[SOLVED] Framework Mainboard 7040 Standalone Mode (13")

Solved by resetting bios state

Original Content:
I purchased a 13" Ryzen 7040 Framework board for use in standalone mode.

After I plug in power it starts blinking red and blue in one second intervals.

I plugged in

• TS512G2MTE220S SSD
  • Team TCREATE 32GB RAM
  • Bootable usb drive via a USB A Module
  • Monitor via the HDMI module.

After I hit power the fan spins but nothing else happens. Lights blink red and blue same as before.

On some attempts it blinks in a bunch of other colors a while later but resumes blinking red and blue afterwards.

I have a video of the blinking code attached here

It looks like

RGGGGRGGGGGG
BGBGBGGG

How can I boot this in standalone mode?

1 Like

The code you posted looks correct compared to the video. The two red LEDs indicate missing battery and touchpad, which is probably expected when you run it standalone.

Which slot of the mainboard is used for the HDMI module? Can you try both slots on the back side?
What is the exact model of the RAM you’re using?

I’ve frankly moved the HDMI module around to a bunch of different ports and also tried plugging in a usb monitor to the left rear port which both provides power and takes display input

as for the ram, I’m adding a pic. Note that this ram was taken out of a another laptop from my work that has the same board. I wouldn’t say that guarantees compatibility but it should.

Do you know what the second post code section means? the code should mean 10101000, but I don’t know any list of post codes.

I think these codes have to be read in reverse order, so 00010101 = 0x15.

According to this inofficial table (which was released for the Intel Laptops, so it’s questionably if applicable), that would mean “PCI enumeration complete”, but this interpretation is very questionable of course.

RAM looks okay, but it might be a good idea to try it in both ports or try another one if available.

Edit: This post might be helful: [RESOLVED] Mainboard Standalone w/o Framework Laptop (AMD 7040; 5 7640U) - #7 by godsran

Hey @Raiyan_Hossain,

I am glad that resetting your BIOS state on the FW13 AMD mainboard worked to regain functionality of your board in a standalone case. This was a few weeks ago, I am happy it resulted in getting your machine working properly! :grinning: