FW16 Batch 8 Guild

Are you asking if we can upgrade to a different motherboard (with CPU) on the 16"? Yes.

Can we ‘today’? Probably not - the marketplace isn’t stocked because they’re still working their way through the backlog of sending pre-order machines to people.

But in theory I could “upgrade” from the 7840 to the 7940 once the Marketplace is stocked. It would be a waste of money, but I “could” do it.

For the longer term - no upgrades have been announced but as I said, I trust they’ll come. When Framework first sold the 13" Intel 11’s, they didn’t announce Intel 12s and 13s. Those upgrades were negotiated later.

1 Like

Wasn’t so much that I didn’t check my email they didn’t send the notification for the pre-orders. And I even signed up on three different emails…

Yo, excited to be part of the FW16 experience. I’m planning on using Manjaro if I can get excellent battery performance easily enough. I’m thinking hibernate may be the way to go rather than praying for decent sleep support. 2230 for OS and 2280 for HOME.

I got the 7700S but am still expecting an Occulink 8i expansion card for docking and full blown desktop graphics. Just need a decent and short enough cable for PCIE4 to work.

2 Likes

So when are we thinking they’ll get to us? April-ish?

I wish so, I’m thinking about 6-12th in April. If I can’t receive it before April-26th, I will have big trouble as I gonna leave America for break.

If we’re making speculative wild-assed guesses…

I saw the phrase “between 4 and 21 days” on a batch 4 start notification email, so that’s how long Framework’s expecting a given batch (or maybe only batch 4. maybe sizes vary.) to take from start to finish. Let’s just irresponsibly generalize though, call it 3 weeks.

Batches overlap. Ignoring Batch 1 because it was very special, batch start emails for 2, 3, and 4, going by forum posts, seem to have been sent out

• Batch 2 - 2/13
  • Batch 3 - 2/19
  • Batch 4 - 3/7

I don’t remember when the Chinese New Year was there in the mix, but let’s say that it offset things a little between Batches 2 and 3… maybe we’ve got one to two weeks between batch starts? Let’s be conservative (hopefully) and say two weeks.

That’d be

• Batch 5 - 3/21
  • Batch 6 - 4/4
  • Batch 7 - 4/18
  • Batch 8 - 5/2

So, my, I-hope-conservative estimate is “during May”.

You heard it here first: Batch 8 shipments will be complete by December 2025.

3 Likes

Heh, I was just about to ask this.

Right now I’m betting, the second half of April. If I’m lucky, it’ll arrive on my birthday, heheh.

A few weeks ago I thought it would be late March, but then delays started happening, but these seem to be over now.

Many moons ago I had hope it would arrive in February, which is what I told the guy whose laptop I’m currently borrowing. He wants it back, and he keeps asking me when my FW16 is coming, and I keep having to tell him later estimates :woozy_face:

This story gets even better when I tell you that this guy is also my boss. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Heh, I’m sure it will arrive in late April since that’s going to be the only time nobody will be available to accept the package for a couple weeks.

3 Likes

Sadly, it’s now officially slipped into Q2. Batch 6 says “early Q2” , mine is just “Q2”. So probably in May, with approx. 2 weeks per batch?
I ordered on 15th of July, 2023. It will be close to a year until I finally get my order…

1 Like

8th update email just dropped. They expect to have ALL preorders fulfilled before the end of Q2!

3 Likes

Whoa! I haven’t seen that yet. Good to hear!!! (batch 14er here lurking in the forums)

They expect a 4-5 day cadence between batch preparing emails and expect to have all current pre-orders fulfilled by/before the end of Q2. They also have fixes for some issues in the works that will be pushed out in the form of driver and BIOS updates.

1 Like

WOOT CANT WAIT!!! I have the 2tb 770m SSD ordered and 2x 32 GB DDR5 5600 from crucial, I will reuse my 2TB Seagate initially to cut down on costs…going to do 64 GB DDR5 5600 as 96 is ~1.8x the cost 199.82 after tax vs 357.53 after tax. and I really don’t need that extra 32 gb I WANT it but don’t NEED it lol…

then later will get a 4TB Gen 4 WD 8xx ssd for the 80 mm.

So my specs are
Configuration

• System: Ryzen™ 7 7840HS

Expansion Bay System

• Expansion Bay Module: Expansion Bay Shell

Customization

• LED Matrix: LED Matrix
  • LED Matrix: LED Matrix
  • Keyboard: RGB US English
  • Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Black
  • Power Adapter 180 Watt Region: US / CA

Expansion Cards

• 1 x HDMI (3rd Gen)
  • 1 x MicroSD
  • 3 x USB-C – USB-C Expansion Card
  • 1 x USB-A

Bought Separately

• WD SN770m 2TB 2230
  • Seagate FireCuda 530 ZP2000GB30013 2TN 2280
  • 2x Crucial 32GB 5600 SoDimms CT32G56C46S5
  • Multiple Dell 130W, Dell 90W, and Dell 65W acadapters.
  • Dell WD22TB4 and Dell WD19 with either a 130, 180, 240 Watt Acadapter.

Looks like we’ve been pushed out to Q2 Gents. :face_exhaling:

Sliver linings though, there are some fixes incoming.

1. BIOS update for reliably loading 2230 SSD
  2. Keyboard Flex fix
  3. AMD GPU smart MUX driver fixes in Windows (Linux doesn’t have this issue, so it doesn’t really affect me)

April is still Q1 so I was holding out hope for maybe the last week of April, but thats not gonna happen at this rate. Lets give thanks to teams in Batches 1-3 for being the guinea pigs so that we could have less issues.

April is Q2. I’m not saying batch 8 won’t ultimately push to May, but they are saying they expect to be done or mostly done with batches 5 and maybe 6 by the end of Q1, which is the end of March. At a 4-5 day cadence between batch processing, it’s still feasible to get batch 8 by mid or late April.

Either way, I finally ordered my RAM. So I’m officially all set. I even have an adjustable laptop arm for my desk already mounted and ready. Now I just need the laptop, lol.

2 Likes

Hot dang you’re right. My mind is wrecked with projects from work that were originally due Q1 and got pushed to April and May :joy:. I really shouldn’t laugh because I’ll have to explain those projects and I don’t control those dates, but it’s funny how lost I got in there.

1 Like

Don’t feel bad. I was initially excited after the email, thinking there was a chance I’d get the laptop in April and when I saw your post I was like “Dang it! Why did I think April was Q2?” Then I went to doing other things and was suddenly like “Wait…”

I’ve been pretty scrambled on that stuff lately too. Too much going on. Besides, I blame the time change last week. That was last week, right? Lol.

1 Like

Ooh, batch 5 starting to get “preparing” emails. Just a two more to go before 8 is "preparing. At a 4-5 day cadence, it might even be early-mid April when we get our “preparing” email. At five days between preparing emails, even counting only business days, batch 8 would get our “preparing” emails the first week of April.

Edit: Obviously, things could still slip and I’m not going to “count” on that or anything. But it could be that soon.

2 Likes

I would say we will get our prepare email at April 4th and receive around 14th-15th

Well i got my 64GB Ram and 2TB 2230 SSD and Ready for the computer to arrive when it does.

3 Likes