Your FW16
  • Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
  • Ryzen™ 7 7840HS + Radeon™ RX 7700S
  • Ryzen™ 9 7940HS
  • Ryzen™ 9 7940HS + Radeon™ RX 7700S
0 voters
2 Likes

yo, nice to see this post

R9 and GPU, 64Gb and 4tb+2tb, ordered fancy stuff like matrix, numpad, and black bezel.

Gone for the Ryzen 9 and GPU. Got 64Gb ram and 4tb nvme ready to go…

1 Like

Ordered the R7 without GPU.
Bought 64GB Ram, just to be save
And a 2TB SSD. More than enough with my NAS at home.
Not ordered with the FW16 because the price gap was too high.

Ordered also the numpad and the orange bezel

Ryzen™ 7 7840HS + Radeon™ RX 7700S. Also took the standard bay in case a modding friend can do something with it later.

Black parts (spacers/bezel) plus numpad. International Linux kb.

2 TB ssd (have a 4 TB at home waiting to drop in). 16 gigs ram from FW.

1 Like

Samesies! (Batch 14 though)

Same, in Batch 5.

Honestly, isn’t Batch 5 the OG missed the email one?
I only missed it by a few hours but it cost me months of waiting, lol.

Whatever, it’ll be great when it’s finally here :​)

Ryzen™ 7 7840HS + Radeon™ RX 7700S

Though I kinda think I shoulda gone 9 but eh! Mostly due to memory compatibility haha. It should be more than fine, I just need to shop around more carefully.

2 Likes

Interesting to see that there are more pre-orders for R7 + GPU relative to just R9 (my setup). I would’ve thought that, if you’re spending that much on the GPU, you may as well go all out on the CPU as well. I’m curious to know, for those who pre-ordered the former setup, what’s your reasoning for not opting for the R9?

@Dummy I checked my mail earlier and could’ve gotten in at batch 4, but decided to wait a bit longer as I didn’t want to deal with early-batch bugs, which I assumed would be mostly ironed-out by batch 8.

1 Like

R7 no gpu diy RGB English kb led spacers Black Bzl

R7 as can’t justify $200 for 1-200 mhz if it added a core or gpu cores I could justify the $200. But for just cpu speed and looking at benchmark comparison not workth the $200. Now fw16 gen 2 when all I have to buy is mb then will see what I do.

I could have gotten in on batch 2 but also wanted the fixes applied etc and have a 2 gen old semi current xps 15 so no hurry to replace it.

Will likely move over my 2tb sn810 that came in it other wise will get the current 800 series ssd and get a 770n 2tb.

Still debating about ram If the 96 gig kit seem to work properly without issues, that’s what I’ll go with other wise I can make do with 64 gb.

I will be running windows 11 pro on it.

My xps 15 Dell XPS 9520 | Win 11 Pro | Intel i7-12700H | 15.6" 3840x2400 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-4800 | 2TB WD SN810 & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | Nvidia 3050Ti | 130Watt ACadapter
If I could have gotten it with out the gpu but get the higher end screen I would have.

Just cost/performance. I know the R9 supports the voltage curve settings and it might be fun to play around with, but I just decided the 100-200 extra Mhz wasn’t worth the extra $200. I understand that $200 isn’t that much in the grand scheme of a laptop like the FW 16 (especially for someone who ordered two LED matrix modules just because they look cool, lol). But ultimately, for me a laptop is always a performance compromise, even a “performance” laptop with a dedicated GPU, like the FW 16. I have a custom-built PC that I can crank up when I need it. Having something I can do a little bit of gaming and video editing with on the go is going to be nice. But the 7840HS is already a fast chip and I don’t see an extra few Mhz being worth $200.

I’m sure I’ll regret it in a few months. But that was my reasoning at the time, lol.

1 Like

It seems the R9 no GPU I ordered is the least popular option. I figured the 7700S isn’t all that impressive, and if I end up wanting it, I’ll just buy it then. I did order pretty much all the other toys though except the RGB keyboard.

R7 better power/thermal management. I was a little concerned with being an early adopter - I knew there would be early bugs and likely some power issues, and figured I’d power things down a bit - leave more tolerance for problems.

I’m not an elite gamer and if some games end up on “High” setting instead of “Ultra” I won’t care.

Also, the difference between the two CPUs wasn’t worth the price premium. I trust in the company to negotiate upgrades to sell me. I’ll buy a new CPU once this build is chugging.

Is the CPU even replaceable? I know most of it is down to even the memory, but the CPU being replaceable would be news to me.

Well technically yes, with great soldering skills and maybe some software patches.

Realistically however, no.
You’ll have to switch mobo+CPU, RAM and especially SSDs will probably stay compatible for a while.

Are motherboard + CPU combinations replaceable on these machines? I would guess that eventually we’ll see those become available, but…I’m not sufficiently knowledgeable in terms of the electronic engineering to really comment.

1 Like

yup. From my research, the perf difference is very small. Not worthy in my opinion, especially for the power consumption part.

Yes, those will be replaceable. The FW13 has been around for three years, and has done three generations of upgrades. They even worked with Cooler Master to make a case for their motherboards that are swapped out so you can use them as a desktop PC after upgrade if you wish.

Right now there is the current generation available in two flavors, but in the future you’ll be able to upgrade.

That is one of the main features of Framework, yes! Though, as this is the first release of the Framework 16 there aren’t any upgrade options (aside from the Ryzens 7040HS series), the Framework 13 has been around for a couple of years now, with annual CPU upgrades. Starting with the 11th Gen Intel Core, then the 12th Gen, and now the 13th Gen as well as the Ryzens 7040U series.

However, it isn’t just swapping out just the CPU but the entire mainboard. But you can do this while keeping all (or almost all) other components of the laptop the same. You can see the different boards available in the marketplace.

Assuming Framework doesn’t drop the 16 like a hot potato (and based on the number of pre-orders, I’m not worried of that happening), we should eventually start seeing CPU and GPU upgrades available for it (though, it does seem like the Ryzen 8040 series will be skipped, since the improvements over the Ryzen 7040 series is minor).

… Also, due to your username, I have to mention: “Hai, Kazuma desu.”

2 Likes

Ah, a man (or woman) of culture. Glad someone got the reference!

1 Like