Introducing the Framework Laptop Chromebook Edition

If this is literally happening now, I hope they’ve got in the works an AMD version of this thing.

Hope FW will be releasing a UK version of the Chromebook, had been considering a regular one with Chrome OS Flex once it supports Android apps and Steam. Looks like I’ll be holding out for this one now to replace my Pixelbook as it fast approaches five years old.

1 Like

I bought my Framework because it seemed aligned with a privacy-first, environmentally conscious, repairable model. This Framework-Google collaboration worries me.

Right to repair and FLOSS (free and libre open source software) are both about letting users choose what to do with their computers. Regardless of whether ChromeOS is the only software you can install on this new Framework computer, the fact that Google aims to be the default we all use makes it more likely that we will choose their software. Unfortunately, not only is most of Google’s software closed source (Android, Chromium, and ChromeOS are a fraction of what Google does), but they consistently hoard our data to change our behavior. They build models of who you are to find just the right thing that will keep you hooked on their products. They want us to believe or buy whatever their ads promote.

Google is not our friend. They don’t care about empowering us. They don’t care about our wellbeing. They care about selling ads.

16 Likes

If you release a Chrome OS build for the regular Framework version (sans Titan M), I might get to try it for once. :sweat_smile:

Are you sure about the different speakers one? I haven’t seen that anywhere.

1 Like

Man, there’s a lot of malaise here. I get it: everyone sitting here on this forum bought or considered buying a Framework for Linux/Windows and were drawn to the desktop-like DIY flare that offered with less waste. If that’s primarily your interest, this product isn’t for you, although it does seem like we can still upgrade ram/storage.

There are lots of reasons someone might want this. Perhaps they want a device for a family member? This gives them the choice for using a cloud-focused device. As much as I love Linux, it is not exactly set and forget for a family member. This can offer that type of experience, with much snappier performance than Windows. Chrome has improved a lot, with even a steam client being announced recently, and the Linux VM app situation is pretty sweet.

If you’re Framework, perhaps you’ve been looking at the market share reports that show that Chrome has a steadily trending market share increase year over year (already higher than Apple). Google used to have the Pixelbook line serving the high end, but they just recently announced that they would axe that product. That makes Framework a great candidate for being a flagship high-end ChromeOS device. This can be great for more repairable Framework products in the future!

Also, let’s not forget enterprises. Many businesses are moving to cloud-first software. Chromebooks are used by schools because they are easy to manage, web-first products. If the enterprise can deploy more of these devices, manage them more easily, have them look as good as their glued Dells, and get an easily repairable device like enterprise devices used to be, it seems to create a pretty interesting value proposition.

I wonder if we can upgrade a gen 1 product to a Chromebook with a mainboard upgrade in the future? In case we decide to repurpose an old device…

9 Likes

Will it be possible to dual boot a Linux distro? It would be very handy to use ChromeOS for things like Netflix where Linux is limited by DRM, and then being able to boot into a full Linux distro if I needed to do dev work etc.

6 Likes

I’ve always been able to dual boot my Chromebooks in Developer mode, and the Intel architecture is compatible with the largest choice of distros.

My only problem is the lack of a touchscreen. It’s really essential on a CB, especially with Android apps.

5 Likes

Just a appreciation post for you, thanks for being that helpful person in every thread!!! :star_struck:

5 Likes

…and possibly the flip / tablet form factor as well in some use cases.

2 Likes

So after 8 years and the AUE on that motherboard expires will there be an easy process to turn it into a regular laptop/x86 motherboard?

I know Chrome OS already has tools within Dev mode to enable a legacy BIOS and USB booting so would it be dependent on something like that

3 Likes

Will they make the louder speakers available in the marketplace?

If an 11th Gen batch 1 will support it, I would consider it.

I’m late to this thread, but I said this in a post all of 24 hours ago:

Do I get a medal or something? It’s not exactly what I was referring to but, boy, the timing is uncanny.

2 Likes

As someone who previously used a Chromebook Pixel 2015, and switched to my Framework laptop a bit over a year ago, I find this quite amusing.

When I used my ol’ Chromebook Pixel 2015, it really set the standard for me in what I wanted from a laptop form factor (3:2 aspect ratio screen, glass trackpad, machined aluminum frame, etc), and these things it had in common with the Framework, were much of why I picked the Framework for my next laptop.

I don’t have any interest in the Chromebook edition for a variety of reasons (happy with my current Framework, and no desire to go from Arch Linux back to ChromeOS), but for someone who wants a premium Chromebook I think this is a compelling option that fills a similar niche to what the Chromebook Pixel 2015 filled.

^ This would be nice if possible. I currently often boost volume above 100% on my Framework, and having more headroom to not do that would be nice. I’d be very willing to pay for that part.

2 Likes

Yeah, mine has the flip function, but I keep having the disabled keyboard and touchpad reactivate at the worst times. I get more use out of “tent mode” for watching movies.

1 Like

oops, yeah is misread that…

I wouldn’t have guessed that was coming, but it sounds like a very good idea. I’ve never used a chromebook or ChromeOS but have heard many good reviews on both. Another option to the Linux/Windows DIY and the Windows pre-built offerings sound like a really smart move to me; more choices is generally a good thing.

I’m happy to see this sort of expansion and I definitely hope it is a successful move for Framework.

1 Like

The 3.10 UEFI update got me (it may have come earlier, I may have skipped a couple firmwares) an option in UEFI to manually set how full the battery will be when it’s charged. Just an open field, enter your favorite integer between 0 and 100. It appears this means my laptop is forever “charging: 85%, 0:23 until fully charged”, but a reasonable starting place for the “I want my battery to have a longer lifetime, not longer daily battery life” crowd. Downside is I like switching between those two modes, and popping into UEFI to do so is disruptive.

To be clear, pure speculation: I have zero information as to the Google-Framework relationship: Google has a long history of getting other manufacturers to sorta prototype a field for them. They could spend serious effort creating a “repairable hardware” division, hire a team, do market research, design, build, and market an ecosystem… Or they could hand Framework ten million dollars (again, 100% theoretical), putting 10k repairable chromebooks in the field that I’m guessing are largely parts-compatible with the existing ecosystem minus the mainboard and top cover. This would be a win-win-win. Google presumably is buying stake in Framework, and gets its name out there in the fight against e-waste. Framework gets a cashflow boost while servicing a new market segment. And the community gets futher delivery on the promise of an interchangeable parts laptop ecosystem. Could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that 2030 support commitment is longer than most of the Chromebooks out there.

People keep campaigning for an AMD framework, but in many ways the ChromeOS edition gives more user-choice expands the brand more. I say full speed ahead. Bring on the Framework nvidia shield edition, M1 Framework, and Framework Ampere Altra, now with lap-incineration technology.

Edit: skimming HN, nrp’s post on the changes in the new version are informative. Don’t think we can benefit from the codec change, but if they’ve got better transducers? I’d consider ordering upgraded speakers. Curious, given how much the audio codec has lead to design changes, might the Framework team consider making the audio codec entirely modular / replaceable on the next-gen / first major design shift? Could see a whole little market developing around third-party audio codec / amp kits in certain circles.

2 Likes

The fact that they deliver better speakers with this has a bitter taste.
People were complaining since day 1 about them.
The chassis and battery are the same, so the speaker should be a drop in replacement for the 11th and 12th gen.
Dont get me wrong here, i love to see that they have worked on this and there will be an upgrade path, but now 2 months old machines already have outdated hardware…
People will upgrade, extra shipping sucks for the environment and the old speakers go to waste…

1 Like