[RESPONDED] Headphone jack intermittent noise?

@Kieran_Levin Mine has done it pretty much constantly since I got the laptop, whether on AC or battery.

But on a hunch, I reseated all the expansion cards and the static seems to have gone away. FWIW, I’ve been running the following arrangement of cards:

• Left Rear: Type-C
  • Left Front: HDMI
  • Right Rear: Type-C
  • Right Front: USB-A
1 Like

@jeshikat thanks. Let us know if the static comes back (or doesn’t) over the next few days.

1 Like

Sounds like two different issues? I’m hearing occasional static through headphones in the left channel. This seems to primarily happen (or primarily be noticeable) when somebody is talking. I first noticed it during a video conference call. I could still understand the voices, but the static was bothersome. Heard it again today, listening to a radio program. It’s difficult to always reproduce, but I’ll post here if I’m able to figure out a pattern. Running Fedora 34.

I think I managed to record a snippet of some static that I keep encountering on my end? This random song ended up being particularly noticeable at least.

Is this the same thing other people are encountering? It seems to only happen for me when connected to my eGPU though. For the most part it’s pretty easily ignore-able though

3 Likes

For me, if I am to raise the volume in a song it makes the sound a lot more audible. Occasionally it wont happen or I just won’t notice it, but watching videos on YouTube definitely make it noticeable.

@FaultedBeing it sounds similar. Does it get worse if you change the audio to right channel only?

I’ll be able to make a better recording when I get home later this week, I’ll share here when I do!

2 Likes

Headphone jack intermittent noise? - #18 by jeshikat I can’t seem to replicate it regularly, so I can’t say anymore. Its been gone for the last 3 days at least

1 Like

Thought it would be interesting to mention that I hear the same static sounds on my laptop speakers.

1 Like

Got pretty terrible static on my unit as well, a restart of Windows 11 fixed it for me. Will be using headphones throughout the week to see if it comes back.

1 Like

Interesting. The static on mine came back the very next day but I haven’t had the energy to troubleshoot it further.

1 Like

If it’s consistent while plugged into a power source maybe try a different brick? Maybe of a few different wattages as well? If it’s consistent with the default (60-65w? I don’t remember) brick, it’d be interesting to see if it happens with say, a 30w one.

1 Like

I hear static on my headphone jack quite consistently. I hear it in both channels, but the left channel is slightly worse. Occasionally it disappears, but I haven’t seen any correlation with the charger so far. (Running Ubuntu 21.04)

1 Like

@Jerry does it happen all the time? And on your speakers and headphone jack output?

1 Like

The higher I have my volume, the higher the chances of hearing the static on headphones and the speakers.

1 Like

I’m also hearing a bit of static, using headphones plugged in directly to the jack. It seems like switching to 16 bit output from 24 bit output (windows 11 audio settings) makes the static stop but it’s quite hard to tell overall.

2 Likes

Anyone else experiencing the static running Windows may want to try the new driver pack: Public Beta Test: BIOS v3.03 + Driver Bundle 2021_08_31

While troubleshooting another issue I installed it and static was there before the update, and was gone after installing and rebooting. Of course, it could be coincidence but my unit seems to have the static almost all the time so this is promising.

3 Likes

well, it is only coming from the left channel and sounds more that the source of the output is not grounded correctly.

Audio hardware is very sensitive to power so things must have separate power sources and be grounded separately.

from what I am reading is that anything with power use on the same side as the headphone port makes the static.

1 Like

I have also been hearing intermittent crackling/static from the headphone jacks. Card configuration has had no noticeable impact on the sounds.

2 Likes

I hear the static noise while I try to adjust the connector pin that is plugged-in to the port. I have to fiddle with it for a good few seconds to find the right orientation for the static to go away. Even after that, the headphone volume is too low. I turned up the system volume and my headphone’s volume control and it is still far too low. The volume issue might be a driver issue but something is certainly up with the port itself.

2 Likes