Has the flimsy screen been fixed?

Not in your back yard!!

…More than 4 fixing points will not necessarily reduce twisting. It’s more about the casting that houses the screen, and it’s stiffness ( independent to the screen ). But that’s just the Industrial Designer in me speaking… I’ll know more when I get mine in batch 6

1 Like

I disagree. Making the screen act more like an integral structural part will help with rigidity.

1 Like

But do you really want to ADD stresses to the most fragile component in the assembly?

8 Likes

What about something like these: https://www.tesa.com/en/consumer/mounting-hanging-sms/adhesive-strip-powerstrips
That could reduce flex by removing relative motion between lid and display and be removable with careful placement. There might be positions where there is enough clearance for the half mm thickness of the strips.
Another way could be something like gummy glue. That should be removable by cutting through it with a string.
I didn’t try any of this, my 13 is sturdy enough for me.

The FW13 already uses that type of adhesive strips to attach the screen to its mounting brackets. Unofficial Guide to Aftermarket LCD Replacement

1 Like

A bare laptop display barely has any rigidity of itself, they are pretty soft.

3 Likes

I agree, screens are the very soft and delicate to handle for flexing resistance. but a screen is resistant in tension. By glueing it or by adding more mounting point the screen will reduce flex by limiting its compression/tension. Remember that for something to flex, out outer surface/layer will need to either compress or stretch.

I agree that on principale, one would not want to add sttress to a fragile component. But in certain direction such as tension/conpression the display will be resistant. I am more tempted to look at imperial evidence with all laptops being sold today having a glued screen.

You could put some tensile tension on display component, the glue would use some of that, but compression will super easily destroy the display.

I suspect most of the strength comes from the bezel being hard-mounted to the back via glue (or something) forming a double-C box structure which is known for being relatively rigid. or where the display is mounted on the back of glass which is significantly stronger (which is why you can’t get a non-gloss mac for example)

Reading all these Lupin threads about the screen flex… I don’t understand how I could live with flexing screens all these years. This, and the one finger screen opening. One thread is enough. Why multiple threads with the same topic?

4 Likes

Because he is trolling ???

6 Likes

Maybe. Don’t know.

That’s how I interpreted it. Their posts throughout this forum have been nitpicky and negative…could be a genuine wanting to get things pointed out in reviews addressed, but the volume and tone of the posts lead me to interpret as trolling.

It I am interpreting it wrong, apologies…but that is how I see it.

6 Likes

Possible. I’ve yet to see a post from them that is positive in tone or content.

3 Likes

…multiple threads is like being flexible!!:joy::joy:

2 Likes

My flimsy screen test: While screen is on, reach around screen, thumb on bezel, press fingers into the back of the screen in different places. Can this make the colors distort, so it looks like a bump or hill near where the fingers are pressing?

If yes, then the screen might need additional support when there might be pressure on it during travel. Some sort of stiff board or plate or large stiff book or tablet about the same size as the screen. Otherwise, items that press into the back of the screen can stretch the screen.

Risks:

• Infrequent brief deformation might not be a problem. Frequent or prolonged deformation (such as on a commute) increases the risk.

• Strong deformation might press the screen into the keyboard, where travel vibrations can scratch the screen surface.

• Eventually, repeated screen stretching and deformation can weaken connections and shorten the life of the screen. (Yes, I have had to replace a laptop [not Framework] with a flimsy screen that failed prematurely.) (Yes, the Framework screen can be replaced. But screen failure might not happen at a convenient time or place.)

Packing:

• If the laptop travels alone, or in a stiff briefcase, there probably is not a problem.

• I try to be careful when carrying a laptop with other items that can press into the middle of the screen, such as small books or phone or bottle or groceries. That could cause screen flex, especially if tightly packed, or on a bumpy trip with heavy items.

• Squeezing a soft bag into tight spaces (such as under or behind a seat) might flex the screen, if the bag has items that can press into the back of the screen.

• In a simple backpack, I make sure to face the screen side away from my back so my spine doesn’t press into the screen when I bend over, especially on a bicycle. (My backpack does not have a stiffening plate, nor a frame to separate the content from my back so sweat can evaporate.)

1 Like

Similarly: I have cotton padded bag, with two pockets. The laptop goes in the back pocket with the screen facing the other pocket. The back pocket faces my back and the second pocket has a 3mm piece of 3ply wood that faces the screen.

But sadly I have now contributed to adding to off topic posts. This is really only about how flimsy the OP considers the 16" screen.

And to the OP: Why ask here? Contact support for a real and proper answer, as you can see what happens on a forum > no answer but lots of ‘related’ comments about screens in general and winging in general. Get a grip of the issue with both hands and be careful with the screen. It doesn’t require fixing as it is a personal issue of use.

If you don’t like it with a couple of weeks just send it back and you will have no such concerns.

Videos that show the flex are useful and show what to expect, they do not show a ‘problem’

3 Likes

I don’t notice much keyboard flex but there is some screen flex on my batch 1

For issues, including the screen and keyboard

1 Like