Intel 11th Gen Firmware Support - a BIG question mark

It would be interesting to hear framework on this. It’s their decision to make it either

• a lifestyle product with a short lifetime like a throw away consumable
  • a serious alternative to established products on a reusable platform

Up to now it is more like a “we drop support early to make people buy the new hardware”.
So framework, where is your committment to lifetime and support?
Will you fix the charging issue? Will you follow the path and go for a TB4 certification as announced earlier? Will you come to a timely release cycle for firmware hotfixes?
And, if yes, when?

To be clear: The pending answer to this question holds me back from investing more in framework hardware. Convince me, convince us!

Certainly there are things Framework needs to improve. They are working to do so, but it’s not possible to have dates as to when individual issues will be fixed. If it’s just not acceptable to you, then consider selling your Framework laptop and getting something else. Perhaps return to Framework when you consider that the results of their efforts are adequate for you.

Also, note that while Framework staff does post here on some things, this is primarily a user forum, you’re not likely to get a staff response here. If you want to actually ask them about something, you can contact them, Framework | Contact Us

Lenovo is the manufacturer that once literally built a malware into the BIOS of their laptop, that was reinstalling itself in Windows each time the user would try to remove it.

1 Like

Why can’t they just give a timeline, if they

• have a firmware binary for nearly a year that is the exact 3.20 version we need
  • they have release EFI methods for firmware updates for the exact model earlier

It is just a matter of packaging it again!
But they don’t care, that is my impression. They have sold their hardware and they are happy to have the money now. Who cares what comes after.
Fine is you are willing accept this and run a defective device, I am not.

Contacting the service desk until now never came to any solution. We have to build up some pressure to get what we have paid for!

Does that solve the problem we are discussing here?
BTW: I see a difference in a manufacturer releasing a faulty BIOS when the even weren’t aware of the vulnerability and on the other hand with an organization that simply does not care and is not committed.

In your posts (or was it another user) you’re comparing manufacturers (in particular Lenovo) on the theme of security and concluding that Framework is in a shameful position. I think that it is wrong, and I just backed my words with a verified fact.

Now you can (and should) push Framework to do better about firmware, but you miss the point that they are actually doing that right now, and you yelling in bad faith at them will not be helpful.

As they have stated, their efforts about firmware are starting to be fruitful.

You already can see a new EFI installer has been released for 12th gen!

PS: In my previous post I was actually replying to @BusyBoredom, but then you came in just as if you were taking over on their behalf.

To refresh your memory, Lenovo has voluntarily planted a malware in the BIOS in order to maintain the presence on the Windows operating system of an intrusive adware. This has nothing to do with unawereness.

1 Like

Sadly, that EFI installer is just a showcase for dead slow progress. Because everything it can update was already possible in January. You just would have needed to type in 1 additional command on the EFI shell yourself. It took them up until now to write a script that just hides that commandline from you.

They also added other improvements like faster update with less restarts and better UX. And those are appreciated. But they were not needed to make it work.
And the fact that they stonewalled since January (or September if you want to consider 11th gen which should be a carbon copy of how 12th gen updates unless they are hiding even more bugs in 11th gen) does not look good. Not if the fix was adding a single command line to their existing script, as they have now proven.

Edit: the only way this is not proof that FW has serious problems, is if they in fact halted all development on 11th & 12th gen and dedicated all resources to the AMD models for a long period. And the new updater work (the part that was missing to make the update “releasable”) was just a few days of work very recently.

1 Like

They took steps to improve the situation, and it already started to bear fruits.

The rest follows. Takes time.
They are building their team. Started from zero a couple years ago.

Let’s keep arguing in good faith.

Yes they should have had this manpower earlier, but 1. it’s not guaranteed they could have done so easily being an early startup, and 2. now that they have already taken the steps to remedy to the situation, it is not the time anymore to sling crap on them this hard. Counterproductive now.

1 Like

This is factually false.

They released an update to 11th gen BIOS September 2023 and then a 12th gen update in January 2024.

What’s going on with you guys, seriously.

They may be slow, but they are moving.
Moreover, they have very recently implemented team changes to accelerate the development.

1 Like

Not what I meant. I am well aware of those releases.

My point was that the 11th gen EFI update was missing from the start. The 12th gen EFI update launched in January. It included all components. It was missing a SINGLE command line to actually fully work. If 11th gen works like it should, the same updater from january could have been used for 11th gen. Back then. But FW decided to stonewall. And say nothing. And we had to wait until now for this single line fix for the 12th gen updater.

If that is FW working at full capacity on the Intel updates, then there is no hope for the company.
If that lack of progress was instead, because between 11th gen update release and now they basically halted work on those in favor of other products (because of their lack of dev resources). But now, they have that team up and running that is supposed to catch up with all the missed updates and the team is just starting to do things and the current state reflects only a small amount of work, then yes, that could show improvement.

I am just saying, with FW not being transparent on that, we do not know. Just an example for how this particular problem could have been solved for me: back in January, when they noticed the 12th gen EFI updater would not update ME firmware, they should have stated as much and also said, that it would be months until developers could take a look at it, because they were too busy with other things. That would have been transparent. And we would now know that they have taken the work up again and that it was progressing at a new speed.

Because the recent release of the 12th gen Windows updater was already a horrible look. Because it was obviously rushed and caused by the publicity and not by any natural progression. And they claimed that launching the wrong updater they had built in January was already work of the new team that was supposed to solve all the problems (obviously the new team could not have done any competent work on that, otherwise they would have known that they released even the wrong updater).

And to this day, the release page and release notes of 12th gen are still a mess with basic math mistakes and contradictions. So they still seem not to have the time to check what they are publishing.

1 Like

All you did is compare apple with pear. Nothing more. All you contribute here is confusion, but nothing to the solution.
It is your intention obviously to put blur on simple fact, that FW is missing to fix their products since years now. So please stop this and contribute to the solution.

If you want to file a lawsuite, please do it somewhere else.

That is absolutely ridiculous. We are talking about years.
Looks like I found something for my next c’t article

To the point. From customer perspective this is absolutely ridiculous. And maybe worth to make this more public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenovo#Security_and_privacy_incidents

What are you talking about? They have announced the team changes one month ago. You’re very confusing, on top of just chilling pro-malware Lenovo.

About the USB bug, have you really tried the workaround that you said did not work for you? What happened, then? We cannot help you if you don’t let us.

1 Like

Sorry, but we are talking about framework here, and obviously you.

Have you even tried the workaround?

In my culture this is perceived as super negative, if you try to blur your own faults by pointing towards others. And do you know why? Because we can see through that blur and still see the facts. One of these facts is that we are talking about very concrete problems of framework that are backed by even more concrete facts.
All that counts here is: Fix it! ASAP