[GUIDE] [Ubuntu] Razer Core X Chroma eGPU + AMD RX 7900 XTX

After replacing the PSU of the Razer Core with a Corsair SF750 (using this mod) and using two different PCIe power connectors, I now get 5220 at the 3DMark Speed Way benchmark.

The only overclock I used is the Adrenaline “Overclock GPU” mode that automagically set a GPU clock to 3043Mhz. No other changes.

1 Like

@Jean-Marc_Le_Roux And it looks like amdgpu drivers support some kind of hotplug with Xorg, could you confirm or deny?

So e.g. if you are already using Xorg in a session, and you hotplug the eGPU, it should enable an additional “provider” as seen in xrandr --listproviders. Without restarting Xorg.

1 Like

Yeah I saw that there are some solution to unbind PCIE-devices from the kernel and connect that with some module-unload commands. But I’d also be very interested to hear if hot-plugging an amdpro gpu works without restarting X.

Thanks a lot!

I have the same enclosure + gpu, but I’m struggling to get everything working. Followed your steps, but it seems that Ubuntu just doesn’t know how to use the graphics card over thunderbolt.
Would appreciate any advice that can be offered!

Are you using Wayland or X11?

Are you using Wayland or X11

X11 for egpu-switcher. Though I suppose Wayland and all-ways-egpu is an alternative

Managed to get my best score yet with the following settings (v23.3.1):

4 Likes

Marking this as a guide due to the outstanding results: [RESPONDED] Starfield running on the Framework 13 - nicely done!

5 Likes

I can confirm on my Setup Arch Linux + Wayland that my egpu(in my case a rx 6600) is working with all-ways-egpu.

You can hotplug the egpu under wayland, but as soon as all-ways-egpu switches to the egpu for rendering using the integrated graphics card is not possible until reboot.

Still decent results and a working system :slight_smile:

I also tested a Nvidia gpu, with no real success.

1 Like

egpu enclosures are getting pricey these days they are like 400< aud
idk if i will get one

Hi, new to Linux on my AMD Framework 13 and I’ve got the same egpu setup and trying to get Ubuntu 22.04 running. I’m confused on how to install the missing amdgpu firmware. Downloading and extracting makes sense, but how do I copy the amdgpu firmwares? That command doesn’t seem to work and I feel like I’m missing something obvious. Any help would be great!

1 Like

Welcome to the party @Red2_StandingBy - I dig the sn :slight_smile:

This step may not be necessary anymore. It’s my understanding that kernel 6.0+ has full support for this series of graphics card. It’s been a while since I was on Ubuntu but I believe if you enabled there HWE you’d pull down the 6.2 kernel. Anyone, feel free to correct me here!

However, if you really want to grab the latest firmware…

Follow the OP’s link on the 3rd bullet point, download the latest *.tar.gz file. Extract it and move the contents of the tarball into /lib/firmware

That command would look something like this: (assuming you’re in the extracted directory)
sudo mv /path/to/extracted/tarball/* /lib/firmware/

1 Like

@wiggmpk thanks for the info! I actually tried something a little different. I installed HoloOS on an external SSD (a SteamOS 3 clone) and it seems to run my egpu setup just fine! Just plug n play! Resizable BAR seems to be a thing that egpu users want to make use of, my max output is 256mb not 8gb which seems to indicate that ReBAR is off so I gotta figure that out. If you or anyone else knows how to enable that, I’d love the support!

@Red2_StandingBy sorry, I don’t much other than it’s referred to as Resizable Bar on Intel platforms and Smart Memory Access on AMD

1 Like

I have a 4070ti in a PC that has otherwise really old hardware that I might get rid of. Could I use the GPU with the RAzer Core + Framework 13? I know Nvidia has driver issues on Linux, but if I plan to passthrough the graphics to a Windows VM would that be an issue? I assume I wouldn’t need to install a driver on the Linux host and IOMMU works with eGPUs (ive only set up IOMMU on desktops with PCI graphics cards, so i’m not sure if it works the same way with egpus+usbc)

It does work exactly the same way. I already tried the setup with eGPU on Arch Linux passed through to win10 VM on 1050-Ti.
Used TH3P4G2mni from AliExpress.
I can also try on RX6600.

From a functionality perspective, are you able to power your FW13 via the single cable from the eGPU? Or do you need to power the Framework and EGPU seperately? Is the BIOS screen present/functional during boot?

I’m using an AMD FW13 7040 connected to a Razer Core X Chroma with a 3060. So far not getting any video out when using a single cable. I’m using the coolermaster case so it makes it a touch more difficult.

I am able to get power from my Razer Core X Chroma paired with a RTX 3070. I am using a i5-1340p mainboard in a laptop config, but I dont see how being standalone affects functionality. However I have had on and off issues getting BIOS video through the GPU, but once it POSTs then I get video out of the GPU.

Hey @Jean-Marc_Le_Roux , Thanks for sharing. I am really new to hardware, so my question may be dumb. I want to use my framework 13 (running Ubuntu 22.04) for machine learning.

Right now, I am using the built-in GPU (I turned on the performance mode in the BIOS), which works, but every time I run a model, my attached monitor starts flickering, and I have to disconnect it so it starts working again. Also, I find my battery drains extremely fast, in addition to the time it takes to run some models.

I have been wondering if an eGPU will solve this problem for me, and I came across your article, which seems may work for me too. I am wondering

1. If I am right in thinking on this line.
  2. If not, would you have any advice for someone like you who is a complete novice in this space?

Regards