Josh Cook's dual USB-C expansion card

Go ahead and place the pre-order for $11, if you want to be assured you’ll get 1 card.

@Josh_Cook interested to see how this turns out. Deposit paid for 2 cards.

Great work on this little dual usb c module!

I’d like to do the preorder too, but i only have a debit card and that doesnt work with the payment option on stripe. Is there a way to make this work?

Thanks!

Send me a PM/DM with your card brand as I’ll need to research it.

1 Like

Hi I am also very interested in this, is this the link for the pre-order? could you possibly updated somewhere here, or maybe do a new post to summarise what’s going on with this? Stripe Checkout

I’m interested in the card, but I want to see it complete and working before I commit.

What USB 3.2? USB 3.2 is a general specification. USB 3.2 20gbps, USB 3.2 10gbps (like the host port supports on the Frameworks), or USB 3.2 5gbps? A confirmation of what hub/chip you are using would be all that is necessary to confirm that.

Blame the USB-IF for the stupid naming.

Framework should fix their product pages for all intel/amd frameworks while they are at it and specify USB 3.2 10gbps instead of just USB3.2. The intel 13th gen SOCs support USB3.2 20gbps USB3.2 but that functionality isn’t exposed for whatever reason. The AMD SOCs do not support 20gbps USB3.2. So all currently released framework models only support USB3.2 10gbps (ignoring any support for USB4 which is a separate protocol and has different limits).

Can’t do that, sorry. It’s 10G USB3.2

1 Like

Isn’t that counter to framework’s mission?

2 Likes

While I do really wish to get one, I am too afraid to nuke one port of my framework 13 (for now) and be left with (only) 3 remaining ones.

I believe Framework most probably will pick this type of expansion card up again when there is a good supplier (they said they’ve already tried) so I’ll wait for it and pass on this.

Thank you for all your hard work though, @Josh_Cook , very appreciated.

You can’t find complete schematics for the Framework Mainboard or the Expansion Cards can you?

oof … FedEx my least favorite shipper … lol

I’ve done well over 250 shipments with them, one was lost and I got compensated for the full value.

I would agree. Plus I suddenly finding myself disliking the direction of this thread, with comments about “cannot provide information about the hub/chip”, “completely closed project”, " no design files will be available at all, and all photos that I post will not have the PCB itself exposed".

It all started so open-sourcy, on a forum topic called “Creators & Developers” and suddenly all these black boxes starting showing up. For something that will probably come with no warranties at all… :frowning:

This makes me either wait for the release and having some people test it before me (even if that means that I will lose the opportunity to get one, if there is only one batch made), OR wait for an official release for something similar from Framework. But definitely not very enthusiastic to join at this point anymore!

Sorry! I’m only mentioning this to vent my frustration, because I was really looking forward for this, but not so much the more I read the thread… :face_holding_back_tears:

18 Likes

It reminds me of Krikzz’s Everdrives flashcarts, which aren’t open-source by themselves, yet you can find many Chinese knockoffs on Alibaba.

One exception is the FX-PAK Pro (formerly SD2SNES’s) which is open-source and has higher quality clones.

If someone so desires, they could reverse engineer the device and make their own clones.

Exactly. You make a great point.

Also, the “and all photos that I post will not have the PCB itself exposed” seems extra mean, considering anyone can see the PCB once they get one. That’s much more closed than most established manufacturers.

Here’s the thing. If it was made by some well known manufacturer then fine. Be closed.
But from an unknown random person? You are asking a lot of faith from everyone by making it as closed as you can. I don’t know your reputation or if you even know anything about electronics and design. It is a major risk to the consumer, specially for something that will plug in to a $2000+ laptop.

I put down on this before I was aware of this “anti-scrutiny or anti-transpareny” policy of the creator. Need to refund this I think.

9 Likes

This is currently not possible without chips that as I stated before required the project to be completely close sourced

5 Likes

This. Vote with your wallet.

FYI, the absolute maximum I can provide is the 3D print files without causing legal problems, this isn’t my policy, but the company that I’m working with. If you want one that will let me provide all design files then it will not have PD support (65W), and likely double the price.

8 Likes

When do you think we’ll be able to see a specsheet and or photos of the final result? Furthermore any estimate as to when those who preordered will be reciving theirs? Lastly do you know hom much this card effects battery life in comparsion to just a plain old USB-C expansion card?