HELP! Half my USB ports stopped working randomly!

Try checking your events or details to see if you can find what triggered the error message.

what kind of error would it look like

I looked through the Windows logs and nothing looked like it was something that could of caused the issue.

Which Linux distro were you using to test the USB ports? Try running lsusb and seeing what you get. Also run usb-devices and see if your USB hub is detected.

I tried it with Ubuntu.

also where would I run usb-devices?

the USB hub I used was the Anker ExpandPower 6-in-1 PD Ethernet Hub if you’re wondering too.

Run the command in terminal. Also because your entire left side ports do not work, if it is a hardware issue then the laptop’s internal USB hub might be broken so try seeing if it at least shows up in lsusb and usb-devices.

When I plug in my USB hub there’s a white light that’s supposed to turn on but on the left it doesn’t and on the right it does.

Then that probably means it’s a hardware issue. I would file a support ticket and try to get a replacement.

alright, I’ll try that thanks!

Hi @zachary_stout ,

Like @Elliot_Lu said, get in touch with Framework support so they can help guide you in troubleshooting the left side ports. There are two sides internally so the left side may be not be responding. It could be something with the embedded controller or a hardware issue. Support has the tools and steps to help you work through what is the issue.

On a side note; I thought almost all iPhone updates were over WiFi or cellular. Was there a reason to plug it into the laptop to update it or was it to sync it like what iTunes used to do years ago?

I was updating a friend’s device to the latest update iOS 18 because their device didn’t have enough storage to do so. :confused:

I’ve had a situation in the past where some or all of USB-C ports of a computer disabled themselves after being connected to a bad power source. This doesn’t seem to be the case here, but just in case it might be useful, you could try physically disconnecting the battery from the motherboard and leaving it like that for 24 hours.

Also not sure if the procedure for fully resetting the motherboard is still relevant for the motherboards without RTC battery, and how to do it.

1 Like

I’ve already tried removing the battery and pressing the power button for 30 seconds to discharge the motherboard. It didn’t fix anything unfortunately.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that! Wish you a quick and simple resolution to this!

After a while of back and fourth trough support they sent my ticket to staff and they said that response times would be 1-2 days but its been 5 business days since my last response and they haven’t responded yet. Is this normal or should I start a new ticket?

Judging by this big thread, some people get good response times, some less so. Do you have the ability to ping the existing ticket?

They just replied and they said they’re sending a new mainboard, so I’m good now thanks.

1 Like