I will buy the Framework laptop when a DVORAK keyboard is available

Hey all :wave:
For the ones in need of a Dvorak keyboard, have you considered learning to touch type? :slight_smile:

I’m using a Dvorak US layout for more than 10 years and as I directly learned it by touch typing, I just buy laptops with a standard QWERTY keyboard.

That way I’m never stuck with vendors that don’t provide custom keyboards. And icing on the cake, my colleagues can pair-program on my laptop, I just need to switch back to the QWERTY layout.

1 Like

Same here, except with Colemak.

That being said, I’d like to try out Colemak-DH but, for proper key arrangement, it requires the ISO standard type of keyboard that isn’t sold in North America (where I’m located) where there’s an additional key to the lower-left of “A” that is directly to the right of the left shift.

https://colemakmods.github.io/mod-dh/

So a Colemak-DH ISO standard physical keyboard would be swell!

(you can technically use Colemak-DH on a North American-style ANSI keyboard but that variant moves the “Z” key to where “B” is located and, as someone that uses Ctrl+Z quite often, I’d prefer to not make that specific keyboard shortcut a pain to use - especially since I have small hands)

(it is slightly amusing though that, as shown by “Onboard” using the Colemak-DH ISO on my ANSI keyboard does result in two backslash keys)

1 Like

Considering that keycaps can be re-arranged, it would probably be efficient to simply sell the two bumped keycaps for a given layout (U & H for Dvorak, etc.) and flat F & J keycaps as opposed to an entire keyboard. And for more popular layouts such as Dvorak, whole keyboards for those who don’t want to risk it with their keycaps would also be good :slight_smile:

I actually second this, with QMK people can get blank keyboards and reprogram them.

1 Like