Guess the features!

It certainly feels like users are trying to create a monstrosity sometimes. With everything they want to bolt on.

5 Likes

I hope it won’t be everything at once. They have to have a line somewhere.

1 Like

Would be cool if the FW15 can also have tires and an engine, so it can drive me to work autonomously while I can already start working on the way. Expecting tire-expansion cards in the marketplace tomorrow. :smiley:

2 Likes

second this

I don’t know if the cooling/heat dissipation budget of the PCIe 4/5 nvme devices can be handled by the provided cooling system.

To be honest, having to add a “huge” cooling systems to the NVMe drives kind of makes me think the technology is not ready for general use. If it gets too hot, it burns too much power. And remember, this is for storage. If the cooling fails, we may loose all the data on it.

So no. I’d rather have a decent PCIe3 board capable of doing Raid0 with 2xNVme drives. In the end it will probably also use less power overall.

My guess is we are just going to see a single nvme on the mainboard because it looks like there will be an expansion bay that gives you 2 more. This feels like a good compromise to me.

1 Like

That would be extremely poor design. Drives have temperature sensors, if the onboard controller sees the temperature is getting high enough to risk damage, I would think it will throttle the speed.

And yet that as happened already (Failing A PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSD In Less Than 3 Minutes Without Extra Cooling - Phoronix) due to faulty firmware.

I see the main issue (my personal opinion) in the power requirement. If it heats up that much, it requires power to do so. And power that goes up in heat indicates that the used technology is not adequate - as it needs to dissipate the heat. It means that it is totally inefficient and should not be used in a laptop. As simple as that :}

1 Like

I pray to God fw will add option for touch screen with pressure sensitive pen.

1 Like