I let that charger charge it up to 100%. Powering off for a couple minutes is the only way to get it to start charging again.
-dGPU (or maybe cpu as well) will eventually, after a few days of uptime, get locked into some low power state causing games to run like crap. Reboot to fix.

That’s about it I think, so not nearly as bad as 3.06-3.07 are.

Try disabling sleep mode. That’s the workaround I’ve found on my 16 on Windows that works every time. Disconnecting from the charger can work as well, but that hasn’t been 100% for me. I’m pretty sure it’s the BIOS/EC getting stuck in low power mode and failing to negotiate for the increased power draw.

Had that problem when using Thunderbolt dock all the time. Really depended on the running kernel.

In the end bought a USB-C dock, and didn’t have an issue since then.

After rolling back to 3.06 and then forward to 3.07 again, It seems to be working now haha. Let’s hope 4.0 ushers in a new era of harmony and stability.

1 Like