Framework Owners - is it time to upgrade to Windows 11 from 10?

All the more reason I have not allowed any of my systems to update to Windows 11. Change just because doesn’t mean it’s better.

2 Likes

I have been using Windows 11 for a while… it’s fine but definitely not mature.

I have not updated my BIOS yet tho, not expecting tons of issues with that but who knows

1 Like

Has anyone downloaded Windows 11 on their framework yet? I am debating whether I want to or not at this point and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with it yet. I am in school, so if an issue occurs, that could be detrimental. Thanks

I’m have been running Windows 11 for about 3 weeks now and have not had any issues. I have an i71165G7, Batch 4, 1TB Intel 665p, and 64GB Crucial RAM, BIOS 3.07 with Windows 11 Alpha Drivers + Intel’s current WiFi, Bluetooth, and Graphics Drivers via Intel Driver & Support Assistant.

If your laptop is mission critical, I would say there is no rush in moving to Windows 11 at the moment Windows 10 will be stable. I am getting slightly better battery life ~6-7 hours regular usage.

1 Like

I’ll echo @Rupert_Woods comments, I’ve been driving Windows 11 for a bit but generally I’m not finding much practical difference aside from aesthetics. I haven’t tested to be sure but battery life feels a little bit longer, but it’s pretty marginal.

1 Like

At least you can set Windows Terminal to be your default console host now :wink:

3 Likes

Honestly, I ran Windows 11 for about 2 weeks around when I first got my batch 1. It was having issues were standby was not resuming and cold booting. Hibernation while looking like it was working would boot up as if from a fresh start.

I had enough and used Ubuntu for about 3 months after that. Got screwed trying to do something audio related, and went back to Windows 10.

As of RIGHT now I’ve got it working beautifully. S3 instead of S0, and BIOS 3.07 having really improved things. I can standby at a rate of 3-5% an hour, but the machine cools down. It also charges now without heating up. It stays cool.

I even have the eGPU working. As much as I’d love to use the 4k resolution on my tv turned display, I HATE how resolution changes mess up windows size and position. So I just duplicate the display. But I’m really tempted to just remove the tv, and ONLY use the laptop display.

Anyway, with Windows 10 working so well, I just don’t see the point yet. Android apps on Windows might be cool, but I’ve had that for a long time using a VM.

Anyway thanks for all of the feedback here.

Ordered a Framework (UK, Batch 8), should hopefully be here by the end of the month. A DIY with Windows 10 Home Download.

Question 1. Can I install Windows 11 instead of Windows 10, and activate it with the provided Windows 10 key? Since Windows 11 is a free upgrade from Windows 10?

Question 2. If I can, should I? Is Windows 11 on Framework still too beta? (this laptop will be mostly be used by non-techies, so stability is important)

Thanks. Still intrerested to know though (for general knowledge) if I could activate Win11 from the Win10 key?

I think you can activate Windows 11 with pretty much any product key that’ll activate Windows 10, including ones for 7/8 retail copies. No harm in trying!

I don’t understand what all the people advising not to use it mean. Almost any laptop you buy in a shop now will have it pre-installed - Windows 11 has not been in beta since about July, and underneath it’s basically the same as Windows 10.

I’d love to know specifically what doesn’t work on Framework? Or is it just the usual ‘anti-anything-new-especially-from-Microsoft’ bias coming out?

Did you perhaps read the thread? There are some real reasons here to hold off.

Most of my issues centered around standby and off states. Windows 10 is far more reliable in this regard.

Windows 11 offers some real benefits over Windows 10 though, and this is the reason why I am asking. (wslg, build android compatibility, improved power efficiency, eventual game performance efficiency, will eventually be the only version of Windows supported)

Trust me I’m just as annoyed with the needless Microsoft bashing as the next person, but I can attribute fault where fault is due. The needless hardware floor and privacy invasive default settings are but a few.

1 Like

They make it so easy though:

Similar to Windows 11 Home edition, Windows 11 Pro edition now requires internet connectivity during the initial device setup (OOBE) only. If you choose to setup device for personal use, MSA will be required for setup as well. You can expect Microsoft Account to be required in subsequent WIP flights.

BTW how will this affect future DIY users? Can’t even install the wifi drivers via USB stick anymore if you’re trying to install Win 11 from the get-go?

Oh, I’m aware:

I find it needless because other os’s supporting far less hardware (Mac OS) or just because they are open source some how get free passes.

As someone who has worked on components of an operating system, I know how complicated it all is. I suppose what I am saying is just that we don’t need to bash operating systems here.

There are legitimate reasons to use Windows and Linux. I love Linux. I develop for Windows. Windows does many things better than Linux and vice versa.

But for the purposes of this thread, it seems like staying on Windows 10 is the preferred way going forward for now. (as opposed to upgrading to Windows 11)

2 Likes

IMO everything in this thread so far has either been positive or justified negative feedback. I don’t see anything unreasonable here (yet :wink: )

Honestly, a big reason that I will hold on to Windows 10 as long as possible is the recent news that 11 will require use of an online account. I’ve set it up in a VM to play around with it, and was able to get around that, but apparently now they’ve removed that ability. So, yeah, not on board with it.

I’ve been itching to switch to Linux for a while now, and continue to experiment, but have to admit that Windows works well for me and the software I use, so haven’t made the switch yet.

Fresh install of Win 11 after a trial of PopOS.
Loving the new Settings interface, and multimonitor handling with PowerToys.
Personally I think its an upgrade, but as with all new software there are nuances to it, and differences to Win 10.
I had no driver or compatibility issues (using the Framework Driver pack for Win11 alpha)

2 Likes

Like anything, it should improve over time. I’ll reassess the upgrade to Windows 11 later on, before the free upgrade ends on October 4, 2022.

1 Like

Issues that are so significant they cannot use their computer, no.
But issues such as incorrect sized buttons (what even is that) and graphical inconsistencies is just … counted by shipping containers

If you like to play around with those go and do that.

Kernel carried from Windows Vista (shared in Win 7 and 10), most of other system aspects carry somewhere from 7 and 10. New task scheduler. UI (explorer.exe) is completely new, so is some window elements. Driver should be basically interchangeable (with 10), but some might have updates.

I’ve installed Windows 11 on some old hardware with the registry hack and overall it’s been fine. No major issues at all. Used the mail@mail.com trick to put local accounts on.

The only two gripes I have are not being able to just lock the taskbar to the vertical left orientation and they took the seconds away from the clock. Oh yes and setting default apps is more difficult than it needs to be. Funny how some stuff has been ‘buried’ deeper…

I’m 98% sure Windows 11 will go on my Framework once it’s allowed to finally leave Taipei postal’s clutches.

1 Like

One thing that annoyed me was how you would see the battery percentage on 11. When I had it on the Framework, you had to click into a menu and then could only see it in the settings UI.

Hopefully that has been fixed.

1 Like