High Battery Drain During Suspend (Windows edition)

Fyi, I have measured the DP, HDMI and USB-A dongles with a USB-C Voltmeter on my 12th gen(no idea how accurate the measurements are but I would expect the magnitude to at least be correct).
So I have the voltmeter plugged into the C-module and then the ones under test.

USB-A, as expected has no power draw by itself. As per the USB-C spec, the dongle only signals a legacy port (with a resistor), which leads the USB-C port to put 5V on the Vbus lines, which on USB-C ports remain dead until you plug in a device. No power draw, as there is nothing attached to Vbus. So if that causes higher power consumption for Framework it should be sth. like a driver issue or an issue of the voltage regulators powering it being inefficient at it.

The DP dongle shows a power draw of 0.005W, after shortly drawing 0.06W.
The HDMI dongle shows a draw of 0.07W after a second or so. It started out with 0.1 I believe. Both seem wasteful, as the dongles should do nothing when the FW is sleeping and nothing is connected, but low enough themselves so that there would have to be some other cause on the mainboard or in SW.

2 Likes

Thank you for getting the detail and laying out the issue clearly :slight_smile:

Holy… my FW just went to hibernate after 1h50 with the HDMI module in. Shows High Definition Audio as the culprit FX device and basically no HW sleep at all after I plugged the dongle in (this was after the FW went to sleep).

Now reconfirming without reboot and all USB-C again…

To my understanding (base on what I see with my 11th gen unit), the cards themselves don’t draw a whole lot, if anything…but it’s something that the existence of the card that triggers some internal power draw within the laptop.

3 Likes

Yeah, it seems to trigger wake timers during sleep. Because of this I am hopefuly this problem can be fixed via software/firmware!

2 Likes

Fingers crossed.

The 12th gen board seems to have this situation under control:

1 Like

After a reboot, the audio driver issues are gone and I am seeing a consumption of 519mW. But the histogram looks pretty much identical to before with the ~450mW numbers.

Can you measure the input change into the laptop when testing the dongles? I measured 11th gen dongles this way could be nice to compare.

What exactly do you mean? with the laptop plugged into external power?
I find those readings very much worthless, because the device rarely even enters actual sleep.

I have now spent a while looking at HWInfos battery discharge rate averages while the device is idling. And those seem to still fluctuate a lot because windows keeps on doing things in the background, even on battery.
But overall I would estimate the HDMI dongle causing about 200-300mW of additional power consumption, while DP and USB-A seem to make no difference (while the notebook is still on, screen on, just idling).

2.5W is basically as low as mine gets and I have never seen as little of a power draw when the HDMI dongle was attached.

1 Like

Using a USB tester in line with the USBC power cable to see the input power used by the system.
I believe this is an accurate way of testing the impact of adding cards on the system given you are not also charging.

I was suggesting to use the same method of testing so the results can be compared directly.

On 11th gen while powered on:

~0.3W HDMI
~0.4W USB A

~0.8W 2x USBA
~0.7W HDMI + USBA
~1.15W HDMI + 2x USBA

In standby:

~0.2W HDMI
~0.4W USBA
~0.75W HDMI + USBA
~0.8W 2xUSBA
~1.15W HDMI + 2xUSBA

Edit: I redid tests with battery disconnected.

1 Like

I just realised something about the fingerprint reader when the laptop is in sleep / suspend with Windows.

The fingerprint reader / scanner seems to be powered on when the laptop is in sleep…because if I just place my finger on the scanner, without ‘pressing down’ on the power button, it will wake the system and authenticate to Windows.

Is there a possible option that I can flip / toggle such that the fingerprint reader doesn’t recieve power when the laptop is in sleep / suspend mode?

i.e. I only want the power button to act as a power button, and an LED indicator during sleep.

1 Like

I am using 12gen, August batch, i5, Windows 11.
I already set the battery charge limit to 80%.
I just received my laptop. Yesterday, I put it to hibernate at 5 PM.
This morning, I start the laptop at 10 AM (after 17 hours), and the battery dropped from 80% to 60%.
Is it normal?

Well it may be normal in the sense that given all the finer details it could be expected, but not desirable or common.

You can get Windows to report on what is using the power and maybe find a solution.

This is an old topic base on a 11th gen setup started a year ago.

It’s a lot read, have you read it all yet you may find some guides as to what the issue was for others and apply that to your problem?

I tried another day, the same, doing hibernation, waiting 17 hours.
This time, only drop from 81%(even though set limit to 80%, after charge, it shows 81%) to 80%.

Really mysterious!!

Thanks, I will monitor it. If it starts to drop a lot again, I will spend some time reading this topic. Otherwise, I will skip this topic and focus on more meaningful thing to do, rather than fixing a laptop …
Hope framework laptop could become more and more robust, we can really enjoy it rather than enjoy fixing it, although fixing it is fun too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Data points:

• Sept 9, 2022: I tried to just close the lid, stay overnight, and open it after 12 hours.
    Firstly, the laptop goes to sleep then goes to hibernate.
    The battery dropped from 81% to 75%.
  • Sept 10, 2022: In the same setting, hibernate, after 12 hours, from 81% drop to 79%.
  • Sept 11, 2022: In the same setting, hibernate, after 14 hours, from 81% drop to 78%

Yes > I set to 78 and get 79 :slight_smile:

Using device manager, you can right click on the fingerprint entry, and then under power management(?) make sure to say that Windows can power off the device, and that it is not permitted to wake the system from sleep. That should allow Windows to turn it off when in standby.

Just test it out, and see if it fixes the problem.

That option is already checked by default.

1 Like

I’ve been underclocking this laptop now to 2.2GHz to see if it makes a difference to battery drain at all in general use (just using Word).

To be honest it still burns through battery at like 1% a minute. Never had such a thirsty laptop.

At that rate, it’s an indication that you have some tasks / processes running in the background.

Well yes, very hard not to in Windows. Always at least 60+ things running in the background. I don’t think Google Drive/Firefox and Word at the same time is over the top however.

Not doing 4k transcoding with some Lightroom batch processing in the background. :grinning: