How's everyone's [55Wh] battery health and wear looking?

The ‘algorithm’ for calculating begs some questions.

Up until Dec 2023 the wear was averaging 4%after some 87 cycles, and some 6 hours use per day, plugged in and charged to 78%

Since Jan 2nd, given my lack of taking daily records and not using plugged in quite so consistently, the wear has dramatically increased.

The cycles are at 91 and the wear at 8.9% as of 10am today.
EDIT:
And 20 min later wear shows as 11.7%, with no other changes ??
I will update with a graph soon.
UPDATE:
OK Here is an updated graph. The graph logs the lowest value for any day, which since Dec 2023 is sporadic.
For more detail see: http://217.155.51.23/newdevices/framework/battery/jan24.php

That is interesting. I’ve always wondered exactly how sophisticated the indicators and models are between battery circuitry and the capacity number. You could imagine all kinds of hardware or software flukes or a value passing some threshold in some stairsteppy representation of a curve.

I have thought of contacting support to say ’ What is going on? ’

How is the low charge assessed when the computer shuts down is it due to the percentage shown or the actual voltage.

If the voltage then I can understand it’s a safety measure to ensure the battery doesn’t ‘die’ but
if the charge level then this has to be calculated. A poor calculation, as with the wear, could mean the battery charge level is actually higher leading to an apparent wear etc.

Thanks James, for the input.

The level of charge is related closely to the voltage and once self powered off due to low charge, the computer can be powered on again after some time for the battery to recover.

But the level of charge is more than just the voltage, so wear ??

There is a thing called coulomb counting which in theory measures the current flow over time and accumulates the ‘coulombs’

That ‘should’ give an indication of wear if the battery algorithm knows the top and bottom end of voltages and then how much power is used to go from 0 to 100. Zero being either a charge level of maybe 5v or a battery voltage of maybe 14V

For fear of going off-topic, I’d like to provide a point of reference.
I’ve been using AccuBattery on my current phone since I got it (late June 2022 I think) and I’ve been watching the battery health estimates and how much they can swing; my experience with the Framework battery isn’t excessively different.

AccuBattery disregards severe outlying values, which our approaches to getting the wear values doesn’t particularly seem to.

For your battery suddenly wearing more, Amoun, it’s possible that you’re experiencing something like an S-curve, which I remember seeing materials implying happens in wear for certain types of Lithium-Ion batteries – suddenly fall off a cliff and it near-plateaus for a while, then to become much worse quickly further down the line, but probably when the battery’s capacity is already greatly diminished.

This is very much conjecture.

Was that our, your, meaning me :slight_smile: I don’t think you are topic at all. Understanding battery ‘wear’ is, as you point out, more than just reading data and perspective is hugely important.

Though I have not heard of the term S-curve I am aware of sudden changes and plateau’s.

You may not have seen my graphs clearly, which has a link and a few examples. The data I provided wasn’t mean to state what the battery wear was/is but how it appears.

Note that the graphs only show the lowest of any day so do not show the 11.7% I had four days ago as it dropped to 7.5 at one point.

Here’s a graph of all the low points from the start of me keeping records, and as you say, peaks and troughs and plateaus are evident.

If you will, at a link to where that S-curve is discussed. Thank you for your time.

My concern is how the ‘average’ compares to that expected defined by specs.

The point of interest/concern is that the average lately is well over 6% which equates to more like 300 cycles not 90 but only another year or two will give me more indications of what is more likely.

All the best

I got my 13" last november, HWiNFO says 89 cycles and 14.5% wear :sob:

I got my 11 in the Fall of 2021. 94.5% still there, so wear has been ok with the 55 battery. Bought a 61Wh for the future when this one goes.

1 Like

That’s great. Mine arrived Feb 2022 and today wear is at 93.5%

What is of ‘concern’ is that I haven’t cycled it 100 times in two years, which would equate to about 7% per 100 or 70% in 1000,

Noting the spec 20% in 1000 that is a headache.

So I wonder what your charging regime is.

Also it recently Dec 23 had stabilised at well less than 4% and then jumped to just under 8%

Thanks for the update.

I have cycled it approximately 100 times too overall. But according to the posts I have read, the 11 is battery hungry. Also I only get around 4 hours on average of use on it. I got far better on my old Dell Latitude. I carry this laptop around to various nonprofits in South Brooklyn, but only a couple of times a week as I do not enjoy the subways. The commute from home takes over 2 hours a day.

I think I shall get a power bank to cover the extra hours when I may be away from a power plug.

1 Like

One year and 70 cycles update, wear is essentially the same, 90.1% down from 90.3%.

energy-full:         49.5572 Wh
    energy-full-design:  55.0088 Wh
    energy-rate:         0 W
    voltage:             16.402 V
    charge-cycles:       176
    percentage:          78%
    capacity:            90.0896%

I did a full cycle before taking the reading and it did improve capacity from 89%. Laptop spends most of it’s time plugged in at 80% charge limit.

Edit: another full cycle later

energy-full:         48.3406 Wh
    energy-rate:         4.4352 W
    voltage:             17.029 V
    charge-cycles:       177
    time to empty:       10.8 hours
    percentage:          99%
    capacity:            87.8779%
1 Like

I do wonder how they get and present 20% after 1000 cycles or 2% after 100 ???

i’ve had my framework 13 for two weeks now and it already shows a wear level of 8,7%. I may have charged it about 7 times and keep the battery at a maximun of 75%. Is battery faulty?

Mine’s at 82.4% (purchased Feb 2022 - Batch 4 iirc).

This has served as my main laptop during my college and is still serving great.

Also, here’s inxi’s output:

  ~ >>> battery
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 14.3 Wh (31.6%) condition: 45.3/55.0 Wh (82.4%) volts: 14.8 min: 15.4 model: NVT Framewo 
           type: Li-ion serial: 0162 status: Discharging cycles: 168 

Did anyone ever claim the degradation was linear?

No and I can’t imagine it is, but I do image a) it’s fairly linear after a few dozens cycles and b) as the capacity drops a cycle will get shorter. again - fairly linearly. No doubt some exponentially tweaked one.

From my experience with lithium batteries it’s more like a lot initially and then tapers off and then a lot later a lot again, kinda s-curve ish. But anyway I’d be very careful extrapolating.

1 Like

I’m sitting at just over 200 cycles and a wear level of 6%. Battery is about 2.5 years old (Batch 4 11th gen Intel). I mostly use it as a mobile workstation when I’m away from the office, maybe a couple hours a day 2-4 times a week, otherwise it’s plugged in intermittently set to 80% battery charge threshold, with the charge threshold disabled when I’m traveling. Can’t really complain with how it’s held up in my use case.

1 Like
    energy-rate:         0 W
    voltage:             17.336 V
    charge-cycles:       26
    capacity:            86.0582%

i guess not bad for a 2 year old laptop that i have used wildly and continuously. 26 cycles are a lie, it definitely reset after the mobo upgrade.

Just handed my 2021 batch 5 i5 off to a friend. Did a full battery cycle just to check everything out before it went to it’s new owner.

charge_full was 3042 , or ~47Wh / 55Wh available, ~85% of original capacity

After ~27 months in service, many partial but very few full cycles, 100 percent charge limit at first until BIOS allowed lower, 60 percent most of the time at that.

I think it needs to be restated that the wear is not exactly linear, and often measured incorrectly by the laptop!