Has the flimsy screen been fixed?

I’m still keeping my preorder and i’m still excited to have a good laptop. I hope maybe they do a sturdier lid like they did for the 11th gen 13"

1 Like

i would like to point out “just do things differently” isn’t always a reasonable option. i have limited grip strength and impaired motor control, i have to apply force from corners to successfully open many laptops without dropping them or slipping my hand off of the lid.

is the position then “sucks to be disabled, you shouldn’t want this” ?

4 Likes

I see your point. That is a point that has to be considered more, but I can understand that this is not in the mind on everyone.

I’ve tested my L430 and the display is also bending. I think it is the problem with laptops who has 2 hinges.

I think we have to wait for reviews addressing this concerns or the feedback from B1 users

I tried opening my T570 Thinkpad by one corner, as shown in the verge picture.

I see the same amount of flex. And I don’t feel this Thinkpad is flimsy. I think it would be just fine if you could only ever open it by the corner like that. Given that, I don’t think you can really tell from a picture. Either you need to feel it in person or wait for more reviews and opinions from regular users.

3 Likes

Absolutely seriously. I grew up on 90s laptops, which had some lid flex. I’ve always opened them from the centre. Most laptops even have a cutout in the centre to nudge the behaviour. Shocking, I know!

It wasn’t until Apple started milling lids out of solid aluminium in around 2009 and/or other manufacturers started glueing the screens in that they became as rigid as your entitlement suggests.

Human beings are adaptable. I’d rather Framework didn’t have to pander to the hard of thinking and make a thick 2mm thick CNC milled lid with all the environmental downsides, when you can just adapt your behaviour and open it from the centre.

9 Likes

Do remember the Community Guidelines

3 Likes

“Sucks to be disabled” is correct, full stop. I’m sorry for your struggles. I have family that struggle with various disabilities, and it’s not fun.

Personally, I doubt it will go as far as being an issue where you can’t lift the display open from the sides. If the display is actually damaged by opening or closing it from the corners, then that would be a much bigger problem than “Yuck, it flexes when I do that.” If opening the display from the corners actually damages the machine, I’d be on board with “they need to fix that.” If it just flexes and goes back to normal, then I don’t personally see it as a big issue, though obviously some do, and that’s fine.

I know this doesn’t help much (especially for folks who have a pre-order lower than batch 8, which is where I am in the pre-order queue). But I’ll make a point to open and close my display from the corners in order to see if this causes any damage or permanent warpage and report back. However, being as I’m in batch 8, I bet others will have done so long before I get mine. But if not, I’ll try it.

4 Likes

The current lid is the same as the “sturdier” lid on the 13" laptops. Milled from 6063 Aluminum. It may be more flexible than the 13" because it is larger.

5 Likes

Hi,
What is the problem with the flex?
I don’t think the screen is glass and won’t shatter if bent.
If the screen is not going to be damaged if bent a bit while opening/closing it, then what is the problem?
Of course, if the bend is permanent, then that is of course a problem, but if it just flexible and goes flat when not being touched. I don’t see the problem.

1 Like

It is unlikely to be a problem, some people seem to associate that flex with a cheaper perceived build quality though?
Can’t say I’m the same, if the chassis is all metal (which it is), I definitely don’t view it as “bad built quality”.

5 Likes

There is no problem, it’s some people getting bent of out shape as it’s not as stiff as a MacBook Pro with it’s glued in display assembly.

4 Likes

To those worried about the screen flex:

My FW13 flexes just as much, but on a 13 inch screen (I just did the two corner flex test seen in the video linked above on the 13 I’m writing this on, and get more degrees of flex but about the same distance at each corner). A 16 inch screen can take more flex because that flex is distributed across a larger area, meaning less stress on the screen itself. I have a first gen 13 that does not have the upgraded screen that came with the intel 12th gens that “fixes” the flex, and have no issues. I do wonder how many people have had to replace it, but I have abused my laptop for over 2 years in and out of a bag 5 to 8 times a day going from site to site, and it is fine. I take it with me classroom to classroom as a teacher, and it gets a lot of open and shut abuse.

I expect the same with my FW16.

I will say that my screen shell on the FW13 has a nasty dent near the Framework gear logo from a fall onto a pointed table edge, but no evidence of damage on the screen itself. Pretty confident in it, if only anecdotally.

2 Likes

Better flex than brittle, ever notice the wings when in an airliner?

6 Likes

I suggest all the people bothered by the flex to immediately cancel their preorder and wait for a fix from Framework. Soooo, I would receive mine earlier … Thank you for your cooperation ! :pray:
:kissing_heart:

28 Likes

That’s what I did.

3 Likes

Perfect, thank you.

Unironically though, I hope they incorporate those fixes before Batch 5 ships, as it’ll make up for me missing pre-orders by a few hours and waiting 2 months extra because of that…

2 Likes

In the iFixit video, they mentioned it takes 4 screws to take the display panel out. For something this big, wouldn’t more mounting points help with rigidity?

2 Likes

Not in your back yard!!

…More than 4 fixing points will not necessarily reduce twisting. It’s more about the casting that houses the screen, and it’s stiffness ( independent to the screen ). But that’s just the Industrial Designer in me speaking… I’ll know more when I get mine in batch 6

1 Like

I disagree. Making the screen act more like an integral structural part will help with rigidity.

1 Like