Introducing the new and upgraded Framework Laptop

Concerning battery life, the XPS 13 has the same 55Wh.
With a moderate usag and an OLED display they get 5H to 6H45 batterie with a TDP of 20W.
Without an OLED display eventually framework laptop will get 4H to 5H45 ???
Will it possible to go down to ~15W TDP when on battery like U series, because 4H is very limited. (I get 5H with 2018 thinkpad E590 45wh)

Would it be possible to shutdown some P cores to have only two active like on the 15W U series ???

Bottom line I want to be on the move for the day and be sure I can count on my laptop for websurfing and video for the day;) 5H is what I have on my current laptop and its the spor where you have to think about it… If I work 4H at a café I have to find a plug… getting to 6-7H is the sweet spot.

Yes, it should be in BIOS.
Also you should be able to set artificial power limits in Throttlestop!

1 Like

Do you mean you already have this kind of option in the bios of 11th gen framework ?

Concerning throtlestop I remember play in ng with it back in the day with not much success. Was more fun playing trying to undervolt the CPU with intel stuf.
Now on linux.
I suppose tuning power consumption this new tech intel 12th gen will take quite some efforts and updates to bios and linux kernel

Yup, we can disable cores (not specific ones though), as well as disable turbo and Hyper-Threading etc in bios.

Throttlestop has a lot of options that don’t work with most CPUs these days, but Power Limits are still useful!

3 Likes

Can you tell us if the modules have been improved Hardware wise with this release of the framework gen 2 ?

A lot of issues have been discussed here on idle power consumption, disconnections, power shortages …

12th gen mainboards are now available for purchase on the marketplace (even in Europe).

2 Likes