Framework not turning on

I have a 13 laptop Window that refuse to turn on. I never had any trouble before. When charging there is a blinking red light only on the connected side. I have left it all night charging and the laptop doesn’t turn on.

I believe it is a dead battery but I am not sure. Any help is welcome.

Can you give any more details about the FW13 laptop?
There are several different motherboard types for the FW13.

1. Intel Gen 11
  2. Intel Gen 12
  3. Intel Gen 13
  4. AMD 7840
    etc.

But for starters, search the community forum for “Mainboard Reset”.

1 Like

This sounds like an empty battery. So the question could be why there is no charging.
Have you tried to charge on other ports or do you have other chargers lying around?

Hi and welcome to the forum

As @James3 mentioned there are 6 versions of 13" : those they mentioned plus the Chromebook and the new Ultra series

If it is the 11th Gen it may well be the consequence of the RTC battery dying and the Intel 11th Gen CPU dropping out.

If that is the case you will require a mainboard rest as mentioned and a new ML1220
You can try the mainboard reset with your current ML1220 but you may have to reset again if the ML1220 doesn’t charge. Leave it plugged in to power for at least 24hours to see if the ML1220 can recover.

If you have the 11th Gen, Framework will provide a free ML1220 or you can buy one independently. Do not use a CR1220 which is not rechargeable.

On the subject of the ML1220 being rechargeable, it requires an hour a day or six hours a week min. If you don’t use it powered on the ML1220 discharges and if that is for any length of time the battery degrades rapidly…

1 Like

Hi, I check and I have a 11th gen. So I will try to reset and I will give an update if it works.

1 Like

Hi @Amaury_Palao,

I think someone had a similar issue with their 11th gen. FW13 machine and their ML1220 battery was in fact dead which caused it not to turn on.

If you do replace it, be cautious getting the old one out so the holder does not crack. It can happen. It is not the end of the world but then an improvised fix is necessary.

Hi I think your right. I tried to reset the main board and leave to charge overnight and it did not turn on. So I will replace my ML1220. I will be careful and keep you updated.

Hi I do only have one usb c extension, but I tried it in multiple ports with the same results. I also tried with other charge with the same results.

@Amaury_Palao
Contact FW support, they send free replacement batteries for Intel Gen 11 mainboard due to it having a manufacturing fault that they don’t repair, they just send out replacement batteries instead.

1 Like

I have a new ML1220 from support. Great service. However even with the new or old ML1220 my computer still blink red and doesn’t start.

Have you tried a whole new mainboard reset with the new ML1220 ?

And by the way ~ I don’t see any info on

• The version of Windows
  • The current BIOS you are using

What else have you tried ?
What RAM do you have and have you tried re-seating them and swapping them and just trying one in each slot to rule out if one is faulty etc. ?

1 Like

Hi @Amaury_Palao,

Glad you got the new battery. The battery they sent you likely is not charged. So it will result in the same thing initially as the dead battery you removed.

Leave the laptop plugged in overnight so that the charger can bring up the voltage on the ML1220 battery. It needs to have a minimum charge level in order to function properly in that circuit.

You may need to press and hold the power button for more than 20 seconds a few times to get it to fully shutdown the EC and have it start clean. If it is still an issues, resetting the mainboard like what @amoun said may be the next step.

2 Likes

I left the new ML122 recharge overnight but it didn’t work. I reset the board and now it blink red only on the connected side. I tried both side and same result, only the connected side blink red. I don’t know if it’s better or not.

To answer @amoun I did try to unconnect and connect the RAM. I also try to swap them of place. And it did nothing, but nice suggestions. I don’t know what bios or windows version it is, since it doesn’t turn on. However I keepy windows version as update to date as possible.

I found the solution:

The probleme was the charger. I still don’t knwo exactly what wrong with it, cause it still can charge my phone. So I think the probleme was not enough power from the charger.

So the solution was simply to use another charger. I got a 65 watt, but I think the standard 60 watt will do the trick. I think my other charger stop working due to the fact it was always connected for about 2 years.

Thank for everybody how answer and tech support.

1 Like

The charger must use the PD protocol to negotiate a voltage, so maybe that was it, else it will default to 5V 0.9A