I have a few questions for which I need an answer before buying a laptop

Hello there.

I hope my topic won’t be going against
any community guidelines that I would have missed.

Here’s a list of questions I’m thinking of and for which I’d be glad to have an answer before buying a laptop 13/arm ryzen.

First, I’m in Taiwan for vacations and was wondering whether I could order a laptop and get it delivered in a relay, like a sort of amazon relay perhaps ?

Second, if I decide not to mount it directly bit wait untill I get back home, am I allowed to carry it as is on a plane ?

Thirdly, do I need to buy thermal paste ?

Lastly, I’m thinking on booting debian, are there any counter opinions on that decision?

Thanks in advance

You just need to be ready to upgrade the kernel, GPU firmware and power profiles daemon software manually.

If you’re not comfortable doing this manually, you should use one of the supported distros like Fedora instead.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You don’t say where you are on holiday from nor what relay you were imagining.

The answer as such is no.

There is no freight forwarding option outside of the EU and any discussion towards achieving such are banned on this forum…

• What you may be able to do is to use your home address and a bank card registered to that country if it is one of Framework’s supported countries.

• The next option is to have friend or family member who lives in a supported country buy it and give it you later.

Of course in either of the above once a ‘legitimate’ purchase has been made you can ship it anywhere, within reason.

So of course the first question is, what is your home country and then is that one supported by Framwork?

The CPU is pre-installed and unless you plan to remove it for some reason, you will not need thermal paste.

There are a couple of threads on this Framework forum that discuss the use of Phase Change pads and Liquid Metal as alternatives to the standard paste. I have gained the impression that these options need only be considered if you are running CPU-intensive applications most of the time.

In my personal experience, the stock cooling on my i7-1260P FW13 is adequate for concurrently running office applications and 2-3 VMs under Virtual Box. YMMV.

Dino

1 Like

From experience, getting replacement parts is the most frustrating thing when the device is relocated to an unsupported country, even though it was originally bought with genuine legitimacy (no work around) and used in a supported country. People get relocated. And even buying a new battery gets incredibly difficult let alone dealing with warranty issues. Even with family and friends in a supported country, items like batteries cannot be easily shipped as a consumer.

1 Like