Help: China customs has confiscated my framework laptop

They are requesting a CCC certificate which I have no idea what it is. The message I received from them is as follows:

尊敬的联邦快递客户:

您好,

如无进出口经营权,有CCC证书,可联系一下如下报关行咨询是否可正式申报,前面三家是我司的一般推荐,后面两家是有时候前面三家做不到的,其他客人找过的报关行,请自行咨询委托,五家均跟联邦快递无任何关系的。

谢谢!

(二)、如贵司无进出口经营权

需委托有进出口经营权的公司申报,提供以上资料第(一)点资料外, 还需提供收件公司跟代理公司间的委托代理协议原件。

如贵司无法自寻代理公司可联系以下公司(贵司与代理公司间的任何问题均与联邦快递无关): 

广州博誉进出口贸易有限公司:(海关A级信用企业)严小姐,020-36700308 Email:36700308@gzboyu.com.cn
    深圳市鑫时代贸易有限公司:(海关B级信用企业)  黄先生,15918800671  Email: by@56100.com
    广州斯帕克商贸有限公司,一般信用企业  张先生 020-39422794 /17728030063 邮箱:gzspk2018@163.com

我司地址:广州市花都区花东镇李溪村联邦大道777号联邦快递清关部  

Based on a Google Translation, looks like some papers are missing and Chinese authorities are recommending you contact a Customs Broker. Hopefully it’s not confiscated. More of not cleared to pass through customs due to missing documents.

A few questions:

Is your destination a supported country?
Are you shipping via a freight forwarder?
Is this an independent shipment?

If you’re shipping to an unsupported country, unfortunately Framework won’t be able to help you out. If the item got held on its way to a supported country, best to contact Framework Support so they can help you out.

If you are shipping via a forwarder, best to contact your forwarder.

If this is an independent shipment via FedEx, best to contact FedEx for support.

In any of the cases, might as well contact Framework support for advice. They may still be able to help out in other ways.

I hope you get this sorted out soon!

Unfortunately this is exactly why we actively discourage freight forwarding. Once it is confiscated due to lack of papers while not meeting import criteria, it’s completely out of our hands. We are not legally allowed to sell or ship our product in China. Please review our Terms of Sale, our Warranty, and view or knowledgebase article on not supporting freight forwarding to unsupported countries/regions located here: Does Framework support freight forwarding of products to unsupported countries/regions?

As we are unable to provide the required documentation given our inability to sell/ship to China, you will need to work with your freight forwarder, but they will likely ask for documentation we are unable to provide.

13 Likes

I have contacted customs via phone and apparently I have to split the laptop and its components and choose only a single module. The rest will be discarded.

** I brought it by hand in a luggage bag and it was inspected. The framework laptop was still in its box at that point and they thought I was gonna sell it. Once they inspected it, they thought that the components looked suspicious and took it away and told me to leave an email address for further contact while they try to verify concerns.

1 Like

It’s sad that the trade war has extended to basic consumer products

1 Like

it’s disappointing how this happens in the entire place. Which I guess is not so surprising since he made himself president for life.

The message above asks for Framework to provide Import/Export license, or a CCC License. Which I think they will be unable to provide.

And, if none of them is possible, contact the companies (listed below) to see if the laptop can be declared (at the customs), and that none of the companies are related to the … delivery company.

It’s funny that you mentioned that they allow you to pick a part (of the laptop) and discard the rest. I will keep the mainboard, if anything.

Oh right because you brought it in in a box. If you have the laptop out (as a separate unit), and then have the box scanned differently (because it’s paper)? you do not need to declare.
Alternatively I think you can put it as check-in luggage.

1 Like

I don’t think is does anything but that.

• Food
  • Fuel
  • Machinery
  • Electronics

By splitting the laptop and it’s components I can’t imagine they meant the insides as @Xavier_Jiang mentioned ??

It makes no sense having to leave some modules other than they want to use them as a design to copy. An over enthusiastic customs officer no doubt, overly cautious for their job dependedncy, or just being awkward.

Well, there is a few way around this.

If you remove the laptop from the box, then you are indicating that “this laptop is for my personal use” and therefore is not a piece of imported goods and not required to report to customs.

I’m not sure what it will be considered as if you bring in laptop parts. (e.g. the display and the display only). It might (be considered as electronics).

Although, in theory, you should not bring anything that is not for personal use – that’s why you are a passenger, not a company. A company will need to file a bunch of paper basically telling the country "ok i want to import these things to china to sell them.

http://english.customs.gov.cn/
The translation of the site is so bad. But then, this is what happens when you tell government officials to get things done.
(browsing the simplified chinese site)
It look like the webpage is made for government officials for themselves. It list endless and endless things of “oh we announced the modification toward “xyz” regulation at this date”

I don’t know. I have only departed China with potential “electronics” and machinery (I carried some parts for my electronic projects and some tools (soldering iron, etc).
I’m not sure about returning. In theory you won’t have to worry about it either.

so how are you caught?
You brought it in via a luggage bag and it was inspected. Why/how are you required to be shown your luggage?
When I enter the states you just show visas and stuff. Although I have the “privilege” to be pulled aside and have my belongings checked.
So you did get pulled aside and you show them the framework laptop still in the box. thats kinda … bad.
I like to keep packaging of nice things because … well, they are nice things. Although usually I will take the “thing” out of the box and have the box stored/placed elsewhere. Not sure about shipping. Might discard it actually.

I assume your laptop is put on hold (at the customs) when you enter, and they said they will mail it back to you after inspection. However obviously the inspection failed and the laptop is now at the “Customs Clearance Office” of this logistics company.

why can’t they be convinced that it’s for your personal use? Do you have any of your data on it?

2 Likes

Is your trouble solved?

1 Like

Hi @MisakaMikoto welcome to the forum and thank you for checking on the issue.

All the best

After a lot of back and forth, I have recieved my Laptop after a few months of it stuck in customs. It came with a ton of missing components stolen by the customs officials. China is a nightmare.

2 Likes

I don’t expect anything less from China’s customs…and less everything at the same time.

2 Likes

Maybe they want to make cheaper copies and then offer to sell you them a bit later. :slight_smile: :frowning: You are not as Insignificant to China as you may wish and not Insignificant to me, only I wouldn’t steal from you.

3 Likes

1 China Compulsory Certification(CCC) is the Chinese version of FCC certification(US)
2 The Custom only allowing “resonable amount of personal use item”, or you must deal with all the importing documents. based on your case, I think the expansion cards are being identified as a standalone electronic devices, since Framework don’t do business in China yet, I would say it’s not totally nonsense

and the last thing I wanna mention, I don’t know what’s Framework’s attitude to politics and these “kind of political realted” posts in the community, it’s going to be an problem, or weakness, when you tryin to do business in some contries like, of course, China. To be honest, I want Framework to be succeed, so if you have a plan to sell globally, don’t touch politics, make the rule, this is surely going to be a slipery slope

and if you disagree with me, just ignore it, this is completely not the type of conversation I want when I register this account

2 Likes

Almost 1 and a half years since then. My slots are still empty but the Framework is perfectly fine without them!

6 Likes

If you would like expansion cards, or any other replacement parts really, there is https://frame-parts.myshopify.com. They say they ship worldwide. As a community service for those currently in a country that Framework can’t sell to.

3 Likes

I’m no longer in China. FREEDOM!

13 Likes

Really glad you make a way out from that country

1 Like

Absolute win. Now you can have all the expansion cards you want.

1 Like

that’s good to know. At least they didn’t steal, I don’t know, the main board.

… damn. Well, lesson learned – don’t ever take it to china with any trace of the packaging.

1 Like