Thanks for the reply. I got some results!
I tried Chrome on Android and used my Bitwarden auto-filler (as usual) to auto fill the user/pass information and attempt to log in. When doing this, I got an incorrect user/password message… which was odd because I know for sure the Bitwarden info is correct, and I use Bitwarden on my desktop as well with no issues. That incorrect password information wasn’t displayed when doing the same thing on Brave on Android.
This made me try a few things:
- Manually copy the password from Bitwarden and paste it into Chrome on Android and see if that works. That worked! So that means that there is some bug on Bitwarden when auto-filling into browsers.
- I retried logging into frame.work on Brave on Android, also manually copying the password from Bitwarden. This time, it worked.
So it seems we are ok :). I’ll file a bug report with upstream. Thank you!