FW16 Batch 20 Guild

Looks like I’m having a similar issue with my Ryzen 9 7940HS. Will start on more testing this week & start the RMA process.

2 Likes

As an earlier batch 5, now I worry…

I don’t benchmark anymore. I just use, lol. But now I’m curious as to what Cinebench R23 score I get now that I have some reference points from your posts.

I was surprised to see bumps on the plate. I would have thought it would be flat for best mating and thermal conductivity. Strangely, the photos on their marketplace for the heatsink plate shows no bumps at all.

Click and zoom into the plate. Makes me wonder if you order the part as it is, if it will not have any bumps. Still questionable if it’ll be smooth and flat with better contact.

It would be great if the Replacement is like the one in the Picture. Maybe it’s the “older” Version the Review Units and older batches had. We assumed, that the “bumps” are the etched Area to help with the Surface Tension of the LM the FW Team mentioned in their Liquid Metal Deep Dive.
I will order one to crossreference and have something on the shelf if i destroy my current one. But im up for deployment next week. So i will have to wait till im home again to not destroy my Laptop beforehand without Time to fix it :sweat_smile:
I would love to see how your Batch 5 performs in CB23.

1 Like

So just did a 10 run Cinebench R23 & barely getting 14000 to 14500 score & temps below:

Gettting uneven spread across the cores, swing is over 20c on Maximum temps from highest core to lowest!

I can’t help but wonder if we should ping someone from Framework to look into this.

As an aside, my replacement Mainboard arrived today and it scored an average of ~15600 in CB R23 with an 8°C core-to-core delta. While this exceeds the minimum score listed by NotebookCheck, something just doesn’t feel right. I’ll be keeping a close eye on this.

1 Like

Welcome to the club… :slight_smile:
I have very similar case (but I have Core 3 on 100C while Core 0 on 82-86C max on multicore stress test). Results are here: High CPU temperatures at low utilization - #27 by Dmitry_Elsakov

I did ping Destroya in the User Review Thread. There i posted about the Issue and my Modification.
Your Replacement looks fine enough.

1 Like

Are you sure that you want to test it? :sweat_smile:

I ended up with the RMA because of this test.

Sometimes it’s best to stay ignorant. :sweat_smile:

What are your thermals looking like after the mod? And what has happened to your core-to-core temperature differences? Did they stay about the same or did they even themselves out?

Just some info for everyone else. FW support reached out with the request to run R23 and provide thermals.

I did so - and, the results were pretty much as everyone else said:

As seen, a temp delta of about 15 degrees, a really low score, and Core 4 was at 100c pretty much the whole time.

Biggest issue is only getting about 36 watts of package power.

1 Like

They evened out more and more, and the coldest Core switched to another Core. But my highest Delta is still 9C.

@knipp30
Ouch, yep thats far off. Mine is pulling around 54w decreasing to 50w over 2 or 3 Loops and my Core Frequency is between 4.16-4.4 during cinebench R23.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was only getting 35.3W on mine. My RMA has been approved & getting sent an new motherboard.

Hopefully that will resolve it.

1 Like

Well, I just checked and it appears to be similar to all you guys.
Biggest dT is 15 degrees Celsius. While the benchmark is running, all cores are at 4 GHz.
I’ve submitted a support request, We’ll see what happens

Pretty much same as mine - about 36W, but for 7940HS.
Waiting for replacement motherboard…

And result… less than 10k points for multicore…

BTW - I have replaced motherboard and now results are pretty great - details here, in other thread.

In Cinebench 2024 i had.

and

in singel core

Well thats the same Scores i had with the Mainboard i got replaced. You can see, that your Device pulls only 46W at max. Are you in Best Performance Mode and charged to your Set Charge Level?
and Mahlzeit nach Deutschland :smiley:

AS @ PSierra117 mentioned - please check that you have “Best Performance” as Power Mode in Settings (see below) and if it is, and you have 180W power switched on (not on battery), then your Max Power consumption for CPU should be 45W+.
Note: Looks like your max is 43W, which is low for non-battery best performance mode… I have very similar initially before replacement.

Also make sure you have latest BIOS (6.03.03 - here). Framework support also asked me to reset BIOS few times as well as reset Motherboard, but in my case nothing changed…

I received the new laptop today.

There’s a difference between Core #1 ( 81.2 C ) and Core #2 ( 99.9 C ).

The good part is that instead of 12950 points now I have 15685.

Core diff

Test Result

2 Likes