I will buy the Framework laptop when a DVORAK keyboard is available

Hey all :wave:
For the ones in need of a Dvorak keyboard, have you considered learning to touch type? :slight_smile:

Iā€™m using a Dvorak US layout for more than 10 years and as I directly learned it by touch typing, I just buy laptops with a standard QWERTY keyboard.

That way Iā€™m never stuck with vendors that donā€™t provide custom keyboards. And icing on the cake, my colleagues can pair-program on my laptop, I just need to switch back to the QWERTY layout.

2 Likes

Same here, except with Colemak.

That being said, Iā€™d like to try out Colemak-DH but, for proper key arrangement, it requires the ISO standard type of keyboard that isnā€™t sold in North America (where Iā€™m located) where thereā€™s an additional key to the lower-left of ā€œAā€ that is directly to the right of the left shift.

https://colemakmods.github.io/mod-dh/

So a Colemak-DH ISO standard physical keyboard would be swell!

(you can technically use Colemak-DH on a North American-style ANSI keyboard but that variant moves the ā€œZā€ key to where ā€œBā€ is located and, as someone that uses Ctrl+Z quite often, Iā€™d prefer to not make that specific keyboard shortcut a pain to use - especially since I have small hands)

(it is slightly amusing though that, as shown by ā€œOnboardā€ using the Colemak-DH ISO on my ANSI keyboard does result in two backslash keys)

1 Like

Considering that keycaps can be re-arranged, it would probably be efficient to simply sell the two bumped keycaps for a given layout (U & H for Dvorak, etc.) and flat F & J keycaps as opposed to an entire keyboard. And for more popular layouts such as Dvorak, whole keyboards for those who donā€™t want to risk it with their keycaps would also be good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually second this, with QMK people can get blank keyboards and reprogram them.

1 Like

I just pre-ordered a Framework 16. I intend to rearrange its keycaps into the Dvorak layout, as I did to my MacBook Proā€™s keyboard, but I would really love it if I could buy unpipped F and J keycaps and pipped U and H keycaps to make the conversion fully bespoke. Surely that canā€™t be a huge manufacturing ask, can it?

Hi and welcome

Yes it clearly is.

Setting up the manufacture of a few items here and there and then everywhere. Where would it stop. The people to design and implement ~ the storage of all the parts of this anfd that and everything.

Then thereā€™s the delivery.

• Sending the little items ~packing postage at what cost financially to the buyer and environmentaly to send you 4 little bits of palstic.
  • Setting up a new keyboard would make more sense but Iā€™m sure that has been considered

Of course there are businesses that will make the keys for you.

However the keys are not designed to be user replaceable so you would void the warrantee so clearly Framework are not going to provide the keycaps.

You can buy a palin keybioard and etch whatever you like etc.

Iā€™m not asking for the ability to order custom keycaps with arbitrary graphics on them. Iā€™m not even asking for a predefined set of new graphics. I am literally only asking for the same graphics as are already being screened onto keycaps at the scale of millions, the only difference being which batch of plastic parts (pipped or unpipped) get dumped into the machine before starting a run with ā€œFā€ selected as the graphic to print, etc. Given the relatively lower demand for these parts, probably one manufacturing run of them would keep the storeā€™s inventory stocked for years to come.

You might have a point about storage of inventory, although even 1000 keycaps wouldnā€™t really take up much space on a shelf. Besides, Framework have already stated their goal of eventually producing every keyboard layout in existence, so theyā€™re going to have to do a run of unpipped F and J keys eventually.

Oh, please. The four keycaps can be mailed in a recycled paper padded envelope. Or if ordered when ordering a Framework laptop, then four extra keycaps would be a completely negligible addition to throw into the box.

Iā€™d be interested in that, if they could achieve an exact aesthetic and tactile match.

What? They are just clipped on with plastic clips. They pop right off. Are you telling me that Framework would have us throw away an entire keyboard when the only thing wrong with it is that someoneā€™s toddler dropped a toy on it and cracked/chipped a plastic keycap? That wouldnā€™t at all be in keeping with their mission of producing a user-repairable product with minimal environmental impact.

I am also considering that option, but I donā€™t have the skills or equipment to screen or engrave graphics onto blank keycaps, and I donā€™t want to use stickers, as I dislike the feel.

Another idea I am considering is to buy both a US English keyboard module and a blank keyboard module and just swap all the letter and punctuation keycaps on the former out for blank keycaps from the latter, but Iā€™d really rather have the keycaps labeled, as it helps when hunting for a keyboard shortcut with one hand or typing my password upside-down, etc. (I am very happy that I rearranged all the keycaps on my MacBook Pro that I am soon to replace with a Framework, but the pips on the repositioned ā€œFā€ and ā€œJā€ keys look silly, thus my wish for a conversion kit.)

All that recycling does nothing and just adds to the environmental cost.

Else

Then of course you have the brave

But remember they are not design to be removed so bang goes the warrantte if you have one.

And as for the environment, well thatā€™s a long gone. Whatā€™s a few more keys, plastic bags. recycling factories and slave labour all in a days work.

:om:
:wheel_of_dharma:

@amoun, you seem to have an axe to grind. I kind of wonder why youā€™re even here if you hate DIY so much.

Iā€™m not concerned about rearranging keycaps. As I said, I did it to my old MacBook Pro, which uses essentially the same plastic scissor mechanisms. 33 keycaps popped off and reattached to convert from QWERTY to Dvorak. 0 plastic bits broken. Took about half an hour. All you have to know is which edge of the keycap seats vertically and which edge slides horizontally. A quick search on YouTube will answer that question. (You answered it for the Framework keyboard indirectly with the video in one of the posts you quoted.) So okay, maybe the keycaps are not designed to be user-replaceable, but they are. Most consumer products are not designed to be repairable, but many of them are nonetheless.

Exactly so why would Framework make them.

You seem to have misunderstood what I ā€˜saidā€™ It was about asking Framework to provide, not any DIY aspect, though I provided links to otherā€™s attempts, the last link showing the success.

Note my response was to ā€œSurely that canā€™t be a huge manufacturing askā€ not you or anyone doing things themselves.

DIY ~ Do It Yourself

As fas as hate goes in what garden did you DTU.

You and others are free to change the keys tops, this is about asking Framework to assist in doing something they donā€™t want to do.

DIY is not asking Framework to make Keyboards and Key caps to suit every demand. Itā€™s their business and DIY is the individualā€™s.

Take care. If your in the UK come visit :slight_smile:

As far as axes go, I have quite a few. I manage 40 acres of land for fuel and food, you know DIY and DTU stuff. Computers thatā€™s mainly work for the short days and long nights.

Today I performed this rearrangement of my new Laptop 16 keyboard to the Dvorak layout without incident. I do understand why Framework warn against attempting this, as perhaps burlier human beings might not employ the delicate touch necessary to do this without breaking anything, but if you exercise all due care, itā€™s really quite a doable modification.

I have posted a video to YouTube for anyone curious what the process looks like. It does appear as though Iā€™m straining a lot to pop the keycap off, but thatā€™s because I didnā€™t notice I was using the wrong side of the spudger. The shorter side works better. (Itā€™s hard to see well when thereā€™s a camera between your face and the work piece.) When using the shorter side, the keycaps come off more easily and in two steps, as the two clips detach individually rather than simultaneously as they did in my video.

Itā€™s just really such a shame that Framework wonā€™t sell pipped U and H keys and unpipped F and J keys, as that would make this mod truly bespoke.

1 Like