FW13 full battery drain and no startup for minutes

Hi there,

I also reached out to support, but maybe someone here already knows the issue:

I am having the following problem with my (very new) Framework 13 laptop (13th generation).
When I unplug the power cord and put the laptop into hibernation mode, the battery goes completely dead within a few (2-3) days, even when the battery was full.
When the battery is completely empty and I try to start the laptop again, it does not respond at all. When I plug in the cable (original FW 60W charger), the light next to the USB slot turns orange. When I press the power button it turns white and after a while the fan starts and the laptop gets hot. The screen remains black and nothing happens. It takes several minutes before I can start the laptop (need to force it to shut down by pressing the power button for 5 seconds). When it finally starts, the date and time are incorrect (several days in the past).
To be precise: I was on holiday for a week, I last used my laptop on 11 August and put it into hibernation. I restarted the laptop today (17 August) and the clock showed 12 August after the restart.

My configuration:

• Framework 13, 13th generation, bought in May 2024
  • AMD Ryzen 7840U
  • Hard drive: WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe SSD WDS100T2X0E - SSD - 1TB
  • RAM: Kingston FURY Impact - DDR5 - Module - 32 GB
  • Latest driver bundle installed
  • Slot configuration: 2x USB-C (back slots), 2x USB-A (front slots)

Thanks and best regards,
Daniel

It’s possible that the device isn’t actually hibernating as while it is normal to gradually lose some battery, it shouldn’t be this drastic. As for your clock issue, this is normal as there is no RTC battery and the clock is powered by the main battery. If that dies, then your clock will be out of sync however, Windows will automatically correct it once it connects to network. Lastly, if it’s completely dead, give it a few minutes to charge before trying to turn it on.

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the community! Like @TheTRUEAsian said, if the machine is totally dead; it will take a few minutes of charging to let the battery get to a level to start properly. Powering it on shortly after plugging in the charger will fire up the machine; however the battery doesn’t have enough charge and the embedded controller (EC) doesn’t fully enable the system because it wants to charge the battery more. :low_battery:

This is why your machine “starts” but the screen is blank because the whole system is not fully initializing. The EC is trying to protect the machine and get a little more charge before bringing the whole system up. Think of it like trying to jump start a car with a really dead battery. The jump start would go smoother if the battery had a little charge instead of acting like a dead load. (That is the best analogy I can come up with right now)

Just a note, your Framework Laptop 13 with the AMD processor is not necessarily called the “13th generation”. That is usually reserved for Framework Laptop 13 machines with the Intel 13th Gen processors. The AMD firmware still has a few flaws in it as it is somewhat newer compared to the Intel boards.

You might try the shutdown procedure and see if the same thing happens with your battery drain. Let us know how it turns out. :smiley:

Hi, thanks a lot for your quick and detailed reply!

I didn’t know that the FW doesn’t have an RTC battery, so your explanation makes sense regarding the issue with the date and time.

However, it’s still not normal for the battery to lose so much power during hibernation. Here’s what I’ve observed today: I put the laptop into hibernation overnight, restarted it, and the battery still had 92% charge (so no excessive energy loss). However, the clock displayed the wrong time (8:23 AM, while the current time was 12:33 PM). The last time I used the laptop was yesterday evening, so it seems that it woke up from hibernation at 8 AM, even though I wasn’t using it.

I’ll repeat this “experiment” with the laptop completely shut down and let you know if it also drains completely. But I have a feeling that this issue with the quick battery drain isn’t consistent and only happens occasionally.

1 Like

Hi there,

I have now checked the battery status after both 2 days of shutdown and 2 days of hibernation.
When the machine is completely shut down, there is no excessive battery drain (1% overnight).
However, in hibernation, the battery drained 33% in 32 hours. No external devices were connected to the laptop.
It also took two attempts to wake the laptop from hibernation - the first time the power button lit up, but the screen remained black. I had to turn it on a second time to wake it from hibernation.

I think this is too much and not normal - what do you think? Any idea why this is happening?

EDIT: I did a sleep study (upload of the screenshot does not work…)
it says:
2024-08-19 | 22:58:49 | Hibernate | - | - | - | Drain | - | 77% |
2024-08-21 | 07:17:00 | Screen Off | - | - | - | Drain | - | 43% |

1 Like