Introducing the Framework Laptop 16

We’re excited to share our next major product category, a high-performance 16” notebook, the Framework Laptop 16. Not only does the Framework Laptop 16 carry forward all of the same design philosophy around upgrade, repair, and customization from the Framework Laptop 13 at a substantially higher performance point, but it also brings in two new module ecosystems: a fully reconfigurable input deck and modular, upgradeable graphics. This enables an incredible range of use cases and deep personalization for gamers, creators, engineers, and more. We’ll be sharing full specifications, pricing, and availability when we open pre-orders on the Framework Laptop 16 this spring, ahead of shipments in late 2023. What we’re releasing today is a preview to let developers get started with our open source design documentation.

Input Module system

When starting the design of a larger screen laptop, one of the key questions was: Numpad, or no numpad? After performing some market research, we found out there is almost exactly a 50/50 split between people who love and need numpads and people who hate them. We used this as an opportunity to not only let you pick your preference there, but also completely customize the input experience.

With the Framework Laptop 16, options for the input system are nearly unlimited. Input Modules are hot-swappable, making it easy for you to reconfigure at any time. Input modules come in three sizes – Small, Medium (Numpad Modules), and Large (Keyboard Modules). Many of the Small module options enable color customization, but it’s also possible to build functional modules like an LED Matrix or haptic slider. For Medium modules, in addition to numpads, secondary displays and macro pads are workable. For Large modules, we’re developing both regular backlit keyboards in a range of languages and an RGB backlit version.

We’ve also released open source firmware based on QMK keyboard software that runs on the Raspberry Pi RP2040 microcontroller that many of our Input Modules utilize.

With an open source design, we can’t wait to see the incredible modules that the community creates: jog wheels, sliders, touchscreen displays, e-ink notepads, smartcard readers, and more. Really, almost anything can be created into an Input Module. The only limit is your imagination, and the 3.7mm height constraints.

Expansion Bay system

With the Framework Laptop 16, we’re delivering on a dream that many have given up on: upgradeable, modular graphics in a high-performance notebook. With the Expansion Bay system, it’s possible to upgrade Graphics Modules independently of the rest of the laptop. Since Expansion Bay modules can extend the laptop in both thickness and depth, we have immense design flexibility to handle generation over generation changes in mechanical, thermal, and electrical requirements for GPUs.

On top of that, the PCIe x8 interface enables a range of other non-graphics use cases that need both high power and high speed. As an example, we’ve developed a dual M.2 SSD card that can drop into an Expansion Bay Shell, allowing for an additional 16TB of storage. Since the documentation for this interface is open source, developers have freedom to create amazing modules on it, like card readers, video capture devices, AI accelerators, SDR radios, and more.

Expansion Card system

The Framework Laptop 16 also brings in the Expansion Card system from the Framework Laptop 13, letting you choose which ports you’d like on each side along with adding other functionality like high speed storage. We’ve enabled three Expansion Cards on each side. We’ve also replaced the fixed 3.5mm headphone jack with a new Audio Expansion Card, letting you choose analog audio if you’d like or swap it for a port if you’re using a USB or wireless headset.

Developer documentation

Developer documentation is available on GitHub today for all three systems: Input Modules, Expansion Bay Modules, and Expansion Cards. By open-sourcing our designs early, we’re enabling the creation of a robust and vibrant ecosystem of modules to accompany the launch of the Framework Laptop 16. In the future, we’ll also be opening the Framework Marketplace to third party module makers, enabling both individuals and companies to participate directly in the ecosystem.

The Framework Laptop 16 is meant to be a platform of possibilities. Whether you’re a gamer, developer, heavy Linux user, creator, or have other performance-demanding work, the Framework Laptop 16 is built to be customized to your needs.

98 Likes

Wow! Waiting for more specs. I’m really curios how it will compare to the MNT Reform in terms of dimensions.

4 Likes

Already have an idea for an expansion :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nice gem hidden towards the end of the video: RGB keyboard!
(yes I know this is a preview of what is possible, but still)

7 Likes

any details about the dimensions of the laptop? weight? height? what gpu will be available? is it mxm, oculink or a new interface?

7 Likes

It’s interesting to note that the keyboard also replaces the rather annoying full-height left and right arrows with ones that are consistently sized with the up-and-down. It will be nice if this change eventually comes to a keyboard for the 13 as well.

5 Likes

I don’t need to have a 11th gen Intel Framework 13, a Ryzen 7 Framework 13, AND a Ryzen (???) Framework 16.

But dammit, by the end of the year I’m gonna.
(hopefully :D)

16 Likes

How to choose between glossy and matte display when ordering a new DIY? I don’t see an option.

2 Likes

… those links are both 404s on GitHub. Congrats on the launch! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe I’ve failed to read, but will there be an upgrade path/kit from the 13" to 16"?

Would love to own a 16", but also don’t want to create ewaste by bailing on the 13" completely

13 Likes

We are switching over to the new matte display and they are pre-installed at the factory. We will still have some original display kits available should someone want to purchase them as a Marketplace item.

11 Likes

FIXED!

7 Likes

It seems that info will be available soon, ref: the initial post above

2 Likes

Nothing announced, but I bet the community would be crazy enough to find tiny USB-C extension cables and print some brackets to fit the smaller 4 port “13-inch” boards into the larger 6 port case. The touchpad and keyboard will probably be tricky, but again this place is full of crazies.

Personally, my 11th gen board would be retired into a FrameNUC via the CoolerMaster case, and the 4 port Ryzen board would probably get duct taped into a home-made SteamDeck. Or maybe I’ll make a couple of tablets. Or print up something to rackmount 'em.

10 Likes

@ParticleCannon Oh right! Forgot the port changes due to its size increase. Ok! Not a big problem. Maybe I’ll just continue the upgrade path on the 13 inch

1 Like

I love the idea!

What I’d really love for a “medium” sized input module would be navigation and arrow keys in the same configuration that you find them on full sized keyboards. I find that the awkwardness of where they get crammed into on laptops is often what turns me off from using laptops in general, as I rely on them for various shortcuts and navigation of text files.

Just pre-ordered a 13th gen mainboard for my current FW, but may very well opt for this once more info comes out and pre-orders go live. I don’t need the upgrade for my workload, but battery life improvement would be nice.

I want to see what the dGPU support is going to look like. They probably have someone on board with a modular/upgradeable design before announcing it. I’m guessing its AMD or Intel and not Nvidia.

4 Likes

I had always used a 15" laptop before I bought FW13 last year, I was really missing the num pad. Excel is little more conveniant to use with a num pad. I’m glad this will give me options and more power?

Give us Specs please and take my money too.

9 Likes

Will you guys be offering some sort of buy-back program? To send the 13 inch back and get a small discount on the 16 inch version? That way you can also use those parts for the future generation of “refurbished” 13 inch.

12 Likes

Unfortunately no. We do encourage second-hand sales and parts trading amongst the Community. Warranties are transferrable!

26 Likes