Guess the features!

Outside of the exciting features already announced - what’s your guess on how many of the following possible improvements over the (already wonderful) 13" do you think we will see in the 16"?

• Dual NVMe slots
  • 4g/5g WAN card slot (seems hard/impossible to make this work as an extension card)
  • 4 RAM slots
  • DDR5 Ram
  • Windows Hello supporting webcam
  • Touchscreen display
7 Likes

Could pretty comfortably fit the expansion bay though, antennas may be a bit harder but there is enough space for internal one, would even add a connector for external ones.

if it works in an expansion card that would be great; but seems a few people have tried without any real progress. I expect the most likely outcome is integrated space for it on the motherboard with integrated antenna design - and perhaps the 16" has space for that in the way the 13" may not.

Not expansion card, that is definitely too small for most modems, the expansion bay (you know the big one).

1 Like

Possible, but note that the available PCIe lanes are already divided up in the expansion cards, the expansion bay connector and the Wifi module. We’ll see how many lanes are free for SSDs.

I find that unlikely given that Framework hasn’t talked about that at all.

Probably equally unlikely due to available board space.

Very likely give that the 13 inch AMD model also uses that.

Unsure about that.

Probably not. Framework has stated that the 16 inch version has a matte coating (the same as the new 13 inch model), and that would be unusual with touchscreens. Touchscreens are also only really useful for 2-in-1 models or convertibles or something like that. I hope for different resolutions, though.

2 Likes

Unusual for 16" matte screens or all matte screens?
I haven’t looked at how common they are at all. Just that I’m on a 15.4" thinkpad with a matte touchscreen. I didn’t think it was unusual.

Mine is not a convertible but I find it useful, and just nice to have the extra input option. Nice enough that I don’t plan to give it up. Would feel like moving backwards.

3 Likes

FW has already released design files for one in the GitHub.

What I meant is we already know that the expansion bay connector uses 8 PCIe lanes. We just don’t know how many lanes the CPU provides, and potentially how many the 6 expansion card connectors use (ie if they all have thunderbolt support).

Touchscreen won’t be coming in this release confirmed by nrp himself. See I Made a Bad Decision – Framework Investment Update - YouTube (marked timestamp)
But it sounded like they are aware of the demand :smiley:

2 Likes

Only confirmed that it will not be “in this release”. They could sell a touchscreen later as an option and a part people could swap in. I think it’s pretty safe to say the motherboard screen connector will likely have touchscreen signals. All the Framework 13 models, including the first release, has both i2c and usb touchscreen signals present on the screen connector.

2 Likes

I had not seen the expansion bay with dual nvme. I wonder if that’s the default bay, or if they will have the option for a completely empty one as a lower-cost option. Either way, I think that probably ansers the nvme question - looks like a 3 x nvme drive option will be pretty easy but you won’t be able to use it at the same times as the dedicated graphics card. I can live with that!

seems pretty limiting to me to use that space just for this. really hope they find a space on the motherboard!

Do any laptops have over two dimm slots? I personally haven’t seen one but also haven’t looked for that feature specifically.

Maybe that could be an add on mini screen down by the keyboard like how Apple has one.

Some of the Dell Precision range do so you can do 4 x 32gb. they also have 4 nvme drives. i had one, and hated it - moved to the framework 13 instead despite the sacrifices on some of these things; the frame.work 16" might be best of both worlds.

1 Like

Yes, at least since 2010 with the first gen core i laptops such as the ThinkPad W510. Basically the mobile workstation and mobile server catagory: ThinkPad P series (not the P1 nor the ‘s’ slim variants), Precision, Zbook.

1 Like

Ah, yeah that makes sense. Thanks

The keyboard is rgb (or at least the option). The one Linus is holding in that video is cycling through the colors.

1 Like

So that means the current CPU (Ryzen/Intel) don’t have any free PCIe lanes for the extra SSD slot? Not because of the size of the FW 13?

Ryzen 5 7640u has 20 lanes (from their spec),

If the Framework Laptop 16 had all of the following features, it would be the perfect laptop for me:

• Intel CPU - Mainly becuase I like Thunderbolt and want each external port to be equally capable; none of this only the back ports are Thunderbolt and left side video nonsense with the AMD boards.
  • No built-in dedicated GPU - This is very important; to get the best power usage, there must at least be an option to NOT have a deidcated GPU on the mainboard. The Dedicated GPU can be on the expansion card, just don’t have one directly on the mainboard.
  • Must be USB-C powered - Like the current Framework 13, even down to low powered chargers such as 30 or 45 watts.
    • If the dedicated GPU board makes it necessary to have a barrel jack, then at least make sure this is on a separate easily replaceable board that plugs into the mainboard or the expansion card, but still allow USB-C power at a reduced power/performance level. Though, an even better solution would be to use the new USB-PD standard that allows up to 240 watts of power via USB-C.
  • 2 (preferrably 4) SODIMM slots for DDR5, supporting the most recent non-binary RAM for support of up to 192GB of RAM.
  • Screen with resolution larger than 1920x1200 (confirmed, and the proposed 1600p is perfect)
  • Two NVME drives at PCIe 4 or 5 speed
    • Must have clearance for double-sided nvme drives in both slots.
  • At least one M.2 “wifi” slot – a second slot would be useful for something like the coral.ai accelerator
  • Rear expansion card capable with two more NVME slots at PCIe 4 or 5 speed
    • As with the primary slots, must have clearance for double-sided nvme drives in both slots. Also make sure drives with a fully populated bottom fit (Sabrent Rocket, Inland Performance Plus, etc., i.e. most things with a Phison controller that are double-sided) vs. drives with only half of the bottom side populated (i.e. WD Black, Kioxia, etc.). Just use the same slot as in the 13 inch and ensure absolutely nothing is on the PCB underneath it and you’ll be fine.
  • (optional) M.2 “cellular” slot – I’ll typically use this for another small NVME to install Windows in the (rare) event I need it for something.
  • (preferred but not required) Make battery externally replaceable, and split it up into two separate batteries. This way you can carry extra batteries and change them out without turning off the laptop or plugging it in.

If Framework could manage to squeeze all of the above into the 16 inch laptop, I’d be a Framework customer for life and would never even bat an eye at another brand.

P.S. Some more ranting about double-sided NVMEs. Lots of manufacturers get this wrong. Some will have a slot that would otherwise be capable of housing a double sided NVME, but have junk on the PCB underneath it and therefore don’t actually have the clearance for it (I’m looking at you HP and ASUS). A particularly egregious example is the ASUS Space Edition laptop which has a single solitary capacitor (or potentially resistor) near the slot which interferes with most double sided drives, and the only ones that will fit are ones where only the screw end is populated on the bottom, such as WD Black and Kioxia drives. Then there’s companies like Lenovo that use a super slim m.2 slot so that you can’t use a double sided drive at all, just to save a whole mm, even when there’s room to have a regular height slot for a double sided nvme.

I think it’s bad to have this preorder speculation thing…

4 Likes