Join us for the Framework Next Level Event on March 23rd

So while trying to find proof to back myself up, I actually couldnt find any for the printer lol. Although i swear I thought i saw something from someone at framework talking about a printer.

But, one of the first blog posts from framework talks about “in defense of dumb tvs” which may indicate places they might have put some development time into over the last few years?

Don’t get me wrong, I think both would be great products. I just can’t see them being viable in markets that want “smart” and digital everything.

But then again, how would Framework offer a dumb TV? They are too big to practically ship around to individuals without a distributor or retail partner. Then what kind of parts would they offer? Entire display panels? dumb TV’s are far less complex than a laptop, so what would be the Framework spin?

As for printers, I can see a 3d printer offering having some potential, but that’s also a pretty niche market. 3D printers would make more sense over traditional inkjet/laser printers, especially since they tend to have more moving/upgradable parts, and there are companies already offering DIY kits.

I think to have the biggest impact, they’d need to get into a large market, like Smartphones or even smartwatches (less so). They are devices everyone has, and ironically the same devices that very few can repair at home. That would fit the Framework model. :+1:

1 Like

Well, either way I’m glad that Framework’s doing a product announcement event, it’s a good way to keep us consumers informed!

7 Likes

Curious as to what this event could be about.

Some guesses:

• New mainboard (either AMD or 13th gen intel)
  • Bigger size laptop (15 inch or so)
  • Completely new product line, honestly not even sure what they would do. Maybe a tablet?
  • New marketplace items (expansion cards, third-party implementations etc)
  • Lastly, perhaps some software, but I fell this certainly is not the main focus if it is included, they seem very excited for this one.
4 Likes

I think fixing shipping fees is way more urgent. Paying 30€ for a RAM stick is not sustainable. Though I’m very excited for a third party marketplace, Framework could become the default company for tinkerers.

5 Likes

I’m hoping for a smartphone as well, both because the U.S. is sorely lacking an equivalent to the Fairphone and because I’m going to be in need of a new phone sooner than I was expecting.

1 Like

Since Framework is still not delivering to my country, the only thing that would excite me is an estimation of when they will start supporting more countries. A “no sooner than” date would be very helpful, but I understand that it may not be possible to provide one.

4 Likes

I think a phone is a bit too out there, even for them. They’ve done well in the laptop space, but I’m not sure if I expect to see anything in a different market yet. There are a few things I expect/hope to see.

• I imagine we’ll get a new mainboard, almost certainly Intel, and I know people have been hoping for AMD for some time
  • New expansion cards? I’m not sure what exactly I’d want to see there, but I’d certainly be interested.
  • I’ve really been hoping for some sort of touchscreen module. I vaguely recall hearing that the motherboard supported it, they just haven’t been able to manufacture one.
  • coreboot someday pls
4 Likes

Okay, just to add another option: a bring-your-own mainboard SKU? I’d genuinely like to know if it’s difficult to add something like that or if it would be possible, because if you replace your mainboard then you can use the new SKU to gift a Framework to somebody, or keep as a backup, keeping in line with Framework’s mission…

5 Likes

Just give me a 16" screen and an AMD cpu and I’m gonna be a happy camper. Excited to see what else they come up with though.

4 Likes

I agree with @junaruga on this. I had the impression from the start that ecosystem/marketplace is framework’s main plan to make money, aside from direct sales (for which profitability is limited by the nature of selling long term devices instead of disposable ones). The slide just confirms my impressions of this.

Plus while things like intel 13th gen / amd / larger form factor are nice and 13th gen at least likely, they aren’t exactly Next Level, just another iteration.

A completely new device like phone/tablet/tv etc. would be Next Level, but also quite unlikely I think, for a few reasons:

It’s too early to move on to an entirely new product line. Framework still has its work cut out to get established in the laptop space beyond enthusiasts, and building trust and an ecosystem. Going to a completely new product line within a couple of years of launching your first product is absurd. Even huge tech companies wait many years before doing that, e.g. see how long Samsung took to get into laptops

They’re not big enough. I just don’t think Framework has enough engineers and product managers and such to figure out a whole new line. They’re still a relatively small company.

It’s just not feasible. When Nirav Patel went on interviews and said the laptop market was ripe for change, he didn’t simply mean it was creating bad, disposable products; (almost) all consumer electronics are like that. He meant that it was actually fairly feasible to change that.

Just look at the way the framework laptop is built. Almost everything is off the shelf components, with framework itself really only designing the casing and expansion cards. Plus, most of the technical aspects is once again handled by their manufacturing partners. This is the main reason they managed to create a laptop “from scratch” in 18 months. And this type of open market just doesn’t exist yet for phones (I’m not sure about TV’s).

Plus the laptop form factor still has some wiggle room to add in removable parts and panels and easy screws. The same doesn’t really apply to mobile devices with the insane expectations we have of them for thinness and weight. Fairphone is living proof of how difficult it is. And I haven’t even touched on software yet.

So yeah, ecosystem seems more likely.

6 Likes

Well, as far as much of the world is concerned, you have not delivered anything.
So unless the next step is availability, I’m going to have to pass.

So you’re saying “Unless you ship to every single country there is, you shouldn’t do anything else”?

12 Likes

No, that’s not at all what I said.

1 Like

Look forward to what you have coming, I would love to see a workstation grade laptop (15 inch with some thickness and a bigger battery )

4 Likes

A Framework Phone would be cool.

An AMD mainboard would be cooler :slight_smile:

4 Likes

dedicated graphics card i hope!

7 Likes

We’re excited to see either way. Any progress on the marketplace will be good, especially with other people making and selling expansion cards.

We need a high quality touchscreen, or maybe even any touchscreen before we make a purchase. Way better battery life and/or bigger battery would be awesome to see and we’ve seen a number of people have battery woes (a lot of it is Windows being terrible but there’s been quite a few other minor FW details as well) - unless many of the FW-specific battery issues have been fixed? DGPU would be a massive bonus too but we figure it’s unlikely.
Phone sounds very unlikely but it would be cool to be surprised. Bigger FW option would be awesome, 15" would sound most likely if they did a new size.

4 Likes

I’m hoping for a i7-1370p model or AMD RYZEN… Honestly, I may be buying or pre-ordering my new laptop on March 23rd.

6 Likes

I’m just hoping for a better LCD, the existing one is good, but how matter how it’s calibrated, it’s always somehow to redish.

1 Like