How's everyone's [55Wh] battery health and wear looking?

Shouldn’t have any impact at all since laptop is running off AC power, but battery wear readouts are weird.

The reading after being plugged in are different

• Battery at 69% Wear at 7.6%
  • Switched off and unplugged.
    Next morning 9 hours later
  • Plug and note red flashing light
  • Switch on
  • Wait 5 minutes light stops flashing
  • Check Battery 70% Wear at 6.7%

???

Just chiming back here after setting my battery charge limit to 100% (from its usual 60%) and using the laptop off battery a bit more. I maybe let it discharge all the way once, and at least from 100 to ~3% another time yesterday.

So it used to be at 85%; 9 days ago 87.43%; and after doing the above (really just letting it charge to 100% and discharge all the way to 0%), it’s now reported at 89.4177%.

So I’ve managed to “gain back” 4-5%. If that’s accurate, then ~10% of battery wear in 8 months actually seems okay. And I was using the laptop before the battery charge threshold/limit was available in the BIOS. Even though my laptop has been plugged in most of the time; but also it’s been on 24/7 most of the time too.

Thanks @OxyMagnesium again, I’m a bit less concerned now, and the battery replacements are direct from Framework and seem fairly priced! Hopefully we get a way to reuse old batteries – I’ve been dreaming about some 3D-printable enclosure that we can put old batteries in to make our own battery packs to charge the laptop and/or other devices.

4 Likes

I can confirm that I am seeing the same behavior as @Michael_Wu. For me, it took a lot longer for the wear to reduce to that level, but the wear percentage changes are very similar. So it seems that this is indeed a wear calculation issue with the battery rather than abnormal physical degradation, which is definitely good. It’s still annoying because a higher (even miscalculated) wear value will cause the battery to charge to a lower level overall, but it’s honestly not a super big deal for me. Thanks a lot to everyone who helped out with this.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that is true.

• The ‘wear’ level is based upon time used, which roughly relates to the amperage used. This is calculated and is open to quite a variance.
  • The charging is down to the battery voltage which only stops at a particular voltage. So even a ‘worn’ battery will charge to the same voltage but will get there quickly if it really has degarded.

I’m pretty sure the charging algorithm only checks the voltage to decide what to supply. The real battery state ‘wear’ feeds back info on what the voltage is to reduce is slowly as the battery charges and the wear value has nothing to do with the charging voltage.

OOTB I was at 98.8% today using 75% limit (I did a full discharge/cycle before checking) I’m down to 95.3% after ~3 months. I would expect the health to stabilise however and not see 20% drop by years end.

It would be nice to be able to see cycle counts and temperature, perhaps this can be made available?

Hi.

Given the variable wear figures I have, which seemed to correalte to the charging maximum I decised to let the laptop run down and switch off. I then plugged it in and left it all night to charge to 100% for some 8 hours.

• I had originally set the level to 90% and as above and had 3.6%
  • After a couple of months I set it to 78% and the wear level went up to 7.8%
  • One day it went down from 7.6% to 6.7% overnight
  • Today at 100% overnight it now reads 5.8%

Will keep monitoring.

By the way I note the red light is flashing at 100% :slight_smile:
Unplugging power and pluggin in again light goes to steady white.?

Will run plugged in at 100% for the day and see what readings are tonight.

Update: Evening
Ran down to 70% and set charge limit back to 78%

Update: Next evening
Wear down from 5.8% to 5.6%

UPDATE:
5 days later it is down to 4.9% ???

One thing that seems to have had an effect was allowing the laptop to run down and switch off and then charging to 100%. Will do the same on the 1st of next month too.

I received my Framework DIY laptop a couple of days ago and when I ran HWInfo64 I noticed that the battery had 2.2% wear leaving it at about 54WHrs rather than 55WHrs. I was just curious if anyone else noticed if their Framework laptops had wear already on the battery?

This is perfectly fine, the battery comes with a certain amount of wear (to my knowledge around 2-4% or so).

Mine is batch 4 and shows 88% or 84%. I think it is 45Wh instead of 55Wh. I think that is how it was when I got it. Is this not normal?

Hi Joshua.

What are you using to measure the capacity and have you done a full cycle to set the parameters.

i.e. Run on battery until the laptop switches off, then charge to 100%.

I had initially set my max charge to 90% and didn’t do a full cycle.

In win 11 using powercfg /batteryreport I can, by calculation, that the reported battery wear is 100 minus the reports Full Charge Capacity / Design Capacity, which align with those from HWiNFO64

Wear percentage

28th Feb
At start this was 3.4%
A week later after it had improved to 2.9% but I hadn’t noticed
After 3 months it increased to 7.4%
4.5% wear in 3 months

June 1st I run the battery dead and charged to 100%
After a few days it stabilised around 4.9%
so 3% wear in 3 months

June 11th:

• Allowed to run down, switched itself off with capacity around 5.6%. Waited 20 min switched back on, ran for another 30 min and switched of with capacity at 2.8%.
  • Charged to 100% and run whilst plugged in for an hour: wear at 5.6%
  • 12 hours later after no use down to 5.5%
  • Another 24 hours later after no use down to 5.4%

June 22nd 6 days later it is down to 4.8% So a loss of
1.4% wear from beginning or 1.9% from best resording

June 27th discharged battery

June 28th Charged battery to 100% At the end of charge the wear was 6.1% **
12h later** used whilst plugged in wear is 5.1%
4 months old

July 1st wear records as 5.5%
July 6th wear records as 5.6%
July 10th wear records as 5.3%

Given the initail wear of 3.4% this equates to only 1.9% in 124 days or about 5.6% in a year

Am going to keep a record of cycles now we have the 3.09 BIOS

July > 45

3 Likes

Batch 8 just over 3 months use and running Ubuntu 22.04, power consumption management by “LTP 1.5”. charge limit set to 80% and “Power Statistics” is now showing around 2% wear, this value tends to range between 97.8% to 98.2% capacity not sure why maybe down to ambient/battery temperature.
The laptop will run for around 6hr on the battery.

1 Like

Hey Amoun,
I am using KDE’s InfoCenter.
I will try doing a full cycle.

1 Like

I’m going to another today/tonight/tomorrow. I was going to wait for a month but as I see the changes I’m going to see what happens after a full cycle ten days later :slight_smile:

Batch 2 with only 4% lost on battery life.

1 Like

I did a full charge and KDE Info center reports my battery as 46Wh as a full charge out of 55Wh. It shows a 86% battery capacity. Maybe I got a bad battery?

So when did you get the laptop and I note reports that there was significant power drain early on with a USB A port installed.

I have a USB A for ‘emergencies’ but never used it and I have no battery drain.

Since my first note of 7.4% wear in the first two to three months I now use it plugged in most of the time and the wear has ‘decreased’ ???

So you have a 14% wear.

Using windows I have a record of what it was like to start with and that says I started with a 97% of nominal battery capacity.

I notice that after a full charge the wear appears to reduce for a while.

I got my laptop in October

1 Like

Is there any way using Linux that you have a record of the state of the battery when you received it?