[FW16] Wild colour issues (potentially iGPU & dGPU)

Got a Framework 16 with the extra GPU module using Windows 11 Pro (23H2 22631.3880) and have been having issues with its colour management.

The colour profile used by software running on the iGPU is very different than the colour profile used for anything else. Specific examples are Adobe Illustrator, Discord, and the native windows Photos app. For Adobe Illustrator I fixed it by selecting explicitly the correct colour profile within the software as it has those settings available, but attempting this anywhere else is impossible without that option.

Below is an example:
a .png is opened with the native Photos app on the left, with its preview in file explorer on the right. The colours on the right are the correct ones, the colours on the left in the photo viewer are incorrect. (compare R255 B85 G0 to R233 B99 G44)

Now, I’ve done the regular process. Changed the graphic settings to high performance in the windows display settings for all affected software. I tinkered with the AMD software: Adrenaline edition (which is a pain) and did not find the desired result. And I checked the BIOS for any possibilities of setting this through there.

NOTHING worked, and I’m still stuck with this issue.

Then I plugged in an external monitor to compare if it has the same issue on that display:

This is the same set-up as the previous image on the LAPTOP’s monitor (not the external monitor). Somehow, while having an external monitor plugged in, the colour issue is gone. When plugged out, it immediately reverts back to the previous colour profile for the photos app.

How the hell do I make that the default setting? Clearly it’s possible, but I have no idea why adding an external monitor would trigger this?

If anyone has an idea on how to tackle this let me know. I’m a graphic designer by trade so proper colour display is very important to me.

Try turning off Varibright.

Varibright was not the issue here, unfortunately.