Full Power Magnetic Charging Card

EDIT: deleted section that was in discourse’s draft buffer, no longer relevant.

these schematics are not published with Intel’s permission. I appreciate that they’re available, but it’s not something Framework can decide to do. Plus, afaiu it’s not only Intel’s NDA - other chips are also involved, possibly Compal too.

1 Like

This is speculation - that’s not a viable path forward. The issue is that’s basically required that you have connections in Intel to get these boards made. Furthermore, all information that an independent hardware designer would need to replicate a Framework motherboard replacement, is already available; we hobbyists are making good use of that. It’s that you basically need to have a working relationship with either Intel or AMD to actually make an x86 replacement board. That’s a pretty limited circle of people.

2 Likes

I would like to buy or get the plans for a magnetic adapter. But I wasn’t clear who on this list is offering it? Edgar no longer does, but maybe someone else? I have a 3D printer and could print. I there a website with files or purchase info?
Thank You!

2 Likes

@Henger-SH @Jasters-Legacy
…and everyone else from the EU who’s interested

I got a friend(s brother) from the US to order one from newegg (Are you a human? ; thanks to Jared_Svetlev for finding it!) and send it by airmail inside a simple envelope for 3$ and the shipping to the US is free.
Right now the USB-C is about 9$ on newegg so that’s 12$ to get one to the EU.

So if you know someone who’s currently in the US, that’s a cheap and easy fix?
Or maybe someone here on the forum would be willing to order a few of them and send them over to you? It’s not ideal but it get’s the job done.

Also thanks to obfuscurity for the raft settings & Sean_N for the design! Works flawlessly <3

This is the connector I used (admittedly a no-name eBay special :stuck_out_tongue:) https://www.ebay.com/itm/154227564588

This is indeed on BIOS 3.10, though I’ve not been able to try downgrading BIOS to see if it is still present.

It would be nice if this was somehow a software issue, I just assumed it was hardware due to the known flaws in USB-C magnetic connectors combined with how the issue first started.

Are there any updates on your diagnosis?

2 Likes

for what it’s worth I managed to kill my old iPad mini changing circuitry using “volta charging cable”, which is literally same crap. I was naive and believed ad video from linus tech tips lol. after emailing the company and asking for refund (not even asking for compensation!) I was ghosted by them. all these knock offs of proprietary magnetic connections are not safe and have 0 detection of actual connection/disconnection

3 Likes

Actually the iPad mini is quite different than these. Some iPads support USB-C power negotiation and can charge from a USB-C charger with a USB-C to lightning cable, but others only support 5v charging and the Volta cables come in USB-A and USB-C power source variants, and some of their cables could only charge from USB-C with the connector in a specific orientation relative to the cable.

I actually use Volta cables with Fonken or similar clone right angle USB-C to magnetic USB-C connectors and haven’t had any issues with the Spark series at all. I still use the USB-A cables for all my non-PD accessories as well, though I’ve been picking up clones by NetDot or DigitalAnt on Amazon because they ship faster and are a lot cheaper.

For my Framework I’ve got 3-4 magnetic connectors installed with the Cable Creation extensions and haven’t had any issues, but I only use a port for charging or low power accessories and haven’t tried using the extension plus magnetic connector for a USB-C hub or docking station that would transmit data that I can recall.

I’m sorry if I missed an earlier comment, I did my best to see if anybody has already solved this issue, but didn’t see anything. I’ve finished printing the housing for this card, but couldn’t find the correct extension anywhere. The amazon link says they are out of stock and don’t know when it will be back and I couldn’t find it anywhere else. If anybody knows where else I can buy the extender or an equivalent and can drop a link here I would be very grateful.

@Ian_Mcgillivary
It’s expensive but this one seems to be in stock

$32 wow!
Could it really be possible that this little audience is enough to cause a run on that particular item, such that the retailers raise the price automatically simply because it appears to be “popular” simply because they sold out? I am imagining some baffled employee looking at the stats and thinking “What is so special about this thing? Are they the new Beanie Babies? Should I got out back and hide a case of them for myself so I can sell them for $200 each later?”

1 Like

Yeah, the price for such a simple extender is crazy imho.
At that price I’d rather design and have a pcb made. And if you need it only for charging you could even skip most of the pins to make it easier to solder or reflow.

I found a few on ebay. Length is not listed but someone could get a close estimate by going by the usb-c plug for a measurement reference.

$13 for 3, from USA USB 3.1 C Extension Claims: Max can load 30V/5A Current, 10Gbps

$5 from china, speedpak (tracked) USB 3.1 Male Female USB 3.0 Adapter
Another from china Mini Portable Straight USB 3.1 Type C Male to Female Converter USB-C Adapter | eBay

Been interesting reading this thread. I used a design that a poster submitted here, printed a few and dispatched upon request to forum members at limited profit to cover my own unit. I suggested to the next guy who wanted a magnetic charger to do the same to carry the spirit forward. Seems like the way for new folks to integrate into community.
Anyway, I live in the world of VR and sleep on a stack of NDAs and really it just comes down to respecting other people and their efforts. Peace to all.

I found a new extension really close to the same length as the hard to find cable creation one that is allegedly problematic if you do data and power at the same time. I’ve never had issues with those but I haven’t used them with my docking stations a ton.

The new ones have another fun feature of showing the amount of power passing through them though it isn’t visible without lifting the laptop.

HIEbee 2Pack USB C Extender Adapter 3.2/40Gbps Short Dock Extension Type-C 8K@60Hz PD 28W Type-C Male to Female Thunderbolt QC & Data Transfer for USB-C Devices https://a.co/d/3Dk6WE6

This plus the Fonken/DuHeSin 24 pin connectors is perfect for a nearly flush fit with just enough sticking out to make it easy to find by feel. The fact that the magnetic connectors do data and power makes my life way easier as I can just put the magnetic adapters on everything.

1 Like

Are you looking for shorter ones, there’s this at 100W

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC1D2WGR

The Cable Creations extension was special because it was the perfect length to put the magnetic connector almost flush with the edge of the laptop so there was nothing sticking out to get caught on a laptop sleeve or bag as you put it in and out.

The one I linked is pretty much the only other one I’ve found that is the right length like the Cable Creation one was.

2 Likes

@Ethan_Spoelstra nice find. But this one is claimed to be 6.5mm thick, while the Cable Creation one is 6mm. An original extension card is 6.9mm thick, so it might be cutting it real close. But then again, there’s an extra 3.1mm clearance on the bottom if the laptop is seated on a flat surface.
I will try it though.

Just thought I’d pop in with some progress I’ve made. I’ve been really interested in the idea of a magnetic charging expansion card for a while so when I saw the extension that @Ethan_Spoelstra found (Great find by the way!) I grabbed a couple and have been playing with the CAD for the expansion card over the last couple days. It’s pretty close to being done and I’m planning on open sourcing it in the next day or two once it’s finished. The tolerances vertically are pretty tight so I ended up just getting rid of the top bit all together since that’s going to be inside the expansion card slot anyways.

1 Like

What I actually found when looking closer yesterday was the Cable Creation one the magnetic tip doesn’t go as deep, while with the other it seats nearly fully, so the overall length is almost identical.

So I am curios. I have the part 3d printed out and I can find the adapter chord on amazon but I cant find the long adapter part that physically goes into the computer. I printed out the original STL files any ideas as for the main adapter that interfaces with the computer

yes that is the problem with this - you need the extender with just the right size and shape.

Can’t you just model your own with a different adapter?