Gray Smudges after a few weeks of use

Hey there,
I’m now using my fw 16 laptop for round about 8 weeks on a daily basis. I’m very happy with it so far. However, I have noticed a slightly cosmetic issue:
I have got some gray smudges that look like graphite or something else on the magnesium chassis right next to the keyboard. I first noticed it a few weeks ago and did a similar post here in the form {see: https://community.frame.work/t/flaw-in-the-magnesium-alloy-chassy-and-the-bezel/57789?u=paintingpaul}

Now, new smudges appeared on the chassis and I’m wondering if someone else has got a similar issue.

My current theory is, that these are due to the magnetic bezel: The bezel attracts small portions of graphit as it is diamagnetic:

Graphite is not magnetic under normal conditions. It is a form of carbon where the carbon atoms are arranged in layers of hexagonal patterns. Graphite is typically known for its electrical conductivity, lubrication properties, and use in pencils, but it doesn’t have significant magnetic properties.
However, graphite can exhibit very weak paramagnetism, meaning it may have a very slight magnetic response in the presence of a strong magnetic field, but this effect is negligible for most practical purposes. - ChatGPT

So I think, that the bezel attracts small portions of it which may be in my backpack or on my desk as I’m also someone who does sketches, writes with pencils, etc. There are also small spots of gray smudges on the bezel.

Any thoughts? And if you have encountered something similar, have you a tip to prevent/revert the smudges?

It may be that the smudges are from the corrosive nature of hand sweat. Some people have a degree of salt on their skins which attach the aluminium.

A similar topic

The marks seen in the photos provided don’t look quite the same as the marks left from my acid sweat.

It looks to me like it is actively staining the bezel, which I definitely wouldn’t expect from the frame. I’d suggest the pencil graphite theory has more weight.

1 Like

I don’t think that these smudges are due to the corrosive nature of hand sweat either because of the reasoning of Valence. Furthermore, my palms almost never touch the right side of the magnesium chassis and there are also some smudges. But thanks for the idea :slight_smile:

1 Like