I will buy the Framework laptop when a DVORAK keyboard is available

That is all. Long have I applied acrylic pants to my keyboards and done without backlighting. I hope Framework will be my escape from that.

6 Likes

I already purchased one, but major +1. Dvorak is amazing and increases typing speed by a lot.

Have you considered a keycap puller?

1 Like

A Dvorak keyboard module is on our roadmap. The keyboard is replaceable, so you can swap at any point.

17 Likes

same here but looking for colemak instead

5 Likes

Workman for me. I know the keyboard will be swapable (I’m planning on grabbing one of the blank ones personally), but will it be possible to swap the keycaps on the initial keyboard? I know on some low profile keyboards that’s not really a thing you can do, or if you can it’s highly likely that you’ll break the switch trying to remove the cap.

2 Likes

I think that this post requesting a QMK configurable keyboard for the Framework Laptop might tie into this topic nicely: A QMK configurable keyboard

5 Likes

Great news! Do you also think about other layout? Like bépo (french dvorak)?

3 Likes

In general as we’re able to continue growing the community of people using Framework Laptops, it will get easier for us to develop and manufacture new layouts. We basically need to be able to sell a few hundred of any one design for it to work out.

12 Likes

@nrp Is there a way to be informed when a desired layout is available? Iʼll get a bépo keyboard as soon as possible.

@nrp it would be great to get an ortholinear option in the future as well, perhaps even with a split spacebar.

6 Likes

@Isaac_Lyons That would be too convenient, lol. Seriously though, I would absolutely buy into an ortho keyboard for my framework laptop if a grid option were available.

@nrp Is the Dvorak keyboard a hard-wired kb or is it just using the Dvorak keycap layout?

As it is, I’m currently using the clear keyboard and loving the hell out of it! =D

I would love a Thinkpad-style keyboard with dedicated page up/dn, home/end, ins/del, and volume keys. Smaller touchpad and physical mouse buttons would be really sweet too!

It might be easier just to do a blank keyboard module. If people are using exotic keyboard layouts presumably they are touch-typing.

They already have that, though.

1 Like

I did wonder, even as I typed it! Problem solved, then :smiley:

Even better: they have a blank black, and they have a transparent blank. So not just one, but two options! :smiley:

2 Likes

I can’t +1 this enough! Dvorak is the keyboard layout for professionals, it’s shocking how much of a speed boost you can get by using Dvorak vs QWERTY, even if you’re a proficient QWERTY typist. I still plan to buy a Notebook later in the year, but knowing a DVORAK keyboard is in the works just gold plates the reasons I’ll buy into this line.

Isn’t it possible to a) rename the keys and reprogramme them.

A bit of a pain maybe, so I cans see a reason to wait if the general notion of the Framework is not important enough to support. :slight_smile:

Most OSes let you manually select a keyboard layout. So no, do t manually reprogram :slight_smile: get a stealth keyboard and set it to the layout you want! 10 minute project.

The only complication is if you require it be Dvorak AND backlit.