Introducing the Framework Laptop 16

For anyone who’s interested, there is a coreboot thread you can follow (no timeline, back burner type deal at this time).

I pre-ordered (UK).

1 Like

It is on the official knowledge base of framework. Shipping regions don’t need monthly updates.
From my understanding it is pretty slow to get approved as manufacturer and seller in new countries, because they all have different certificates and permits you might have to obtain. I am sure Framework as a company is very eager to open shipping to more countries, as it can only mean more customers, more sales and therefore more revenue.

It’s not a monthly update issue, it’s a different computer issue.

That referred to the 13", which was rolled out step by step as more were produced and business allowed.

From the blog post about pre-orders opening:

Ordering is open now in all of our current countries: US, Canada, Germany, France, UK, Netherlands, Austria, Ireland, and Australia.
Framework | Framework Laptop 16 pre-orders are now open

Nowhere on the shipping page do they specify this only refers to the FW13 model. I think they wouldn’t limit the countries they ship to for a new product compared to an older one.

I was noting the link you provided which relates to Sept 2022 and relates to the 13", this second like refers to the 16" and is dated July 2023 which like the former names the Nations available.

Like @Schuasda said, while the knowledge base article has not been updated, it no longer refers to only the Framework Laptop 13. In the article it states

The Framework Laptop is currently available in the following countries and regions:

Which now refers to the Framework Laptop 13 and the Framework Laptop 16, as both laptops ship to all of those regions.

I’m not sure where this is going ?

• The old page clearly cannot refer to the 16" as it wasn’t available when the article blog post was created. This is in reference to the link originally provided.
  • The second link was specific to the 16" and touts the same.

This is not the same as reading into the first one that this would automatically apply the any future product.

Still I’m out of this discussion: Bye

We have gotten off topic. The point I want to make is that for @zzz and anyone else coming to this thread wondering what countries the Framework Laptop 16 can ship to, the list at this link is the list of countries that both the Framework Laptop 13 and Framework Laptop 16 can ship to, despite the fact that it was last updated in Sept. 2022.

As noted the Sept 2022 article blog post about the 13" as there is one that deals with the 16" date July 2023

This conversation is going nowhere, the countries on the knowledgebase article are correct and available for ordering the FW16

3 Likes

You know, even for $1400 it’s not terrible value when compared to offerings from big companies.

Yes, it does’t actually offer significantly more than a 15 inch plastic slab with so much chassis flex ballerinas would blush.

But also, the Framework 16 is not a wibbly-wobbly plastic slab – it’s a premium laptop with a metal chassis and lots of upgradability, and a fan curve that won’t let the CPU go to 100 degrees.

One thing of intrigue, however, is that if most of the computers made (on the line) is already filled with the modules, then why is it less expensive to have someone take out the modules for the DIY verison? should it not be more expensive?

I don’t understand the logic here.

Also. Only Ryzen right now? That’s kind of disappointing, although I’m pretty sure a blue offering would come up at some point.

DDR5?! That’s mad. You know the entire debate that the SODIMM connector is not going to work for … well, it’s the speed bottleneck, because some signal integrity stuff.

Next gen CAMM module when?

Where did you get that idea. Imagine some are not completed, just a few for each pre build?

the framework factory tour by LTT.
In it you can see (and he actually talked about) how it is actually cheaper for Framework to design the assembly line where all the components are placed inside the laptop, and then a separate small workshop is used to remove the modules for the ones that ordered DIY versions. This make sense since there is (apparently) significantly more people that orders the non-diy version than there are that orders the DIY versions.

It does make sense, when you consider the amount of different SKUs that would be flying around for every laptop otherwise – plus they do in-factory testing, which is not going to be possible if the machine don’t have like, RAM or whatsnot.

What would be interesting is to see what will happen if the DIY version ordered doesn’t have stuff like RAM or SSD, how will they test it.

3 Likes

JEDEC CAMM is not yet finalized or on the market. Ryzen 7040HS also lacks support for DDR4, making DDR5 the only option.

1 Like

One more thing, before i am also tired of this pointless discussion:
This was not a “blog post”. It is a FAQ/knowledge base/wiki article, however you want to call it. It has never referred to any specific model of laptop, because it wasn’t categorized as such.

The DIY is actually more expensive for the same config. I just compared it:

• Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
  • DDR5-5600 - 16GB (2 x 8GB)
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 500GB
  • Windows 11 Home (Download)
  • Graphics Module (AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S)
  • Numpad module
  • 180W Power Adapter
  • 6x USB-C expansion card

The DIY version comes to 2,499.00€, while the prebuilt with the same specs totals 2,390.00€
So about 100€ difference. The framework markups for RAM, storage and windows version are a bit higher than from other online retailers, so i think you should be able to save a bit by ordering the DIY version and sourcing those parts yourself. Maybe you can get a deal on something.

I suspect they have some SSDs and RAM sticks to put into DIY machines to test them. Afterwards they pull them out again, ship the unit and use the components on the next machine.

2 Likes

Yes not a blog post as you note. The closest I can get to July 2022 is June 2022, where they are ramping up the production of the 12th gen.
So around that time there was no 16" so the “FAQ/knowledge base/wiki article” could only have referred to the 13".

That a year later they create a new ‘entry’ clearly indicates their desire to ensure people know where the 16" is available. That they are the same was not the point I was making, but rather, it could not be taken for granted that the scope for the 16" would be the same as the 13" and use the 2022 13" text used as affirmation.

I think I’m getting there :slight_smile:

Let’s not continue this conversation, I really don’t want to ask the mods to shut this thread down because it’s becoming off-topic/an argument starts.

Part of this is due to the cost of a full Windows license vs the OEM licenses that come on prebuilts. The OEM ones can’t be transferred to other machines, but that full license you buy with the DIY is yours forever and can be used on multiple machines.