FW16 Batch 20 Guild

not sure about mint specifically but in my experience (and as suggested by the arch wiki), it’s better to install windows before linux

1 Like

Win first linux second. Windows F*s up your Grub.

2 Likes

Thanks @notfire & @PSierra117 I’ll try make sure not to bork it this time :slight_smile: thanks for the link :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most Linux installers are aware of the windows installation and the process takes it into account, and automatically add it as an option to the GRUB menu.

The windows installer on the other hand seems hosile to any other OS co-existing, and you’d be doing some manual work to get a boot menu with both options.

If you are doing multiple windows installs, start with the oldest first (install win10, then win11, then linux). you’ll end up with the grub menu with linux and windows as options, and after you pick windows you’ll get another menu to select win10 or win11. You could even do two win11 installs on the same system (one for work/job, other for personal). But always do linux last.

2 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: yea installing onto this old lappy had a bunch of issues getting them to duel boot, mainly my dumb errors.

Like first off setting new drive to GPT but of coarse win7 was MBR so yea that naffed me, had to format new drive and start again both being MBR and got grub duel boot menu working.

Worked fine for a while, then windows decided it would give error on boot (can’t remember what) but then boot anyway. Then windows said a big nope! I tried repair etc etc but nope win7 on here is now borked (can still access files etc so no biggie), but that’s why I was asking just in case my install order was to blame, I’m trying to do all my big mistakes on old lappy now, unfortunately I’m at that tech level to have just enough knowledge to be dangerous lol and just enough confidence to be really dumb :smiley:

Thanks again peeps for your help :slight_smile:

Are you sure you want Win7 or Win10 and Mint? 7 hasn’t been getting security updates for years, and 10 will stop getting free security updates next year. And none of 7, 10, or Mint have official Framework support.

Is Win11 privacy and other concerns really that terrible that you’ll give up security updates? And Ubuntu and Fedora so bad that you aren’t interested in official Framework support? Linux Mint causes issues for some people on FW16, and by adopting it you’re giving up some level of Framework support. They can’t possibly support every distro, and by supporting two they’re already making an amazing effort.

Stay with 11 instead of 10/7 it is the better OS for todays Hardware. Yes the Telemetry and CallHome is shit. But you can deactivate all of it.

I did. My router still reports outgoing DNS lookups for telemetry domains.

One thing for others to consider is Steam dropped Win10 support in January this year and it looks like other companies are slowly doing that as well. Not saying they won’t still work right now, but if you’re looking at downgrading from Windows 11, they could stop working eventually. Yet another terrible side-effect of always-online “apps” and closed-source models.

Proton is not so bad I’d switch to Windows here though. Games typically run better in my experience than stock Windows, save some that release brand new API features that aren’t yet supported. Even so, in the past I’ve contributed back code to a few builds of Proton to add them in the interim, so it isn’t all that hard to find something that works.

steam only dropped up to win7/8 in january, win10 is still functional for steam. i suspect that steam will continue to work on windows 10 until at least october 2025 when windows 10 goes eol, and if 10 gets extended security updates, until at least that passes (in likely 2028). windows 7 only lost extended support in january 2023, and it took a whole year for steam to drop it

plus, looking at the steam hardware survey, over half of windows steam users are on 10 (with almost exactly half of all steam users being on 10). valve would not drop support for an os that about half its users are using, that would not make any sense for them

tl;dr win10 still works on steam, and will for at least a year and a half

Hoe did you do it? With an Christitus ISO + Atlas OS after install and the Christitustech Winutil Tweaks. I didn’t get any Windows Telemetry Pings in my Pihole. I dropped using full Linux, because of some Multiplayer Games still not supporting Linux. Crap EAC.
I had one SSD with BTRFS as my Steamlibrary so i could use it with Linux and Windows (with Tweaks)

Ah, I wasn’t aware you could use an external tool to disable that. The built-in toggle sliders don’t appear to cut it completely.

i want to see when people think our batch is going to arrive
any thoughts?

i think it should ship within Wednesday and hopefully be there by Friday
:3

2 Likes

I have mine arriving today. Shipped Friday with DHL from Taiwan via Hong Kong to Aus.

Hope to have it built for work over the next few days. Looking forward to it!

Then to order my Oculink eGPU setup for my RX 6800 XT! :smiley:

1 Like

Yours has already been shipped?

Yes & it appears to be arriving today :slight_smile:

Isn’t the case for me :sob:

I’m sure it won’t be much longer! :smiley:

It just arrived a few hours ago at work, on it’s way home now to start putting it together :slight_smile:

I haven’t got the shipment email tho

That’s great ! Unfortunately for people in contries further away from where it sent, well it’ll probable take up to a couple more weeks, which sadly is my case since I live in France. Do let us know how your setup goes though !

I live in Taiwan lol

2 Likes