Integrated UPS for Hot-swappable Battery

Yes.

On the other post.

Why would you want to discharge the main battery to zero and increase it’s degradation so intensely?

As I wondered I seem to have misunderstood what you want . . . .

I’m going for a small form factor build. In most cases I will have the PC plugged in and in this case I want to eliminate the bulk of the battery.

However, I do want the option of running without being plugged in. This is why I am going to design a solution for a detachable battery.

In the case that the connection ever fails on my detachable battery for a small amount of time or I accidentally bump the usb-c power cable, I want an internal UPS to ensure the pc doesn’t die.

This is why just using a usb-c power-bank would not work for me.

Hopefully this clearly explains my objective.

(I guess I’ve been posting too much, had to wait to make this reply)

1 Like

@Mptep, you have some highly confused thinking here. Your external UPS just needs to look like the standard charger, but have a battery in it that is charged from the mains or solar or geothermal or whatever your chosen prime power source is. It won’t run down the internal battery if you don’t make it look like it can be charged from the Framework.

This is just how any existing UPS works. You seem to be making an Everest sized mountain out of a molehill.

I’m agreeing with everyone else here. I don’t understand why you don’t just use a USB-C powerbank with both input and output ports.

I have an Anker Powerbank that can output up to 100W, can do power passthrough, and has 2 USB-C ports, one of which can be used for both input and output. If you want to have a hardware project, you could certainly hack apart a few identical powerbanks and figure out how to mount it to the bottom of the chassis of your laptop. Additionally, you won’t have to figure out how to safely charge and discharge your (I assume) lithium-based custom battery solution (which I didn’t see in any capacity of your diagram).

Additionally, the default charging behavior of the laptop would already support your desired use case.

• Have USB-C power bank → plug in to laptop. Laptop then charges/runs from battery bank.
  • Battery bank fully discharges → battery bank turns itself off and laptop runs from internal battery: call it a UPS if you prefer.
  • Unplug discharged battery bank and replace with fully charged battery bank → upon sensing voltage from charged battery bank, laptop automatically switches back to being powered by the external battery.

Other major benefits over your franken-battery setup:

• If your external battery has a hardware failure, you can easily replace it with a commercially available replacement relatively easily
  • You can safely travel with a powerbank; if you’re in the US and try to fly with a homemade/modified battery (especially if there are loose wires), I guarantee the TSA will want to chat. I can only assume similar caution will be displayed in most other countries.
  • PowerBanks can be sized up (and down) to allow for different durations of runtime. While in no way do I suggest getting something like an EcoFlow ‘solar-generator’ solely to power your laptop, they can power a laptop for literal days (if not weeks) and still have USB-C outputs. More realistically, they are often available in capacities larger than the Framework 13 (or even 16) batteries, and therefore may be able to provide longer runtimes than the current battery.

One downside:

• One of the USB-C ports becomes used for external power. Though the port would already be used for charging, so… :person_shrugging: