How can I diagnose my broken laptop & a PSA

Sigh…

Firstly, the warning part is for you all who just plonk your laptop into any bag you can find. I popped mine into this old, cheapo, sling bag I found in my house of some cousin or something. Was carrying a lot of stuff & it slipped off my shoulder & bonked on the ground. Don’t do that. I always held it firmly but this ONE time I forgot, whoosh…sigh…makes one feel bad.

I opened it & straightened the corners a little bit as shown in the first picture. I thought everything was okay BUT.

1. The webcam simply popped off when I removed the bezel. The module’s broken & I don’t have soldering know-how to fix it.
  2. The screen shows 2 splotches on the top right. Will this grow? Should I change it now or leave it for way later. I think I can survive with it…I think (never faced this issue before).
  3. Nasty gashes on the top cover but I can ignore these. Problem is it really scratches my wrist horribly every single time I try to use it.
  4. The bottom panel is bent up as well. This means there is always a small bit of it open.
  5. What else? What else should I check for to make sure it is okay?

Sigh…it hasn’t even finished 1 full year yet so still under warranty though of course that doesn’t count…it just makes it sadder.

I used my previous laptop for almost 11 years so it makes sense to spend on it, I guess.

Since I would like to make it all ship together, I need your inputs, guys.

Need some help. How & what I do to check anything else wrong with the laptop?

Appreciate any help you can sendmy way since I am not THAT technically inclined.

Splotches seem to be from pressure on the screen. Try removing the bezel and/or seeing if theres a dent in the top cover that is pressing onto the screen and distorting it. It it gets pushed further such as if something is stuck between the bezel and lower case or you push down too hard, it could cause a crack or permanent damage to the display

2 Likes

Picture?
If you mean, the actual camera sensor came off. Most people wouldn’t have the tools to fix that. I believe its a ball grid array.
Replacement webcame module, Framework | Webcam Module

1 Like

Thats what I had thought…so I unscrewed the screen & checked just now.
No dents.
Nothing on top or underneath it pressing on the screen.
Kind of surprised. I forgot about this pressing on the screen thingy but when I checked, it turned out to be nothing.

Sorry mate, didn’t keep but I think you are right.

If the laptop is working and the dent/bend in the front is a problem, I would just put a bit of masking tape over it to smooth it out a bit.
It looks like it had a big bash. I put my laptop in a padded sleeve and then put it in a backpack, so save it if I drop the backpack and also saves it getting wet if something leaks.

1 Like

Yup, I agree.
Can you share what sleeve you got?

Sorry, I don’t know what sleave it is. It came with a backpack I had about 10 years ago, and as backpacks have worn out, I have just kept the sleave.

1 Like

Oh it was with the backpack. Gotcha.

Contact support?

1 Like

I will.
Just didn’t want to miss anything.
:blush: