BIOS 3.09 to replace Incomplete BIOS 3.08

@Matt_Simmons Did you try the kernel parameter nvme.noacpi=1? This improves your battery life with the sleep mode: s2idle remarkably. You can see Linux battery life tuning - #202 by junaruga for detail.

2 Likes

I’m on Fedora Linux but tempted to try the beta myself, mainly because I so frickin’ tired of having to reboot and go into bios to enable battery disconnect every time I want to shut it down.

Honestly, after being frustrated and waiting for months at this point for power related fixes, I bit the bullet and installed the unlisted 3.08 bios. At least for me, I’m no longer seeing huge power drain when hibernating or powering off the laptop.

Caveats being obviously it’s an unlisted BIOS, there’s no changelog or guarantee of anything actually being fixed, but anecdotally in limited testing it’s an improvement on the power drain.

2 Likes

I decided to give this a try, and this bios absolutely ate my battery up. It drains a LOT when I am literally just looking at outlook online. This is a report of this just happening.

Windows 10 I71165 32 GB Ram, 2 TB Sabrent Rocket.

1 Like

Looks like little difference between Active and Standby.

However if you mean sleep and all the same apps are running that’s not surprising as it may only switch the screen off and in my case with the screen low that is hardly significant.

What did you use to get that read out. I’ll give mine a try in standby?

That looks like the sleep study that you can use powercfg to attain:

1 Like

OK ??!! All a way bit off topic still using 3.07 I can’t see what 3.08 can offer.

Just used the powercfg /SleepStudy and am overwhelmed by the amount of info. That’s the bad news as there’s no way I’m going to get my head around even 10% of it.

The good news is, not that I am a believer, but after four months and using a min of 2 to 3 hours a day, more likely 4 to 5 and sometimes 6plus I have

Capacity Ratio 94
Cycle Count 0

Have only once done a discharge to switch off followed by 100% charge.

After the first two months I usually use when plugged in at 78% battery setting

Update: I had the opportunity to not use my laptop for 5 whole days (it was tough but I did it)… I put it in my backpack at 65% battery with BIOS 3.08 installed. After the five days i pulled it out of my bag and turned it on… still says 65% battery, running Windows 11 as primary OS. QAPLA!

5 Likes

Ok I’d better get that 3.08

However the other problem was the RTC that seems to ‘fail’ in a week or two
:thinking:

We’re now on the “The engineering team at our manufacturing partner and our internal engineering team integrate the upstream fix with our Framework Laptop-specific BIOS.” and “Our manufacturing partner and internal team validate the BIOS.” steps. Since there are changes from 3.08, this will formally be released as 3.09.

20 Likes

Yay, moving forward!

Any chance we can know what fixes are upcoming / included? A release note preview?

Absolutely great to hear! :smiley: Sorry to be that person, but is there a ETA timeframe of arrival? If there isn’t that’s completely fine, it’s just a nice-to-know. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And … any chance it will be rolled out through fwupd as well? The boot-from-USB procedure for 3.07 was sort-of OK, but the fact it messed up to BIOS boot preferences was less than ideal. Firmware updates through fwupd for Dell XPS-13 were an absolute delight.

3 Likes

So far I still only have hit or miss trackpad issues. 3.08 has fixed almost everything for me outside of that. in fact I can now idle for about 13 hours under Arch. normal usage 6 to 10 hours depending on what I am doing. So its pretty close to what I expect. I am starting to think my main board or track-pad are defective though. shrugs at least I can easily fix a mechanical issue. Hope the firmware and stuff goes open too so the community can help and spot check that side too.

1 Like

Finally a big step forward! Congrats! Releasing the firmware as 3.09 is the right choice rather than overriding the 3.08, as some people already use the 3.08.

6 Likes

Apologies for the slowness on this. The 3.09 BIOS itself is prepped, and we’re staging the download and release notes.

24 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait to give it a spin!

1 Like

(Hitting refresh frantically on the BIOS upgrade page)

4 Likes

Available here now: BIOS 3.09 Beta release

13 Likes

@nrp do you have any estimation of how long 3.09 will remain classed as Beta?

1 Like