Interesting concept from Lenovo (Android, Windows Hybrid)

Lenovo recently made a new laptop here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej82ryegfVc

It seems to be an android tablet used as a screen when docked in laptop mode but a tablet when undocked, similar to the Asus Trio 201.

Seems to be potentially possible with some kind of Raspberry Pi 4/5 compute module carrier board as an idea with a Framework 13. It might increase the thickness though.

Alternatively, might be interesting as some kind of wireless display you can project to maybe? I still dig the lapdock/KVM function for the Framework 13 as a feature though.

1 Like

In general the idea is great. Android can sip power much more sparingly than desktop computing OSes can, but I am curious about how it would compare if desktop and laptop CPUs could do hot swapping of CPU cores. If you could really cut power to all but one core, for example. If the OS was able to take heed and disable tasks that were not crucial at the times, and only focus on userland tasks, then I think this could be a great way to achieve something similar without switching to a straight up mobile OS.

Still this is interesting. For me it is just that with Framework here and their repairable intended to last designs always stealing the thunder, I just don’t find myself all that intersted in other manufacturers’ offerings.

1 Like

The screen tablet acts as a separate system from the Windows base though. They only can share files. I am not sure how practical it is in practice, thus I was thinking instead as a portable monitor (but in this case, a KVM mode would probably make more sense) or just a simple Raspberry Pi Tablet running something like Ubuntu Touch/FydeOS/Android that work well for me to use as a writing tablet for meetings and stuff.

I normally look at other manufacturer ideas such as the GPD Pocket 3 (KVM) and the rest with interest. Thanks to the modularity of Framework, I feel they could over time integrate some features that are actually useful for many of us. I am interested in some level of KVM and maybe as a writing tablet in my workflow without needing to buy another laptop.

1 Like

Have to keep in mind that starving the system of CPU could result in more cycles to accomplish the same unit of work - i.e. more power draw for less (or same) output.