Issue of touchpad spacers and the number of customers bothered by it

I want my modular laptop to look modular so I really dig it.

10 Likes

The current layout of spacers isn’t as aesthetically pleasing as it could be, and I notice it, but I’m not bothered enough by it to change anything about my order or Framework support. The dream would be the ability to run a LED matrix spacers for the bottom and the full keyboard layout with numpad up top, but I believe Framework stated this isn’t currently possible. Hopefully down the line or someone will figure something out in the aftermarket.

2 Likes

From the shots in this video, they do seem noticeable (I linked a time stamp but also see 4:05) but I’ll have to see the feeling myself to decide how much I dislike it. If I cant feel it and it doesnt become an issue with dust and whatnot then idrc since it’s purely a cosmetics thing. I personally think the tradeoff is worth it if it is purely aesthetic issue.

1 Like

I don’t understand Vietnamese, but I’m so starved for FW16 content that I sat thru the entire thing, lol.

6 Likes

I watched a few minutes as well. We’ll just have to be patient I guess :confused:

3 Likes

I’m guessing I’ll have to see it to really know. The pictures don’t look very good and the gaps would likely bother me, but during the linked video they look pretty seamless and wouldn’t bother me at all.

1 Like

Are you going to center the touchpad? I will and think they’ll be fine in that configuration.

If I wanted/needed to put the touchpad on the left or right I’d dislike the spacers a lot more. With two next to each other - especially if somewhat misaligned - it could look a bit whack.

I’d likely center it, but I’d consider moving it to the right given that my current Razer laptop has it directly to the right of the keyboard and I’ve been using it for years.

1 Like

to my dismay, from the above article:

The Touchpad Module cannot be installed on the right side when the Keyboard is installed on the left.

this is the configuration that seemed most obvious to me, and is apparently forbidden? surprising and disappointing.

2 Likes

Well I guess centered is what I’ll be going with given my keyboard will have to be on the left to accommodate the num pad that I’m going to have. I didn’t think about having the num pad during my last few posts.

I can tell you if it bothers me, when I hold it in my hands and I’m using it, not from pictures only.

3 Likes

interesting. I will try all right with numbpad left

1 Like

Oh well, that’s disappointing, I was planning on doing exactly that myself

For those wanting the keyboard all the way to one side and the touchpad all the way to the opposite side, wouldn’t that lead to one palm pretty much fully resting on the touchpad while typing? Doesn’t seem to me that it would shift far enough to be out of the way, but maybe I’m missing something.

2 Likes

I can only say that I really hope Framework or someone will produce a single module without spacers for the bottom with no visible touchpad, but touchpad functionality, like the new XPS line.

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t care that much about the visuals as long as they aren’t seriously awful.
I would however love to see a first or third party sensel touch pad, I don’t care if it’s with or without spacers, as long as it’s centered.

That’s what I’d be looking out for.

3 Likes

Those gaps are visually unpleasant. I hope the gap doesn’t fill with lint or just garbage. Truthfully, I hope at some point later in the life cycle they release a monolithic bottom trackpad. I’d rather lose some flexibility than have those gaps

6 Likes

I can say with experience that the “no visible touchpad” thing looks nice, but is functionally problematic. The scenario that comes to mind that has got me is clicking and dragging. The trackpad has a usable area, just no detectable edge. So when you’re dragging off the edge, it’s like just releasing the button. This has lead to dragging something and dropping it in an expected location.

3 Likes

that’s what palm rejection is supposed to be for. and if that doesn’t work right, there’s no configuration where it won’t sometimes be a problem for someone. i’ve had issues with centered trackpads and failing palm rejection myself; on the mbp i’m currently using, with a centered trackpad that is smaller than the one on the fw 16, i am pretty often placing my palm against it. (but fortunately, the palm rejection on it DOES work correctly.)

That is a good point. So imo the trackpad would indeed need to be huge, almost from side to side.