HDMI controller board for display panel

Since I haven’t pulled the trigger on the project I don’t have anything definite, but here’s a current listing that claims to support touch. It uses a secondary connector for the touch component (would design a board to add those signals to a 40-pin, then use a non-Framework cable that actually has the wires on all necessary pins).

2 Likes

Just FYI, I talked to some seller on Aliexpress and got them to flash one of their monitor driver boards for us :smiley:

Update: This is not a solution to attach to the Framework Laptop to get two HDMI Output channels, this is just a LCD controller board which will need to be hooked up to the Display and can then receive two Mini HDMI Input / switched between them

Its a dual(!) mini HDMI board including the right eDP cable and it works perfectly. A lot better (and cheaper) than the eDP to Display Port board. I think it even got an audio amplifier on board and a control menu for setting some stuff. Really liking this very much!

6 Likes

This is really cool, would help to save one of the ports for display output.

Now we need to redesign the 3D printed case to fit this and maybe a A-E key ethernet port for a desktop solution.

Sorry @Jieren_Zheng - I think you misunderstood my post and I am going to correct it there. This is NOT an dual HDMI output which can be hooked up to the Framework Laptop. Its a display controller for Frameworks Display Panel. So you can hook up the display directly to it instead of using the other controllers with USB-C or DisplayPort. I think there is no solution yet to use the Framework Laptops internal eDP port except the custom cable of Framework to directly attach the Display to - even though it should be fairly easy to just use this Laptop eDP port to allow for a normal, external DisplayPort port/cable.

I don’t know if I understand this correctly, but eDP is just DP with some additional voltage wires + i2c and I guess the only needed part would be an adapter cable which does transfer the internal (well documented) physical port to an DisplayPort port with the correct wiring and then it could work. But I have not tried that.

2 Likes

I was reading the part about eDP to DP board and got confused. Thanks for clarifying!

I don’t know if this is still of interest to you, but I found these neat little boards sold by Geekworm. They seem to be available on AliExpress.

Given the reviews and the photographic evidence, I think it might work. However, I won’t be able to test them until I’m able to procure an eDP to mainboard cable from somewhere. Bonus, they support 1, 2 and 4 lanes modes, so there’s room for experimentation. The board even gets its power from the eDP cable !

1 Like

Looking real cool to me @iLambda - nice find!
But yeah - I am still really looking for a spare eDP cable for just wiring up my replacement display to my framework laptop… and it looks like one cannot those spare parts without buying a display. I really hope someone comes along somewhen with a spare part for this cable with even an extended length for custom builds…

1 Like

I couldn’t even source the connector somewhere that didn’t require to ask for a quote for a prohibitive amount of parts. But, the search continues !

As soon as I’m financially able to, I’m gonna source one of these boards and try to see what it takes to make an updated design, that fits maybe a little better with the mainboard connector. Having the possibility to bypass software backlight control, use eDP power lines to power a tiny screen, and all these things seem like they could be interesting for people making specialized DIY builds with the mainboard, but not wanting to use a whole USB-C port for IT.

Keeping you all updated, probably in a separate thread.

1 Like

I noticed they have a board with a receptacle. Has anyone tried it? https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805297147520.html

7 Likes

Interesting! I just ordered one to try.

3 Likes

Would it be possible to purchase edp cables? I got lucky and bought a spare that someone had for my Thinkpad conversion project, but it would be great to be able to buy some from the site.

2 Likes

Another interesting board - https://t.co/M2WLSmsNEe

That looks promising! Having Type-C as the interface could be very useful.

It works really well!

20 Likes

Great find! Will be really useful for development purposes when I get around to part sourcing and injecting the signals from a digitizer daughterboard directly into a 40-pin.

1 Like

Two more boards :smile:
https://sl.aliexpress.ru/p?key=7ZjPZnM

1 Like

@nrp that’s great! Which ribbon cable are you using with the module? The AliExpress listing has an option with and without cable HDMI controller board for display panel - #79 by nrp

The optional cable in that listing works.

I think this little board is really promising for potentially repurposing spare display kits as portable monitors! Perhaps in a slimmed down version of the Framework AIO that would be able to slip into a bag or clip on top of a regular desktop monitor?

2 Likes

Can you bend the EDP cable behind the screen 180* and can it run for hours without overheating?