Framework XL

Yeah, definitely a ~0% chance of me buying a laptop with a 13" screen, but I’m guessing supply is more of an issue than demand at this point anyway.

I also created an account just for the purpose of asking for a larger screen. While the point of a 13 inch laptop is portability, it is just not as friendly for a power user.

Minimum 15”, preferably 16”, ideally 17”.

My Dell precision has a 17 inch screen, and I’ve transported it just fine everywhere. I’m also quite literally holding it together with duct tape right now, fingers crossed you’ll come out with a larger version. More ports would be a blessing too.

Money sitting and waiting… :+1:

3 Likes

+1. Another vote for a large-screen option, preferably 16".

4 Likes

If Framework develops a laptop with a larger screen, then I’d be interested in the following features:

• double the battery life: Provide an optional cpu/battery combination with double the battery life of the 12th gen model. (The 12th gen model offers about 5 hours of video playback). This might be possible with an Intel or AMD “u” series cpu in conjunction with a slightly bigger battery.

• ethernet: Make ethernet a first-class citizen. Either add it to the motherboard/daughterboard, or develop an expansion card which does not protrude beyond the chassis.

• a stiff chassis: As the screen-size increases it becomes more difficult to prevent flexing.

• optional numpad: People either love or hate the numpad, so it would really help if it was optional.

• display: Perhaps also offer a display which is suited to integer-scaling, eg 1500x1000 or 3000x2000.

2 Likes

I love the dimensions of my framework, but having a model if a bit more battery life and some additional ports would be great.

As a student, the current form factor is perfect for my personal use case. However, everyone else that I know prefers a larger screen and long battery life like you’d get out of a larger MBP or any of a few dozen Windows “media laptops” (the latter being what I had before the FW).
As on-the-go media watchers/designers are part of the target audience, please don’t forget to beef up the speakers as well!

I feel like this thread is a bit of a max-maxing wishlist. What’s the use case for a hypothetical XL? Is it for gamers, tech professionals, or field workers? Etc. These all could do very amazing things with the extra space, but all very different.

1 Like

As someone with poor eyesight who travels a lot, a light laptop with a large screen is essential (reference point is LG Gram 17 at 1350g). I do not need a powerful CPU (the home + virtual servers are there if needed), so frame.work can simply drop their current 12th-gen motherboard into a bigger casing and screen. A bigger keyboard and bigger battery would be icing on the cake, but not if they would delay introduction. Will be happy to pay a deposit once the specs are fixed!

1 Like

Not sure about how to find a bigger panel for the framework but would something like a 3D printed laptop chassis (then you get something like a Thinkpad), then using extenders for the USB-C ports, with one of the ports being USB-C mini-DisplayPort to a daughterboard to a 17" display panel?

For you it would be perfect something like that, but for everyone else doing this would just make them give-up and get some other brand instead of waiting. Thinking from a business perspective, this could be done but only after doing what the everyone wishes.

Maybe we can create a poll for it?

• 17"
  • 15"
  • 13" (but higher, for improved battery/expansion ports)
  • other (please comment)

0 voters

Also I believe it would be smart for framework to evaluate it’s community priorities.

Because we surely are demanding folks. Some want a dedicated GPU, some want other CPU vendors (AMD, or even RISC) and even others want a bigger laptop chassis.

Please, if you have demand for something, don’t just blindly reply with “either Framework creates this or I’m out/mad etc”. This is not helpful.

3 Likes

15" is a tad small for my taste but honestly im fine with it. 17" would be nice.
13" is a waste of time but it does give me an idea for creating a mini cyber deck using the main board with an even smaller screen for shiggles and fun wearable PC’s.

14" is “business laptop” standard. That’s really what should have been made. 15" is too heavy and more difficult to use on an airplane, 13" is too small screen.

1 Like

Note that it is 13.5" 3:2 ratio, which gives a slightly larger area than a 14" widescreen.

Yes but the narrow width aspect of the 13.5" 3:2 does not allow the ability to easily modify any other standard 14" screen either 16:10 or 16:9 so we are stuck with no easily modified options. The resolution also has limitations and the color space is not wide gamut for professionals. In the end I do like the 3:2 but the screen is not ideal. My point would be stick with 16:10 14" laptop and make it thicker for quieter fan, bigger battery, and more ports. wide gamut screen. Then you have a working laptop that would appeal to more people with less objections. Ultimately Framework needs to have at least 2 or maybe as many as 3 screen sizes to fit everyone’s needs. Different cases and same insides mostly. Personally my work has software that requires only 100% scaling (or 200%) and it’s too small on the framework’s 13.5" screen due to the high resolution. A 14" in either 16:10 or 16:9 is just fine.

1 Like

I’m really not sure how much sense it would make for Framework to create a 14" laptop when they already have a 13.5" one…
(Narrator: It doesn’t)

Are you trying to tell me that 0.5" would justify the hassle of completely redesigning the laptop, creating new parts for it, source the materials, write firmware for it, add a ton of new possible ways to break your laptop and need guidance because someone is missing just a few pixels on their screen?

The format is unlikely, that’s true. But I don’t think it makes sense for Framework to come out with a 14" version before they have a 15" and maybe a 17" one.

Last but not least, we also have the ability to upgrade our displays later with optional addons later on.

LOL, “write firmware for it” & “add a ton of new possible ways to break your laptop”
Yes they are highly unlikely to build a new 14" laptop, nor did I suggest they do that. Rather I said a 14" is what they should have built, and one with more usability (bigger battery, more ports, better screen). Having multiple screen size offerings would be a great way to satisfy more customers.

I looked at a 16" 16:10 2560x1600 (2.5k?) Lenovo laptop at Microcenter the other day. I feel that’s the perfect size and res for a larger screen IMO. It’s basically the same size as a 15" class.

I would order a framework if that was an option. Working on multiple blueprints and word/excel docs on the go is too painful on a 14" or smaller. My work laptop is 14" as it’s the standard company issue and I hate it.

Personally I would prefer 15", but screen size is not critical for me. I could work with the current 13.5" if it comes down to it, and I would also be happy with 17" if the other features require it. But what I really would like to see is a dedicated GPU, more module slots and a full sized keyboard. Or at least one with a numpad.

16" or 17" would be perfect. I do understand some like the 15" but I feel that for a big laptop atleast 16" is a requirement.