Inconsistent function row keys in marketing pics

I noticed that the main site and blog posts feature two slightly different keyboard layouts with a different set of function row keys. The first one is
esc | mute | vol- | vol+ | mute mic | play/pause | brightness- | brightness+ | project | wifi | bluetooth | prtscr | framework | del
and can be seen here:

the second is
esc | mute | vol- | vol+ | prev | play/pause | next | brightness- | brightness+ | project | airplane mode | prtscr | framework | del
as shown here:

Which layout should we expect to see on the final, shipped product?

5 Likes

Great catch! We actually switched to the second layout during development, because some of the functions in the first layout would have required driver development that we didn’t want to take on.

11 Likes

Cool–I definitely like having those dedicated media keys. And I’m assuming mic mute went away since there’s already a hardware switch for it up on the bezel.

1 Like

Yep, it seemed redundant, but also confusing since the button wouldn’t do anything if the switch has the mic turned off.

1 Like

I really like that the framework team here answers every question completely and transparent!

Brings you a lot of trust :wink:

What will the “framework” button do?

3 Likes

Right now it just opens your default browser and takes you to the Framework website. Further down our roadmap, we plan to develop a configuration and diagnostics tool which that button would be able to launch (with a configuration option to be able to remap the button to do what you want with it).

12 Likes

Maybe its just my laptop but, the framework button actually opens groove music on my device?

2 Likes

@FaultedBeing on a retail Windows 10 image (and actually in Linux too) it opens the default media player in the OS. On the pre-installed Windows 10 image on the pre-built systems we remap that to instead open your default browser to the Framework website. We’ll put up a knowledge base article on how to manually do that remapping, or you can also use PowerToys in Windows.

4 Likes

@nrp When will that be? Will that tutorial show us how to do something actually useful, like the macro that the pre-built systems have, or will the tutorial just be for stupid single-key remapping similar to how the PowerToys editor does? Will we be able to assign non-standard keys, like “Xinput_dpad_left”?

3 Likes

I think Pulover’s Macro Creator had a list of all the windows accepted “keys” including non-standard ones.

1 Like

Is this KB article available yet? If not, does anyone know how to manually apply this tweak on a DIY windows install?

4 Likes