FW16 Batch 20 Guild

Saw that there was no Batch 20 Guild yet, so I took it upon myself to start the thread.

Where all my Batch 20 fellas at?

12 Likes

Not batch 20, but here is the forecast for batch 20:

7 Likes

Batch 20 here as well.
No GPU
Clear RGB KB + RGB Macropad
plan on trying Linux for the first time and buying my own NVME storage and 2x 16gb crucial memory
plan on playing lots of Factorio

4 Likes

Batch 20 as well.

• GPU
  • 32 GB RAM
  • Ryzen 7
  • No SSD
  • Graphics module

I’m relentlessly watching reviews and have mixed feelings about it.

I want to sell my current work horse, a Dell Inspiron 7630 with a RTX 4060, an i7-13700H and 32 GB RAm for it. Money whise not a good deal at all since the FW16 will perform slightly worse, but the point which let me pull the trigger is the peace of mind.

Fan breaks? Just buy another one. Since the Dell inspiron is more a consumer oriented product, I don’t think that it will be that easy to find parts for it.

2 Likes

Batch 20 also,

• GPU module
  • 32 GB ram
  • Ryzen 7
  • Both SSDs
  • Numpad
    Plan on dual booting Win/Fedora. Main purpose is coding on Linux. I love the idea of being able to upgrade/repair, also hoping parts will be around for a while. Current laptop battery is dying and cannot get any OEMs to work and its only 4 years old.
1 Like

Put my deposit down the 10th. Very excited

1 Like

Leaving my config here for posterity:

• Ryzen 7 7840HS
  • G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 2x32GB 5600MT/s CL40 (BYO)
  • Radeon RX 7700S Graphics Module + Expansion Bay Shell
  • TeamGroup MP44L 2TB (BYO)
  • US English
  • Numpad
  • Black Bezel
  • Expansion Cards:
  • 3x USB-A
  • 2x USB-C
  • HDMI
  • Audio
  • Framework 180W USB-C Power Adapter (US/CA Plug)

Really excited for this, hopefully it comes sooner rather than later

2 Likes

I been looking at getting a Framework laptop of a little while now and saw on the website batch 20 is supposed to ship Q2. What do people think is the likely hood that will happen? Is July or August a reasonable expectation? Thanks!

1 Like

Well, judging from the Batch Shipment Chart thread, the trends suggest Batch 20 would be getting their orders fulfilled in early to mid June.

2 Likes

Batch 20 here, I’ve been eyeing up a Framework laptop for a long time, the Framework 16 was what tipped me over the edge. I don’t tend to use laptops as much as I have a full desktop for gaming/work, but it’d be nice to have something for traveling around with. At the moment I just use my Steam Deck, but I wanted to be able to do some electronics design/programming as well as light gaming on the go.

For the specs I went with:

• 7840HS
  • GPU module

I’m bringing my own OS, RAM and SSDs. I’ve gone for 32GB (2x16) RAM with a 4TB main SSD and a 1TB secondary. The second drive will be a Linux partition for work (probably openSUSE Tumbleweed), then the main drive will be dual booted with Windows & openSUSE Tumbleweed for personal use.

I’ll also be designing my own input modules as well, maybe an FPGA/microcontroller card with some PMOD connectors if they’ll fit. I may try a custom expansion module design at some point, the PCIe x8 really opens up a lot of possibilities.

2 Likes

it currently says June.

3 Likes

I expect this will be a massive performance uplift from my ancient ThinkPad T431s, and I don’t need as much portability as I did when I bought that back in college.

• Windows 11
  • Ryzen 9 7940HS CPU
  • 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40 RAM, will bring my own
  • 1TB WD_BLACK SN850X M.2 2280 NVMe SSD PCIe Gen4 purchased cheap on Facebook
  • No dGPU for now, just being to play Overcooked final boss will already be a massive upgrade.
  • RGB Clear ANSI keyboard, though would prefer Combo ANSI/ISO/JIS keyboard layout - #6 by Micah_Lindstrom
  • Keyboard sticker labels
  • RGB macropad, this layout
  • RGB matrix spacers (website) (forum thread)
  • Lavender bezel. Transparent would be sick but I respect Framework for not accepting the environmental cost from poor yields
  • 180W USB-C Power Adapter (US/CA Plug)
  • Expansion cards
    • 3Ă—USB-C
    • 2Ă—USB-A
    • 1Ă—HDMI
  • DBrand skin “Kind of Purple” and/or “Ultramatte Teardown”

Likely buy in future:

My reasonings:

• CPU not the best the price/performance upgrade, but it enables curve optimizer and (maybe in future) undervolting and EXPO support which could be fun to play with. It has a slightly faster CPU and iGPU.
  • RAM likely to be ~$215 Kingston KF556S40IBK2-64. Alternately the G.Skill F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS also from Framework’s official compatibility list, but it seems less common in this forum and Reddit. Framework’s RAM at $320 is better validated/more stable, but more expensive with (slightly) more latency.
  • Keyboard Stickers like Keyshorts transparent background with colored symbols, but not totally sure yet. Maybe start with something DIY until I have a layout locked down. Would be much more interested in Keyshorts if I didn’t have to buy the alphabet characters. KeyOverlay has all the symbols and languages I could want and is cheap, but sometimes strange colors like blue and grey instead of black? Such a strange color choice. KeyOverlay Custom is another appealing option. Maybe start with the cheap KeyOverlay packs, then if/when I’m really satisfied with my layout splurge for Keyshorts.
  • DBrand Ultramatte Teardown looks really awesome. But it only covers top for $32 and optionally touchpad for $10; one reason I’m buying is for scratch protection. Kind of Purple with logo cutout protects everything for $55 and leaves an open canvas if I decide I want to add my own stickers too. Or I could get both for $90, having teardown on cover with lavender on the rest. I’m having a really hard time deciding. Wish I knew how well the purple will (mis)match the bezel.
1 Like

Just wanted to put in a post. I am from batch 20 too. I am super excited, I have been following frameworks for a while and now I am going to actually get a framework laptop. Super cool.

2 Likes

Hey Guys, Batch 20 here too.
7840 HS + dGPU + German Keyboard + NumPad 2xUSBC 2xUSBA 1xMicroSD 1xHDMI
RAM will be 2x 32GB Crucial or 2x48GB Crucial i am still deciding.
2230 SSD will be my Sabrent Rocket (Currently installed in my Legion Go)
2280 SSD will be the Samsung 990 Pro.

Will be using the Laptop as my Sole System with Radeon RX6800XT DIY USB 4 eGPU for Gaming at Home (Thats how i use my Legion Go currently)

I love the Idea and Concept of the System, i was consindering an Asus TUF 16 Advantage, as i want an all AMD System. But nahh Asus and naah Asus Budget Gaming Series.

I am so excited for the Framework 16. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool! I saw they used exactly the brand and model I like to use for the SSDs, so I got those. The SN850X is a powerhouse PCIe-4 capable SSD and my benchmarks have topped 4000MB/s.

2 Likes

Hello there! Ordered Ryzen™ 9 7940HS + AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S + LED Spacer

I took the framework because I couldn’t choose - I want a productive laptop that can render scenes in blender and have fun with the guys online, or I want an energy-saving laptop that I can take on a weekend trip without the need to carry a charger and look for an outlet.

As I understand in the near future there will be an expansion with a battery instead of a graphics card, which will cover both of my needs.

Well and all sorts of little things like the ability to have not 2 but 6 (!) usb-c, and programmable led panels (density could be and more, but as it is, I will find a use for them) helped to make the final decision.

2 Likes

i put the down payment down during may 2 : P heres my specs

• System: Ryzen™ 9 7940HS

• Memory: DDR5-5600 - 32GB (2 x 16GB)

Remove Memory

• Storage: WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 250GB

Remove Primary Storage

• Storage: Western Digital SN740 NVMe™ - M.2 2230 - 2TB

Remove Secondary Storage

• Operating System: Windows 11 Pro (Download)

Remove Operating System

Expansion Bay System

• Expansion Bay Module: Graphics Module (AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S)

• Expansion Bay: Expansion Bay Shell

Customization

• Power Adapter Region: US / CA

• Keyboard: RGB US English

• Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Black

• Spacer: Black

• Spacer: Black

Expansion Cards

• 2 x USB-C

• 2 x USB-A

• HDMI (3rd Gen)

• 2 x 1TB (2nd Gen)

1 Like

Batch 20 here too, seen 18 started getting their emails… so expecting ours by EOM.

7940/7700S totally barebones…

Going to max out RAM/SSD to 96GB and SN850X. Then desktop mode will be docked with a Razer Core w/ 7900 XTX Asrock Aqua to my TV. So liquid cooled and want to hit ~3.3ish GHz. I hate Nvidia as much as I do Intel for their practices now a days. So I’m voting with my wallet and going all in hardcore AMD.

I will take the lead on modifying the BIOS to unlock memory timings and TDP/vCore offsets so we can lower system power until we get a 240w 48v GaN charger from somewhere… I’ve done it before for a few devices people don’t think it was possible to. Though Insyde UEFI isn’t usually the worst to unlock.

Likely going to also order a second case set to get powder coated Orange or Black. Silver is a bit too boring for me for the chassis.

Not a huge gamer anymore, but really like modifying and tweaking hardware. Mainly Fallout 3/NV and Factorio/Cities Skylines…

My ultimate goal is Debian OS w/ LookingGlass QEMU GPU pass through to Windows 10 which will be my main OS, but easy to image and use my applications on with full 3D performance.

2 Likes

Well good Idea with the eGPu but the Razer Core is a bad combination for the 7900xtx as it only provides pcie3x4 for the connection, so it doesn’t even saturate the 40gbps of the usb4 Connection.

I currently run an RX6800xt with the adt-link UT3G on my Legion Go its the only availaible Real USB4 eGPU Adapter and it provides pcie4x4 which is throttled by the the usb’s 40gbps.

I loose about 10-20% of Performance depending on the Benchmark/Game as its bandwith Bottlenecked. You should loose more than 40% of your GPUs performance with the teeny tiny 32gbps the Razer Core can provide.

1 Like

Exceptional points, never even thought about USB4 x4 bandwidth… last time I looked at eGPU’s TB3 was new!

That UTG3 looks really good, probably would be easier to use a 1000w PSU and Liquid cooling setup on too. I’ll have to pick that up, would love to find an enclose for it!