If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

I want to buy more stuff but not till postage costs reduce greatly.

If you want to buy a Framework get all the stuff you need that day! You’ll cry when you need to buy another single card!

1 Like

framework 13:

• port count (i’d have to use a dock for a lot of usage scenarios which is awkward if you’re not at a desk)
  • aspect ratio (3:2 is uncomfortably tall although i suppose i could adapt eventually)
  • the case is too shiny; i’d like a dark input cover at the least, although i know dbrand can help mitigate it, but it’s not ideal. are there some third party input cover manufacturers i’ve somehow missed?

framework 16:

• way too much mass for me to be able to move reliably. looks amazing otherwise in basically every single respect (aside from not seeing a dark trackpad section option? but again decals can probably mitigate that), but i’m too feeble for 2.1kg. i struggle with the 1.4kg unit i have right now sometimes as it is.

anyway, i really think i want one of these, and it seems likely i’ll get one despite what i mentioned, but these concerns are what’s keeping me from having already slammed the order button.

additional: i’ll miss having a touchscreen or at least built-in stylus support. usi is really nice to have available, although that works best with 360 degree hinging (which is another thing i’ll miss), but this stuff isn’t a blocker. just stuff i’ll lose in the transition

wishlist: i desperately miss having an 18mm pitch keyboard (WITH function and navigation keys) but nobody’s been selling me one of those on a decent laptop for ages anyway, so it’s not specifically keeping me from getting a framework. i just feel painfully underserved on that point, and seeing customizable hardware made me miss it even harder, since i can’t find evidence of any substitutes that provide that

Reasons why I haven’t ordered yet (despite being extremely interested in Framework for around 2 years now):

FW13,FW16:

• Because my current laptop still works fine. Almost 5 years old. Not gonna replace until it’s dead. :slight_smile:
  • The sorry state of the FW13 intel12 bios updates: the complete lack of security updates and unanswered questions about how long Framework guarantees to provide security updates for its devices. I don’t know if this is a dealbreaker for me or not. But it’s the only notable thing that makes me hesitate about buying a framework.
  • (Not a dealbreaker) I really wish the FW13 had a second M.2 slot. That’s my only gripe about the device itself. My current device is a 13-inch with only one RAM slot but two M.2 2280 slots, which for me personally would be preferable.

FW16:

• I dunno. I don’t play AAA games at max specs much, certainly not on-the-go. I think a FW13 would be enough. I’ll use an external monitor and external GPU like the GPD G1 if I want to get serious.

I’d ideally love it if there were Thunderbolt-5 capable devices (or whatever the USB equivalent will be) that support PCIE 4 for external GPUs by the time I buy, but we’ll see…

1 Like

I’m saving up for the price of my config. Once I have the right amount, I’m ordering it. Am looking forward to the world of FW.

I’m preparing for that darned college entrance exam.

1 Like

Well… I’m still waiting availability in my country :slight_smile: I hope it’s soon, I will need a new workstation in a somewhat short term… Like, February, or March.

I haven’t ordered a framework because I’m not going to place an order for a device for in the future, if they’d ship immediately with current gen cpus I’d order one of these.

All Framework Laptop 13 Intel 13th gen orders ship immediately, and as production ramps up on the Laptop 13 AMD it will eventually reach this point as well. The Framework Laptop 16 is still in preorder, but once it also releases and they have produced all the preorder batches it will also be available to ship immediately.

2 Likes

It is almost at that point now. It is only two to three weeks from ordering to delivery for the latest batches.

the next ‘generation’ of amd cpus is out, and it’s such a minute incremental benefit that framework has stated directly they have no intention to ship a product based on it.

4 Likes

When Did Raspberry Pi become the villain?
There are manufacturers dedicated to power bricks, power banks and cords, which literally thrived after smartphone manufactures stars to remove charger from phones

Buy third parties, they are much cheaper and you only need to buy once as PD is standardized.

Back on topic. I bought an FW13, what holding me back from buying an FW16 is that

1. I don’t like pre-orders, too long waiting time.
  2. The FW16 is still very new, the reliability may get better later.
  3. The dGPU is not energy-efficient and I’m waiting for a newer eGPU.
  4. The factory 180W power brick is not sufficient to charge the battery while gaming. In addition to that, according to my using the FW13 with 100W power brick that the laptop only pulls 2.72~2.94A instead of 3~5A even when gaming with a low battery, so I’m afraid of PD compatibility issues. Even if I managed to get a 48V5A240W power, the computer might only pull 48V2.8A or worse, 20V 2.8A. More data from others might be needed to find a compatible power brick

Edit: typo

the fw16 factory power supply is 180 W, not 140 W, and if you’re wanting an egpu then you wouldn’t be coming close to saturating it anyway, because the fw16 is only somewhat drawing from the battery when you fully saturate the cpu and dgpu. without the dgpu, it’s way more than enough.

though sadly nobody else is producing power delivery spec supplies at this wattage… framework had to be the ones to do it first because everyone else just shrugs and goes “let’s just make it proprietary” instead

1 Like

My bad, it was a typo

Is it possible to use some sort of probes to understand the proprietary protocol and make a proprietary to PD dongle or something?

not really. there’s too much different when there is a protocol… and sometimes it’s just a raw barrel jack. and generally in both cases, the voltages aren’t what power delivery chips are expecting, so you end up with ANOTHER voltage conversion, which is more loss.

anyway, we can reasonably expect someone to get around to making a 240W PD compliant supply at some point. if somehow nobody else manages, i’m sure framework will throw up their hands and commission that eventually. it’s kinda absurd that they had to be the first in this space, though.

1 Like

That’s super easy, just connect it to a bench power supply

… i thought your goal was to be able to get power delivery compliant output? i’m not sure how this fits.

1 Like

Sorry I went off topic. Well I guess you are right. Framework is probably going to make the first 240W PD power brick

The sales in Poland are in, well, guess I’m out of excuses now :slight_smile:

2 Likes