Full Power Magnetic Charging Card

$32 wow!
Could it really be possible that this little audience is enough to cause a run on that particular item, such that the retailers raise the price automatically simply because it appears to be “popular” simply because they sold out? I am imagining some baffled employee looking at the stats and thinking “What is so special about this thing? Are they the new Beanie Babies? Should I got out back and hide a case of them for myself so I can sell them for $200 each later?”

1 Like

Yeah, the price for such a simple extender is crazy imho.
At that price I’d rather design and have a pcb made. And if you need it only for charging you could even skip most of the pins to make it easier to solder or reflow.

I found a few on ebay. Length is not listed but someone could get a close estimate by going by the usb-c plug for a measurement reference.

$13 for 3, from USA USB 3.1 C Extension Claims: Max can load 30V/5A Current, 10Gbps

$5 from china, speedpak (tracked) USB 3.1 Male Female USB 3.0 Adapter
Another from china Mini Portable Straight USB 3.1 Type C Male to Female Converter USB-C Adapter | eBay

Been interesting reading this thread. I used a design that a poster submitted here, printed a few and dispatched upon request to forum members at limited profit to cover my own unit. I suggested to the next guy who wanted a magnetic charger to do the same to carry the spirit forward. Seems like the way for new folks to integrate into community.
Anyway, I live in the world of VR and sleep on a stack of NDAs and really it just comes down to respecting other people and their efforts. Peace to all.

I found a new extension really close to the same length as the hard to find cable creation one that is allegedly problematic if you do data and power at the same time. I’ve never had issues with those but I haven’t used them with my docking stations a ton.

The new ones have another fun feature of showing the amount of power passing through them though it isn’t visible without lifting the laptop.

HIEbee 2Pack USB C Extender Adapter 3.2/40Gbps Short Dock Extension Type-C 8K@60Hz PD 28W Type-C Male to Female Thunderbolt QC & Data Transfer for USB-C Devices https://a.co/d/3Dk6WE6

This plus the Fonken/DuHeSin 24 pin connectors is perfect for a nearly flush fit with just enough sticking out to make it easy to find by feel. The fact that the magnetic connectors do data and power makes my life way easier as I can just put the magnetic adapters on everything.

1 Like

Are you looking for shorter ones, there’s this at 100W

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC1D2WGR

The Cable Creations extension was special because it was the perfect length to put the magnetic connector almost flush with the edge of the laptop so there was nothing sticking out to get caught on a laptop sleeve or bag as you put it in and out.

The one I linked is pretty much the only other one I’ve found that is the right length like the Cable Creation one was.

2 Likes

@Ethan_Spoelstra nice find. But this one is claimed to be 6.5mm thick, while the Cable Creation one is 6mm. An original extension card is 6.9mm thick, so it might be cutting it real close. But then again, there’s an extra 3.1mm clearance on the bottom if the laptop is seated on a flat surface.
I will try it though.

Just thought I’d pop in with some progress I’ve made. I’ve been really interested in the idea of a magnetic charging expansion card for a while so when I saw the extension that @Ethan_Spoelstra found (Great find by the way!) I grabbed a couple and have been playing with the CAD for the expansion card over the last couple days. It’s pretty close to being done and I’m planning on open sourcing it in the next day or two once it’s finished. The tolerances vertically are pretty tight so I ended up just getting rid of the top bit all together since that’s going to be inside the expansion card slot anyways.

1 Like

What I actually found when looking closer yesterday was the Cable Creation one the magnetic tip doesn’t go as deep, while with the other it seats nearly fully, so the overall length is almost identical.

So I am curios. I have the part 3d printed out and I can find the adapter chord on amazon but I cant find the long adapter part that physically goes into the computer. I printed out the original STL files any ideas as for the main adapter that interfaces with the computer

yes that is the problem with this - you need the extender with just the right size and shape.

Can’t you just model your own with a different adapter?

Anyone have an original version of the printed case for sale. I already have the parts.

edit: I am in Canada, but would pay for shipping anyway.

You should say what country you are in so people know if it makes sense to post it - there are online services that print for you as well. A nice SLA print can look like factory :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Orbital Are you happy with the design yet? I’ve got the parts, now I’m about to print the case. If you’re ready to share the design, I’d be happy to try it.

1 Like

I went ahead and designed a stl starting from from the official distribution. It works well when printed in the default orientation, that is, inner interface down. The walls are thin so depending on your printing setup you might not get walls, but that doesn’t matter, mine works fine without them. This is designed for the HIEbee adapter and the iSkey magnetic adapter.

mag.stl (214.8 KB)

I am a bit dismayed that the HIEbee adapter, contrary to the specification on the Amazon page, is not 31.5mm but 36.5mm long. Not a trivial difference, and it makes so that the adapter is slightly sticking out of the laptop frame instead of being slightly recessed.

3 Likes

Hello! I was wondering if you have the file on hand, I’m hoping to assemble it using the pass-through connector you used!

1 Like

Hey @ggpeti and @Shiroudan sorry for the late response, I’ve just been crazy busy the last couple days. I’ve uploaded the files so feel free to give them a shot!

4 Likes

Mine is better though. Yours is off center, meaning the cable extender will sit slanted and under tension, and not in line with the housing. I’ve also accounted for the magnetic adapter and the small step down in size near the USB plug at the end of the extender.
After some testing, I’ve adjusted 0.2mm in the width of the extender cutout, and here it is:
mag.stl (242.6 KB)

3 Likes

Strange, with the HIBee or the Cable Creation extensions my Fonken/DuHeSin adapters stick out almost exactly the same amount. Maybe the USB-C plug on your magnetic adapter is a different length?

This is just a complaint about the difference between the specified and the actual length of the HIEBee adapter. I’ve reported it on Amazon as well. Of course they’re not going to make the part smaller, but at least they could inform potential buyers correctly.